PDA

View Full Version : Question about age Vs size?

Ad7
08-08-2010, 07:10 PM
In general how old is a, say, 3" Discus?
Or a 5" Discus?
When is it classified an adult?
How many classifications are there, fry, juvie, sub-adult, adult and how big are they in these stages?
How long does it take for a discus to reach full size?

Sorry about all the questions but im looking at getting some discus and would like to be able to gauge the age of the fish depending on the size. I will be buying from a reputable source, one of the sponsors here on SD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ad.

Jennie
08-08-2010, 07:20 PM
best thing to do is ask your sponsor. especially if they are the breeder as well. I've learned myself that dfferent strains grow at different rates.

Altum Nut
08-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Here is a thread that may narrow specific question you were asking.
Hope it helps,
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=81252

...Ralph

Jennie
08-08-2010, 08:48 PM
lol, asked those same q's a month ago.

Here is a thread that may narrow specific question you were asking.
Hope it helps,
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=81252

...Ralph

discuspaul
08-08-2010, 10:38 PM
In general how old is a, say, 3" Discus?
Or a 5" Discus?
When is it classified an adult?
How many classifications are there, fry, juvie, sub-adult, adult and how big are they in these stages?
How long does it take for a discus to reach full size?

Sorry about all the questions but im looking at getting some discus and would like to be able to gauge the age of the fish depending on the size. I will be buying from a reputable source, one of the sponsors here on SD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ad.

Very tough question to answer - Depends on the source & reliability/integrity of that source. ( And of course, the conditions it was grown out in.)
3" discus could be anywhere from 3-6 months, more or less, to who knows, if runt or stunted. 5" discus could be great specimens just about to complete growing out, or fully matured adult 5 year olds.
If you're buying from a reputable breeder/importer, (& sponsor here on SD), you should be able to rely on what he tells you about age - if it's ,e.g., 3" & he tells you say, 4 months, that should be a reasonable indication it's growing out well & should continue to do so, with the right conditions, treatment, feedings, etc.
If grown out properly, a discus should be 5"-6", or more, @ adult stage.
Might normally take 12 - 18 months to reach that stage.
That's my .02 cents - hope it helps.
Paul

Ad7
08-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Thank you, every bit of information i can get helps.

Ad