PDA

View Full Version : You Guys Are Brilliant..

zekni
08-12-2010, 03:01 AM
... I hope :), so here goes:

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
Two weeks ago my boyfriend got me a discus for my birthday, quarantined in a 30 gal trash can next to my juvie discus tank. Fish appeared healthy at first, was eating the first few days, then turned dark, developed rot on one pectoral fin, which it held clamped to its side, and also developed patches of filminess (not cottony) on it's sides and body. Treated with 5tbs salt/gallon. Died a week into treatment. The tank next door housing twenty-two .5"-3" juvies are now all showing the same symptoms.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
Turning dark, clamped fins, most are not eating as of yesterday, one pectoral fin clamped to body, tail rot, lilting to one side and/or headstanding. This varies fish to fish. Three of 22 died yesterday.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
Started metro and kanaplex today

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
90 gallon, tank is 5 months old, 19 (was 22) juvies: two are 3", 8 are approx 2-2.5", the rest are .5"-1"

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
Barebottom, 50% waterchanges/day, tank has been up 5months and was cycled before I added discus about two months ago. Do not age my water. Ph is the same out of the tap.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____86

- ph _____ 7.8

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____.5 prior to waterchanges, drops almost to 0 after

- well water ____no

- municipal water ____yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently. no, but obviously there was cross contamination. I have a filthy kitten (no really, his tail is so fluffy he picks up all kinds of dirt) who I know likes to drink from the filters, but this did not occur to me when I but the quarantine can next to the tank with the most money.. err, fish in it. I have a can of air next to all the tanks to try and disuade him because he freaks out the fish, but am not home all the time.

I'm guessing parasites and bacterial infections from the reading I've done, which is why I started on the metro and kanamyacin, but want to run this by everyone else to make sure I'm on the right track. I have other tanks in different rooms I would rather not start losing other fish out of. No other tanks showing symptoms thus far. I bleach all hoses and equipment prior to use on each tank.

Eddie
08-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Treated with 5tbs salt/gallon.

Thats alot of salt. The fish was in this for a week? :(

As far as the juvies, tough call. Its definitely something that was cross contaminated. Metro has little effect on parasites. Kanamycin will treat the bacteria infection but if there are still parasites affecting the fish, you'll want to deal with that first. Since you've already went ahead and treated, you'll want to keep that going since Kanamycin is an antibiotic. It should not be stopped prematurely.

Eddie

zekni
08-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Whoops, my bad. Should have been 5tbs/per 10 gallons. Started out at 2tbls/10 gal and increased daily.
Would have been floating upsidedown if it was per gallon. :P Oh wait.. it ended up floating upsidedown anyway. :(

zekni
08-12-2010, 08:22 PM
They look to be feeling better today. Most of them ate, and the color on several of them has improved. Fingers crossed that I don't lose any more.