PDA

View Full Version : WHICH SAND SUB TO USE! Please HELP THX

flyer1988
08-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Hi, Im looking for a sand substrate for my 4th fish tank to be honest guys I got a really good deal on the flora which is for plants at $11.00 a bag which I bought two it was like on a really good sale or at least to my opinion. My goal was to plant baby dwarf tears after a unsuccessful attempt around a year back. Yet, I have been seeing pictures and video of sand aquarium and am totally in craving one. I was thinking about going back to petco and return back the gravel and purchase sand. Now I have read people mention about sand sold in home depot, lowes, and walmart which I believe are not really for aquarium, but do the work. Guys please I need help making my choice as I have no clue which sand substrate to use. In addition I would like to say that I have invested alot in the tank and stand and which to not waste money going the planted way since I do have a coral life lighting but I would have to upgrade due to the new size of the tank In addition I think baby dwarf tears are a bit expensive once shipping is included. So please guys can you all post pictures of sand or tell me which sand substrate to use cause Im really in a condition were I have no idea what to buy and dont want to make a mistake and end up with mud like sand or sand stuck in my filter ect. Thank You and I apologize for my long chat. Thank You all for your help, and god bless.

Tank size - Marine land 37 Gallon I know its small for discus but I just want 2 juvi, and maybe upgrade later to a bigger one.

Im really in a tight budget and am making the best of everydollar please let me know what you all would do. Should I return the Flora substrate and go for sand or should I go sand, since I heard its easier to clean. Thank you:)

Jennie
08-09-2010, 11:11 PM
I just bought pool filter sand. Its awsome and heavy enough not to be sucked up by the python. available at spa dealer stores or home depot/lowes. I also have some anubias and swords planted but not shown in pic http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/discuslover65/discus.jpg

Altum Nut
08-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I second that as DiscusLover65 was faster on the keyboard.
I too use Pool Filter White Silica Sand which also meets your budget.
Just rinse it well to avoid water clouding during tank set-up.

...Ralph

flyer1988
08-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Thank You, discuslover65.

Thats kinda the way I want my tank to look, I want something clean not too much vegitation, since my goal is for the discus to show more than anything yet provide some plants for comfort of the fish. In addition what brand did you use of pool filter sand, and for about how much did you purchase it. If possible do you have like a picture of the bag? so that I can be sure to buy the same one as you. Finally do you see any cons in using sand that I should be aware and ready for?

By, the way you have beautiful discus fish. You can tell there really happy to be your pets.:)

flyer1988
08-10-2010, 12:13 AM
To: Altum Nut or anyone having more information about this - I have read forums were people say to stay away from Silica Sand. Im not against you Altum Nut since to be honest Im am but a beginner to all this and it is simply just a question of curiousity. But why do you suggest to get a sand with Silica? does it provide better nutricion, less algae, cleaner sand? Sorry but I just dont know what it really stands for. In addition how long does sand last in a tank, could it last 3-4 years or less or more?:)

thank you all, and my deepest apologies for the lack of knowledge that I have towards this subject. I am deeply greatful for all your help, god bless.

Jennie
08-10-2010, 07:36 AM
50 lb bag was 14$. It also said on the bag pre rinsed and to my surprise I did not have to rinse more than once. Water was barely cloudy for a few hours. Behind the mopani and plants I hide a hydro sponge V running with a power head, but am seasoning a IV to replace the V.
The discus are from Kenney. They are beautiful and I couldn't be more happy with Kenny and his service.

Thank You, discuslover65.

Thats kinda the way I want my tank to look, I want something clean not too much vegitation, since my goal is for the discus to show more than anything yet provide some plants for comfort of the fish. In addition what brand did you use of pool filter sand, and for about how much did you purchase it. If possible do you have like a picture of the bag? so that I can be sure to buy the same one as you. Finally do you see any cons in using sand that I should be aware and ready for?

By, the way you have beautiful discus fish. You can tell there really happy to be your pets.:)

Sharkbait
08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Pool filter sand all the way.

I'd be more worried about your lighting to make sure it can grow baby tears.

flyer1988
08-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Well Sharkbait - Im actually not going towards baby dwarf tears any longer due to the expenditures I would have to make inorder to accomplish success. I have a CoraLife but it wont be used but only to grow anubias and not too demanding light plants. Thank you though for your help all of you...If there's more info I should know about please do post comments. Thank you

Altum Nut
08-10-2010, 05:52 PM
To: Altum Nut or anyone having more information about this - I have read forums were people say to stay away from Silica Sand. Im not against you Altum Nut since to be honest Im am but a beginner to all this and it is simply just a question of curiousity. But why do you suggest to get a sand with Silica? does it provide better nutricion, less algae, cleaner sand? Sorry but I just dont know what it really stands for. In addition how long does sand last in a tank, could it last 3-4 years or less or more?:)

thank you all, and my deepest apologies for the lack of knowledge that I have towards this subject. I am deeply greatful for all your help, god bless.

From what I know....pool filter sand has ('Crystalline Silica').
I have used it for many years without any issues. Just rinse in water and do not stir or handle when dry....only under water to keep dust down.

...Ralph

tcyiu
08-10-2010, 09:12 PM
I have read forums were people say to stay away from Silica Sand. Im not against you Altum Nut since to be honest Im am but a beginner to all this and it is simply just a question of curiousity. But why do you suggest to get a sand with Silica?

Sand is mostly silica. (Plus a bunch of other stuff that varies depending on where the sand is mined etc.). Unless you're suggesting crushed coral sand (which you would NOT use in a discus tank), it would be hard to avoid silica.

Pure silica is chemically inert. A fancy way of saying that it does NOT react with most chemicals under normal circumstances.

What you are referring to is age old confusion regarding sand and algae growth. If you have pure silica, there will be ZERO contribution to any unwanted algae because silica is inert.

But sand is almost never pure silica (unless manufactured). So the impurities (depending on where the sand is from) may in fact contribute to algae. But it would be impurities that are the cause, not the silica.

So disregard the posts from people who like throw scientific sounding terms like "silica" around, without really understanding the science. Sand may or may not cause unwanted algae in your tank. But silica will not.

Tim