PDA

View Full Version : 1 year anniversary

fishorama
08-11-2010, 11:45 AM
So, It's been a year into my discus adventure, thought I'd give an update. I started with 10 2in babies from a local hobby breeder, golden leopard X F2 golden (brown). They now look like red or blue turks, I very happy with that as turks are favs. A couple have slightly chipped eyes or at least not round, I should have found SD sooner, but not that big a deal to me either.

I lost 2 early on from spooking & crashing into the tank & lid, possibly due to tap water issues or shadows after I moved the tank. "Spooky" hit his head too & did tail standing/off balance things for a while but did recover to the point I'm not quite sure which he is anymore. I suspect he's the 1 that has staked out the end away from the door with a couple friends but they all sleep there together most of the time.

They're still in a 55g BB with 2 HOBs & 2 potted crypts. :o past time for their new tank. I no longer change water daily more like 50% 4 times a week or so, using unaged tap. A little more lately since I water the potted tomato plants with discus water. I've cut back a little on feeding, 4-5 times a day instead of 5-6. I no longer study their poo as much either :D.

I hand fed them from the start & they will eat anything I hold, only a couple will take food from the surface. They are incredibly spoiled for food choices: seafood mix & Ken's beefheart flake 1-2 times a day with BH, frz bloodworms, BS, various flake & pellets on rotation. I've cut back on BH & give more seafood, I need to make more of both very soon.

I'm a little disappointed the smaller ones are only 4.75+ inches, the big 5.5+ but I'm still hoping they'll grow a bit but if not it's ok. Thickening up some would be nice too. Not as much fighting as I expected though there is some, usually between 2 of the bigger guys. Nothing that resembles flirting so I'm hoping that means they'll do some more growing. I don't want to think about breeding any time soon :scared:

Sorry for no pics, my husband lost the camera :argue: I never learned to use it anyway, not our hobby.

So thanks SD :thumbsup: for helping me make through this year. I learned a lot more & worked harder than I would have thought possible without you here. And I'll see some of you Sat at the NEDA meet.

Nancy

Eddie
08-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Happy Anniversary Nancy! Sounds like you've had a great experience overall. Look forward to seeing pictures of your fishes when you get the camera back or when you learn how to use it! ;)

Take care,

Eddie

fishorama
08-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks Eddie & thanks for the help. It has been great but I'm not ready to start over again just yet. Well, Martha's sapphires are oh so tempting & almost ready, &, &...you guys are great but also evil temptors LOL.

The camera is gone for good I'm afraid, boozing chemist conference :mad:. Might be a blurry juvie pic or 2 on the other computer. But they're much prettier now.