PDA

View Full Version : Painting bottom of tank

chaoslite
08-19-2010, 02:11 PM
I would like to paint the bottom of my Juvie tank. I have 6 4" discus in the tank at the moment. Here is my dilemma. I only have a 24 gallon tank empty to move them to while I empty the tank and paint it. I do have a 40g trash can that I bought for aging water, that i have not used if that would be better. The reason I want to paint it is because they seem to be reacting to the reflection more lately.
Oh and I was planning on using Flat Krylon spray paint.

Any advice would be appreciated as usual.

Mishka

Skip
08-19-2010, 02:15 PM
there is a whole thread on painting..

here is the link.

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=81688

chaoslite
08-19-2010, 02:28 PM
there is a whole thread on painting..

here is the link.

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=81688

Warlock,
My question is not about the painting as much as it is about where to put my fish. But I will read the thread anyway just in case it says what I can do with the fish.

Mishka

peterhql
08-19-2010, 03:04 PM
they'll be fine in the tank. krylon spray paint dries really fast and since its on the bottom of the tank it doesnt really need to dry full completely before you can set it up again. 6 hours-8 hours in the small tank wont hurt em.

deepflyball
08-19-2010, 04:27 PM
No dont paint the tank with fish in it. LOL The tank painting dosent take long so it would be ok to put them in your 29 for a few hours.

Jerry

peterhql
08-19-2010, 04:53 PM
haha i meant his empty 24 gal tank he mentioned earlier, yes dont paint it with fish in the tank. I dont even know how he'd paint the bottom with fish in it!

Eddie
08-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Just to add, make sure its a light color. ;)

chaoslite
08-19-2010, 08:52 PM
No dont paint the tank with fish in it. LOL The tank painting dosent take long so it would be ok to put them in your 29 for a few hours.

Jerry

Very Funny Jerry :D

Mishka

haha i meant his empty 24 gal tank he mentioned earlier, yes dont paint it with fish in the tank. I dont even know how he'd paint the bottom with fish in it!

This he is actually a she last time I looked :p Just playing with you and thank you for your advice

Just to add, make sure its a light color. ;)

I was thinking a beige. The back is blue.

Mishka

Ed13
08-19-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm never, ever, painting a tank again! It's vynil adhesive for me!!! Light baby blue FTW!!!!:D

tcyiu
08-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Just an idea: for my growout tank, I cut a piece of styrofoam (bought from hardware store) to fit the bottom. When the tank sits on the foam and fills with water, the foam compresses slightly and it is a really nice fit.

This provides a white bottom with insulation. If you don't like white, I suppose you can paint the styrofoam. The white makes cleanup up a cinch. Every speck of dirt shows when looking straight down.

Tim

nc0gnet0
08-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Just an idea: for my growout tank, I cut a piece of styrofoam (bought from hardware store) to fit the bottom. When the tank sits on the foam and fills with water, the foam compresses slightly and it is a really nice fit.

This provides a white bottom with insulation. If you don't like white, I suppose you can paint the styrofoam. The white makes cleanup up a cinch. Every speck of dirt shows when looking straight down.

Depending on the construction of your tank this may not be a good idea. Many tanks are constructed in such a way that the outer rim is where the weight is supposed to be distributed. By placing something thicker than the bottom rim in such a way it places upward pressure on the glass could eventually lead to a leak.

The idea is good, I like to use a piece of thin acrylic and paint it then place it under the tank, you just have to make sure it doesn't result in a re-distrubution of the surface the tank is suppose to sit on.

Eddie
08-22-2010, 05:23 AM
I was thinking a beige. The back is blue.

Mishka

Should look nice!

Willie
08-22-2010, 01:51 PM
All my tanks sit on styrofoam, ranging from 40 breeders to 125's. The sheets are white or pink. I've always mean to paint the bottom, but always got too lazy. Meanwhile, the fish grows and spawns fine.

One thing I learned, don't use spray paint on styrofoam. The propellant in the can dissolves styrofoam! :p

Willie

vera
08-22-2010, 03:13 PM
All my tanks sit on styrofoam, ranging from 40 breeders to 125's.

Willie

Me too , sometimes i use beach mats 7mm tick(sort of foam) to cut for size of the tank bottom - serves 2 purpose : evenly distributes glass pressure + gives ocean green color to bottom

DerekFF
08-22-2010, 03:14 PM
One thing I learned, don't use spray paint on styrofoam. The propellant in the can dissolves styrofoam! :p
Willie
+1 yes it does!!! You'll have less styrofoam than you started with anyways ;-) and it may not be the same shape anymore lol

chaoslite
08-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Painting is done. I will post pictures when the tank is completely put back together. Thank you all for your advice.

Mishka