PDA

View Full Version : If you've ever painted your tank I need your advice

Jennie
08-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Yesterday I decided since I was having trouble keeping background taped to tank that I would paint my tank background on. WELL, I just assumed the color I chose would be the color that showed through the glass. This was not the case. All soft light colors just appeared white through the glass, so I found some leftover dk brown paint and tried that color. It shows through as medium tan, which I actually like because it looks like the color of my walls. Now, this is not the only color I want to do. I was thinking about using a wool pad to rub off some of the first coat here and there and apply a second color to show through. But if every color appears differently and much lighter this is where I'm stuck. Any ideas?? Is there a special paint??

Eddie
08-04-2010, 06:58 AM
Yesterday I decided since I was having trouble keeping background taped to tank that I would paint my tank background on. WELL, I just assumed the color I chose would be the color that showed through the glass. This was not the case. All soft light colors just appeared white through the glass, so I found some leftover dk brown paint and tried that color. It shows through as medium tan, which I actually like because it looks like the color of my walls. Now, this is not the only color I want to do. I was thinking about using a wool pad to rub off some of the first coat here and there and apply a second color to show through. But if every color appears differently and much lighter this is where I'm stuck. Any ideas?? Is there a special paint??

What type of paint? I've used all krylon spray paint and light colors appear a little lighter but not white.

Eddie

Jennie
08-04-2010, 06:59 AM
just basic water based interior paint.

What type of paint? I've used all krylon spray paint and light colors appear a little lighter but not white.

Eddie

Jennie
08-04-2010, 07:00 AM
i don;t want to do spray paint in the house. I have parrots

Eddie
08-04-2010, 07:02 AM
i don;t want to do spray paint in the house. I have parrots

LOL, yeah, I highly advise against using spray paint indoors! I have never tried any other types. :o

Eddie

Jennie
08-04-2010, 07:05 AM
hmm so basically just go buy a super dark paint and hope for thew best. i only have one shot at it.

LOL, yeah, I highly advise against using spray paint indoors! I have never tried any other types. :o

Eddie

Eddie
08-04-2010, 07:10 AM
hmm so basically just go buy a super dark paint and hope for thew best. i only have one shot at it.

I have no idea, I have never used other types of paint to my tanks. :( Is there no way to get all the paint off and try a different background? Is there any way you could temporarily move the fish and take to the tank outside to spray paint it?

Jennie
08-04-2010, 07:16 AM
I moved the juvies out of it already and was adding pool sand to it today. No one to help me move tank and the hubby will grumble and moan. oh well. I guess I'll just by a super dark sage green and hope it comes out medium sage or something

I have no idea, I have never used other types of paint to my tanks. :( Is there no way to get all the paint off and try a different background? Is there any way you could temporarily move the fish and take to the tank outside to spray paint it?

Eddie
08-04-2010, 07:17 AM
I moved the juvies out of it already and was adding pool sand to it today. No one to help me move tank and the hubby will grumble and moan. oh well. I guess I'll just by a super dark sage green and hope it comes out medium sage or something

Okay well, hope it turns out.

Take care,

Eddie

Jennie
08-04-2010, 07:19 AM
sigh:confused:

Okay well, hope it turns out.

Take care,

Eddie

ZX10R
08-04-2010, 08:03 AM
I painted my 30 gallon tank just using some Benjamin Moore interior paint. I used a light blue paint and it came out a little lighter then on the walls but not bad I put on three coats of paint. You have to remember instead of painting on top of drywall which is a white background you are painting something clear and looking thru glass or acrylic at the color. I think when you get the color you want and do enough coats of paint you can't see thru it then fill it with water you will be happy. My blue wasn't that much off it botherd me.

3dees
08-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I painted my tank in the house. I use flat latex. if it needs to be changed a scraper or even a credit card removes it easily. I used a small foam roller and it took 3 coats. I would like to change the color from the black to a brown but I dread the thought of moving a 120 gal tank from the wall,lol.

dawrtw
08-04-2010, 10:13 AM
I painted my 220 with reg. interior Black.
The first three coats had me worried to death. It looked like I was just tinting the glass. It took 6 coats but it looks great, Let it dry good between coats. I used a small roller about 4" wide.

