PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating seafood mix

mlw
08-01-2010, 10:53 PM
The other night I fed my fish my seafood mix. I left two pieces in the glad container I feed them from and it dried up, then I got the idea to use a dehydrator to dry the mix and use it that way.

then I thought I could use the vacuum pack majiggy thing to seal them in plastic bags.

Would that work and would it be healthy for the fish?

Eddie
08-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm sure it could work but is there a reason why you'd like to go through that additional process?

Eddie

mlw
08-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah Eddie,
for the second time this summer my kids left freezer door ajar and I had to throw out all my frozen fish food.

luckyfind
08-02-2010, 05:31 PM
That would be a good reason. If you have a dehydrater why not use it and skip the freezing altogether. Maybe someone on here knows if the quality of the food changes buy using either method over the other?

Eddie
08-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah Eddie,
for the second time this summer my kids left freezer door ajar and I had to throw out all my frozen fish food.

Sounds like a good reason! If the fish like it, I try not to argue with them! :D

Ed13
08-02-2010, 08:01 PM
A shortwhile ago I dropped a small piece of seafood mix. Totally forgot about it untill next morning when it was the first thing I saw when I walked into the room:rolleyes:. Picked it up, it had no smell or insects. It also had the texture of moist pellets(not wet). I imediate thought, maybe someone ought to dehydrate this stuff:idea2:. I don't have a clue as to how even the process is done, but I'm very curious of the results if you do go through with it.
One thing that also came to mind is that it'll float, so maybe do a small batch as to not waste too much ingredients.