PDA

View Full Version : Gill flukes on fry

Sivasama
08-07-2010, 06:43 PM
How soon have any of you seen gill flukes on fry? I'm at about 2 weeks and some of my fry seem erratic at times. I've not seen it in fry before so I can't be sure. My gut feeling is flukes. This is my first batch so I have no experience with this. It looks like they flash off the parents at times. I saw one away from the parents dart around the tank and off the bottom. I have prazipro on hand. Would it be okay to treat with? Maybe this is normal? I just didn't want to wait too long as I know they can die from it.

jimg
08-07-2010, 07:31 PM
I have had them attack at dime size. I would use the prazi. It may not wipe them out but it will knock their numbers down. Scope them to make sure there are flukes on them first.

boxters
08-07-2010, 08:39 PM
fry at 2 weeks and meds is a no in my books. I think what you are refering to are belly sliders. They dart around and rarely life past a few weeks. Just keep up the fresh water.

jaykne
08-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I saw mine do the same thing at that age once in a while, just did my water changes and ignored it they are now almost 6weeks very healthy. Medicate as a last resort!!!

Sivasama
08-08-2010, 07:38 AM
No scope, so that's out. I'll just keep up the water changes and see what happens. Small batch and a learning experience for me. When I move the fry at the end of next week I will treat the parents if I see them flashing. I haven't seen them do anything. It may be nothing. Time will tell for sure.. Thanks for your valuable input.

Sivasama
08-17-2010, 11:02 PM
3 weeks and I still have flashing. They rush up to the parents and flash along them. Not sure if they do this more when they are eating live BBS? Maybe it's from the BBS in the gills? Still changing water and waiting.

boxters
08-18-2010, 05:51 AM
maybe you are mistaking belly sliders for flashing?

Sivasama
08-18-2010, 06:40 AM
They don't do this on the bottom of the tank...and seems only when feeding. I will just keep watching. No deaths yet to report.

Travis

Rex82
08-18-2010, 06:16 PM
sometimes when the fry are eating off the parents they sort of flash when eating to tear off the slime. maybe thats what you are seeing