Did the same thing with a 20 gal. using an aqua color. Again it took six coats for me to be happy with it. The first few just seem to mess it up or tint it at best but the latter three seem to make all the difference.

Hope this helps.

Harriett
08-04-2010, 10:20 AM
When painting the back of a tank, I always want to consider what color of discus/what strain are going in there--besides the reasonable rule not to paint dark colors if you have PBs or blues, I want to fine tune it to work with the type of discus I will be using in that tank. Just a thought. I want the back to create real punch with the color of the fish or simply blend with the aquascaping to create and colr a natural cohesive background if I am going for another look. We had a thread recently about setting up biotope tanks and some consideration and posting was related to backgrounds. It's worth taking a look.
Best regards,
Harriett

Discus master
08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
I just bought and used that vinyl back round in the black and it looks like a matt black you peel off the backing and wet it and the back of the tank with a soapy wet solution and postion it and use a credit card or whatever smooth it out and trim off any excess. I did this and it creates a very tight seall it looks really nice wish I would had another person to help me it took me a while to get all the bubbles out but well worth it it gives the tank a nice modern feel. I like it!

Jennie
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
so it DOES take many coats then. Weird? I am rolling it on. Just one coat and it did great coverage but of course just tan. My fish are 1 PE, 1 AESS, ! BDTB and ! CTurk. So many whites and reds. I've added pool sand and 1 large piece of driftwood in the center and fake plants and 1 real plant around the driftwood leaving open space on each end for the fish to have room. It's bright with the sand, wow. Going to add fish next.

peterhql
08-04-2010, 02:04 PM
If I'm not spraying my tanks I use vinyl. Oracal 631 I think.

Jennie
08-04-2010, 02:12 PM
where to get??

If I'm not spraying my tanks I use vinyl. Oracal 631 I think.

Jennie
08-04-2010, 02:16 PM
harriet, I went through that up and down and couldn't find link

When painting the back of a tank, I always want to consider what color of discus/what strain are going in there--besides the reasonable rule not to paint dark colors if you have PBs or blues, I want to fine tune it to work with the type of discus I will be using in that tank. Just a thought. I want the back to create real punch with the color of the fish or simply blend with the aquascaping to create and colr a natural cohesive background if I am going for another look. We had a thread recently about setting up biotope tanks and some consideration and posting was related to backgrounds. It's worth taking a look.
Best regards,
Harriett

Discus-n00b
08-04-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm like Eddie and only used spray paint on my tanks. However, before I sprayed the tank I found an extra piece of glass and sprayed the colors on that first to see how it would look, even through water. You might be able to do the same, find a cheap piece or extra piece of glass to test first.

Just a suggestion, wish I could help more.

Harriett
08-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Jennie,
it is here:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=81181

Its called "Biotope Section? Your thoughts please?" Bill's photos and video are # 11 and 12.
Best regards,
Harriett

birdog
08-04-2010, 03:17 PM
If you want a nice medium blue, Sherwin Williams makes agreat one.
It took 2 coats with a 7" banana roller.

I'll post the name of color and product specs when I get home.

David

Jennie
08-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I commented on that tank before yes. It is beautiful. I'm kind of trying to go multi colored as well but colors weren't showing like supposed to.

Jennie,
it is here:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=81181

Its called "Biotope Section? Your thoughts please?" Bill's photos and video are # 11 and 12.
Best regards,
Harriett

Jennie
08-04-2010, 04:34 PM
tank as you can see the dark brown paint is tan. needs more color but I like tan so far.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/discuslover65/photo.jpg

Jennie
08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
another, I know I know, fake plants! but they work easy

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/discuslover65/discus.jpg

Eddie
08-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Yup, nice color. Look like a nice tan. Works well with your discus variety.

Eddie

Jennie
08-04-2010, 09:11 PM
lol Eddie, That did not offer me any additional color advice.

Yup, nice color. Look like a nice tan. Works well with your discus variety.

Eddie

mmorris
08-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Tank looks great! :)