PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank

waj8
08-19-2010, 07:01 AM
How do I cycle a quarantine tank. I have my quarantine tank set up. The easy way for me to cycle it would be to fill it with change water from my show tank and/or to add some filter floss from my show tank filter. There are no signs of disease in my show tank but the Discus in there could be possibly immune. New Discus would be going into the show tank anyway. Is there any point in trying to cycle the quarantine tank from scratch or maybe it doesn't matter? Not sure what the procedure should be.

Jennie
08-19-2010, 07:12 AM
when do the new discus arrive?
do you have an extra cycled sponge on hand?
If you don't you need to do wc every day, maybe 2x day, depending on how many fish you have coming in, tank size and how much you feed them.

ZX10R
08-19-2010, 07:59 AM
I didn't cycle my QT or add a filter I just put a heater and air stone in there. I did 80% to 90% WC everyday until I moved them into my main tank.

Eddie
08-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Using water or media from your existing tank kind of defeats the purpose of the QT altogether. I'd rely on water changes for the new tank, no filtration unless you keep cycled sponges available using an empty tank and ammonia (fishless cycled).

waj8
08-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Yes. That is what I was asking. Thanks.