PDA

View Full Version : Set up for 65 gallon tank: help!

DiscusBR
08-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi All,

I am going back to discus-keeping after a 15-year interruption (kid is going to college and I am going to have less stress at work). I am planning to buy a 65 gallon tank to keep 5 discus, about 6 harlequin rasboras, 8 cardinal tetras, and 3 corydoras. It will be a planted aquarium with two 40% water changes per week. I have read a lot about filtration and it seems that canister filters would be the best option. However, there is a lot of contradictory information about them. I am planning to purchase two Eheim 2215 filters for this 65 gallon aquarium. My questions: Would these two filters be enough? Is is true that two Eheiam 2213 wouldn't be sufficient? Will two canister filters provide enough water flow or I also need to add a powerhead for oxygenation? Would 6 discus be too much? What is the best material to use for plants and for water quality, gravel, some type of sand?

Thanks in advance.

morillonj
08-15-2010, 05:42 PM
scratch the powerhead unless your going to hook it up to the canister itself. discus dont need all that much flow. for the same price as a eheim you can get something that does more gph an hour. as for myself i have a cascade 1000 that does 265 gph. i got it on ebay brand new for $110. then you can get a good hob filter. like a magnum HOT or a aquaclear. that would be cheaper then 2 eheims.

morillonj
08-15-2010, 05:43 PM
oh and i suggest pool filter sand. i got the sand from leslies pool supply. its a all white silica sand. a 50lb bag is about 10 bucks. and the best thing it already comes pre cleaned.

diveshooter
08-15-2010, 06:10 PM
I've never used Eheims, but I would think one would be enough. I run a Rena Filstar XP3 rated at 350 gph on my 90 gallon planted and its more than enough. Just keep up with the water changes.
You may want to visit the planted tank forums to find out what others are using on their setups. I spent about six months establishing the plants in my tank before adding discus.
As for substrate, I went with 2 12 lb. bags of Red Sea Florabase (what was available at my LFS)capped with approx. 150 lbs. crushed coral (left over from my saltwater setup). Don't use too fine of a cap or you'll get anerobic spots.
Good luck

discuspaul
08-15-2010, 07:16 PM
6 fish should do just fine, and if I may suggest, go for at least 4.0" in size, since you're only planning 2 X 40% w/c's per week. And take care not to super-populate your tank with plants & other decor - make it as easy to keep clean - vacuum, etc. as you can.
I've tried many different types of filters in both fresh & saltwater tanks up to 130 gallons over the years - but now pretty well go solely with HOB's - Easier to handle, to monitor, keep clean, change media, etc. - although perhaps a touch less quiet than canisters. Can't beat Aquaclear.
Agree with using white pool filter silica sand - makes for a great look with discus.
Good luck with everything !

DiscusBR
08-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Thank you all for your replies, which are really useful. But are there any Eheim users who could give me some more advice? I find over the top filters too noisy and I have read that they are not as effective as canister filters. Is one Eheim 2215 only enough for a 65 gallon tank or should I combine two? In this case, would two 2213 be enough of should I use two 2215?

Keith Perkins
08-15-2010, 08:58 PM
HOT Magnum or Aquaclear are both great choices for HOB filters. The Aquaclear has the advantage of flow control, while you can run a bio-wheel with the HOT Magnum. The Magnum 350 is a decent canister filter, but the hassle with any canister is cleaning the hoses from time to time. I never seem to get mine cleaned until the first time I start it back up and it shoots algae slim all over in my just cleaned tank. :mad:

I only do bare bottom, so no advice about sand or substrate. You shouldn't need a powerhead, but maybe a couple airstones would be a good addition. Your planned fish population sounds good, as does the variety. Sounds like it's going to be a nice tank.

Altum Nut
08-15-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm running a Eheim 2217 and 2x #5 sponge filters in my 65g for the last 2 years without any issues.

...Ralph

Willie
08-15-2010, 09:44 PM
You should expect to get adult discus because juveniles are not going to grow in a planted tank. Check around your local club and people may have adults available that are not breeding.

I disagree with the statement on water flow. I run powerheads in my 75's and 125's because the discus will eat more and grow faster. Adult discus are large fish and all large fish appreciate the extra aeration.

Of course, this is going to negate any CO2 that you may be trying to do. But then, it comes to your priorities: discus or plants.

Willie

exv152
08-16-2010, 12:06 PM
... My questions: Would these two filters be enough? Is is true that two Eheiam 2213 wouldn't be sufficient? Will two canister filters provide enough water flow or I also need to add a powerhead for oxygenation? ...What is the best material to use for plants and for water quality, gravel, some type of sand?

Thanks in advance.

I have three Eheim canister filters on different tanks, and imo they're simply the best quality filter on the market. I personally like a silent running filter, and the lack of bulky equipment around the tank. One 2215 is more than enough for a 65 gal tank without needing powerheads. As for substrate, that depends on your plant selection.

dpt8
08-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Hang on the back ( HOB ) best way to go.Canister is sealed and bacteria dies in power outage. Get two aquaclear 70's or an aquaclear 110 and hydro sponge 5 or two which runs on a small air pump. You'll be very successful. You can hide the sponges near/behind driftwood. Good luck.. David T

exv152
08-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Hang on the back ( HOB ) best way to go.Canister is sealed and bacteria dies in power outage....

Bacteria die in any filter when there's a power outage. The type of filter is really a personal choice, but the surface area for bacteria to colonize in a canister is muc larger than a hob, increasing its biological efficiency.

tcyiu
08-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Canister is sealed and bacteria dies in power outage.

Depends on how long the outage.

I have accidentally left a canister off for 24 hours and restarted with no problems.

If you are very concerned, you can always open up the canister for the duration of the outage.

Tim

P.S. I L O V E my Eheim classic.

Eddie
08-17-2010, 01:31 AM
I'd highly recommend to others that if your canister filter is off for 24 hours, to NOT turn it back on until its thoroughly rinsed out. :o