PDA

View Full Version : Question about temp and disease.

mugzy213
08-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Does having temp at 82 (breeder tanks) make discus have a big problem with Hexima (fungal disease), and it dies out at temps above 84 degrees? I've been doing alot of reading And I was wondering about this.

Thanks for ur help.

HAL

Eddie
08-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Does having temp at 82 (breeder tanks) make discus have a big problem with Hexima (fungal disease), and it dies out at temps above 84 degrees? I've been doing alot of reading And I was wondering about this.

Thanks for ur help.

HAL

Hexamita is not a fungus, its a flagellate.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm053

mugzy213
08-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Hexamita is not a fungus, its a flagellate.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm053

thanks Eddie!

discuspaul
08-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Mugzy
When treating for Hex and some other ailments, raising the temp can assist, if nothing else, by boosting the fish' metabolism and increasing appetite, (especially good if fish aren't eating) and it is said that flagellates won't survive at sufficiently high temp - but not 84 F, as I understand it - more like 90 to 92 degrees. That's my .02 cents.

discuspaul
08-16-2010, 08:48 PM
P.S.
Not sure why you would have temp of 82 in a breeding tank anyway, but that shouldn't cause an onset of Hex. in any event, so far as I know.

Eddie
08-16-2010, 09:05 PM

Thanks for ur help.

HAL

Also, I keep all my breeding pairs at 82F now, been for a while. ;) Higher temps are not going to rid your fish of flagellates or nobody would have a problem with them. LOL Hobbyists keep their temps in the high range and still have problems with flagellates. :o

scottthomas
08-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Also, I keep all my breeding pairs at 82F now, been for a while. ;) Higher temps are not going to rid your fish of flagellates or nobody would have a problem with them. LOL Hobbyists keep their temps in the high range and still have problems with flagellates. :o

+1 I keep my breeders at 82 also