PDA

View Full Version : Panacure (fenbenzadol) treatment?

Don Trinko
08-18-2010, 02:54 PM
I have a discus that apears to have internal worms. I suspect camallanus. I tryed levanisol and it does not apear to be working.
I have some fenbenzadol powder. I understand that it is mixed with food. All the recipes I have seen are in grams. Does anyone know what I need in teaspoons? I intend to mix it with FBW and possibly feed it only to the sick fish.
Any suggestions? Thanks; Don

pcsb23
08-18-2010, 04:18 PM
1 teaspoon is approximately 5 grams. But a lot will depend on the teaspoon, how compacted the powder is and how high you heap it. Gram scales cost around $15 and are accurate ;)

pcsb23
08-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Don I should have added may be worth checking my comments here too http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=674068#post674068 re the camallanus

brewmaster15
08-18-2010, 04:31 PM
I intend to mix it with FBW and possibly feed it only to the sick fish.
Any suggestions? Thanks; Don My suggestion is not to do this. This med can't get into the water column or you can harm your fish or worse...kill them...Its also not a drug to Overdose....it needs to be dosed accurately.

Don, why do you suspect Camallanus? have you seen them protruding from the fishes vent?

hth,
al

Don Trinko
08-18-2010, 06:50 PM
One fish swelled up near the vent. It now has swelling in one side apearently in the muscle. I did think I saw some worms hanging once but not consistantly.
I started with erythromycin thinking it was bacterial. (after epson salt for bloat) I tryed prazi because it is relativly safe, now levamasil. It's only been 2 days of levamisil so far. I have used it before and it makes the fish slugish and eat very little.
Of 4 fish one is swollen significantly the other 3 only one has a slight swelling on one side near the vent.
These are the 1st 4 discus I bought almost 4 years ago so I'm trying not to kill them with side effects. Thanks; Don T.