PDA

View Full Version : Water Changes with Fry & Moving Entire Tank?

DaydreamDiscus
08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Hey all,
I have a pair that didn't gobble up the fry that are beginning to free-swim and attach. However, I have a couple questions:

1) How would I do water changes back to regular tap water? it's currently 50% RO mixed, and pH sits at about 7.2; my tap water is about 7.8. I've heard fry are extra sensitive with water parameter changes. (Sorry, newbie question; first time using RO mix, never needed it before)

2) I am moving to a new place in the next two weeks; how would I transfer the parents and fry? I have extra tanks, etc. to mess around with, but wondering would the fry still attach to the parents after a move and would the parents even accept them back?

Thanks,
James F.

Keith Perkins
08-16-2010, 07:43 PM
1) How would I do water changes back to regular tap water? it's currently 50% RO mixed, and pH sits at about 7.2; my tap water is about 7.8. I've heard fry are extra sensitive with water parameter changes. (Sorry, newbie question; first time using RO mix, never needed it before)

Besides your Ph being different, your TDS will also be significantly different. I change mine over slowly from RO to non-RO so I don't shock them. You're right, fry are very sensitive to changes in water. You're going to want to make sure your water temps are very close to the same, and if anything a touch warmer rather than colder. I'd suggest reducing your % or RO by 10 each day to get back to straight tap, or even 5 if you can take the time.

2) I am moving to a new place in the next two weeks; how would I transfer the parents and fry? I have extra tanks, etc. to mess around with, but wondering would the fry still attach to the parents after a move and would the parents even accept them back?

I'd be afraid that the parents wouldn't take to the move very well and gobble up the fry at the other end. Many people separate fry from the parents at two weeks (I personally tend to do it a bit later) so I think I'd do that in your case. If you're asking specifically how to move them, assuming it's a shorter move I'd just bag them. If you deal with a particular LFS regularly, I'm sure you could get a few large ones from them if you don't have any.

DaydreamDiscus
08-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks CozyKeith..

The changing out 10% each time has worked with no type of shock anywhere..

Will take your advice on the 2 weeks; hopefully I can get them moved and dependent on bbs, flakes, etc. by then.. and will won't bother getting them back together on the other end of the move..

Keith Perkins
08-18-2010, 05:57 PM
At two weeks they'll probably only be eating bbs, I don't think they'll take flake that young. Good luck with the move.

jaykne
08-18-2010, 06:22 PM
I have very hard water have to use 90% RO water I had it back to staight tap water within a week. I took my fry from the parents at 2 weeks start feeding bbs twice a day by 4 days and uped it to 6 times a day by the end of first week, by 2weeks they were eating more than just bbs.

Keith Perkins
08-18-2010, 06:36 PM
What else did you have them eating at that point? Mine go from bbs to the beef heart their parents eat, so until they start eating the small particles of that it's just bbs for them.