PDA

View Full Version : Hatching bbs and chloramine

Sivasama
08-13-2010, 11:14 PM
So I started hatch live bbs this week and had good luck with the basic 2 liter set up. I was adding a drop of prime to my mix since I never saw instructions stating anything about chlorine or chloramines. Anyone have knowledge on this? I started a batch without and the hatch seems to be bad? I dropped my heat down as well, so maybe that has slowed down the hatch more than I thought it would.

Elite Aquaria
08-14-2010, 08:33 AM
I have Chlorine and Chloramine in my water and I never add and declor products

mmorris
08-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Have you successfully hatched eggs from the same container before?

Sivasama
08-14-2010, 10:17 AM

Yeah, but with Prime added. This last hatch was very poor for some reason. Not sure what happened. I will see how the next batch goes this afternoon. Not sure why this last batch was so bad.
So, what's this decaping eggs. You guys ever try this and how is it done. I get my shrimp eggs from brine shrimp direct so I know they are good.

Thanks again

Travis

Sivasama
08-15-2010, 08:40 AM

Just using a 2 liter pop bottle cut off and turned upside down. I had another horrible hatch. I figure it ends up at a liter and a half at most. I use 2 tbs of salt and .75 teas of eggs. I've got air and light on it. I have them in 80 degree water. The eggs are kept in the fridge until ready for use. It has been 10+ years since I've hatched these but I never had issues before. I used to use glass canning jars but thought the 2 liter would be better. My water is hard and has a ph over 8. I have a water softener but the water is still a bit hard. If I can't get these going my fry are going to start suffering. They are 3 weeks old and will take some artificial food but not like the live bbs. I hatched a few batches in a 1 liter a few times before going to the 2 liters. They had better hatches but still not great. I am backing down to .5 teaspoon of eggs to see if the hatch rate goes up. Maybe I need more water for that many eggs. The only thing I can think of is the eggs took 3 days to get here and the weather was very hot. Would the eggs be bad from heat? They come in a sealed can.

Sivasama
08-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Oh, how stupid..... Figured out the big mystery. I had a container with salt in it.....aquarium salt. Wrong kind of salt. I tried some salt from the dinner table and I had more shrimp then I've hatched in 8 batches. I'm back in the game and the kids are happy.

stanlee
08-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Oh, how stupid..... Figured out the big mystery. I had a container with salt in it.....aquarium salt. Wrong kind of salt. I tried some salt from the dinner table and I had more shrimp then I've hatched in 8 batches. I'm back in the game and the kids are happy.
sorry, but are u saying that aquarium salt not hatching as well as the table salt?
thnks

Sivasama
08-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Yep, it made a HUGE difference. I had some API aquarium salt...it is for medicating. I forgot I had it in a different container. I haven't changed a thing but the salt and now I have more then I can feed. Salt looks like salt but the API is from Sea Salt I guess. Iodized is what I have for common salt. Made a monster difference. Maybe others have made this mistake and are having a hard time hatching because of it?

Travis

Jhhnn
08-21-2010, 12:10 AM
That business with the salt seems weird, but it's sorted out, right?

Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs won't hatch- they're fed directly, as is. They need to be soaked before feeding, iirc...

How they get decapsulated, dunno. They're supposed to be quite nutritious, and are a way for providers to market batches of eggs with low hatch rates...

Sivasama
08-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Yep, no problems with my hatching since switching salt. Can't really explain it but I see the result. Thanks for the explanation of the decals.

Travis

Willie
08-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Yep, it made a HUGE difference. I had some API aquarium salt...it is for medicating. I forgot I had it in a different container. I haven't changed a thing but the salt and now I have more then I can feed. Salt looks like salt but the API is from Sea Salt I guess. Iodized is what I have for common salt. Made a monster difference. Maybe others have made this mistake and are having a hard time hatching because of it?

Travis

I use pickling salt from the local grocery (cheap, iodized and fine) and it works fine to hatch bbs.

Willie

Sivasama
08-21-2010, 08:15 PM
I wondered about that as well. I made some pickles and have a huge amount of that canning salt left....good to know I can use it for hatching.

Thanks

Travis