PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer

jball1125
08-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Anyone recommend a good thermometer? I have 3 in my tank right now and they are all reading different temps! I'm just looking for something more accurate because I'm tiered of wondering if my temps are right.

Jhhnn
08-07-2010, 10:19 PM
I have a Thomas 9317A25 pocket thermo that I use to establish a baseline in my tanks, each of which has a stick-on ATI LCD thermo from Jehmco or Kensfish. The stick ons are very accurate in a relative sort of way, because the temp can be different in different parts of the tank. If the stick-ons show something different than usual, I use the pocket thermo to be sure...

http://www.thomassci.com/1192d484-da58-4733-8d82-cf73e56817e2/_/THOMAS-EASY-READ-THERMOMETERS/

Justice
08-07-2010, 10:22 PM
I use these two http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/21811/50-HI98501 and http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/21811/50-HI98509 there are others also made by Hanna Instruments that are as good or even better, although they are all pricey but Hanna Instruments thermometers have my trust or at least as much trust as i am prepared to give any thermometer.

~HTH~

Jennie
08-07-2010, 10:42 PM
I have a quality meat thermometer I use It's very accurate

Jhhnn
08-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Part of the reason I use and like the LCD stick-ons is that they give a reasonable approximation of temperature at a glance. I think that's important. Having a highly accurate thermometer is good when setting heaters, but it won't tell you anything while it's in storage...

Heaters are, imo, the least reliable part of aquarium systems. The fact that they can stick on, cook your fish, means that it's smart to check the temp during feeding and maintenance. The LCD stick-ons provide that in an easy to use format and are basically indestructible at the same time... 86F is dead center on the ATI models, making it super easy...

jimg
08-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I have a $350 hanna meter and if you go to walmart they have a little white digital probe thermometer under $10 that always has the exact readings as the hanna!

jball1125
08-08-2010, 12:44 PM
thanks everyone for the help!!! I think that a digital probe thermo will be bought and also some of the LCD's like jhhhn advised. I was also looking into the infrared point thermometers but wasn't sure how good they would be. I know a lot of people in the reptile biz swear by them but I'm not sure how accurate they would be when pointed at water.

Jhhnn
08-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm sure some would consider me to be a dinosaur, but there's something to be said for the simple elegance of a good spirit thermometer. Mine is guaranteed accurate with .5 degrees C. It doesn't need batteries and never loses calibration. Properly stored, it'll basically last forever. I keep mine vertical in the pencil holder on my desk, where it's always ready when I want to use it.

For my purposes, it doesn't get any better than that.

jimg
08-08-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm sure some would consider me to be a dinosaur, but there's something to be said for the simple elegance of a good spirit thermometer. Mine is guaranteed accurate with .5 degrees C. It doesn't need batteries and never loses calibration. Properly stored, it'll basically last forever. I keep mine vertical in the pencil holder on my desk, where it's always ready when I want to use it.

I'm gonna order a couple of those

jball1125
08-08-2010, 11:05 PM

You are right. I hate having to calibrate. I will aso place an order for one. THANKS again for the help. :)