PDA

View Full Version : WhooHoo, new tank

fishorama
08-20-2010, 01:25 PM
So tomorrow I'm finally getting a new tank, a 120g 5ft x 1.5 x 24 tall. It will replace a 55g BB with 8 ~5+ inch discus. Same place as the old tank

So here's my plan: Tank water into 2 buckets (I may have a fish tub, I'll look) net fish to buckets, cover
Filters (HOBs) to countertop, no cleaning
Move old tank & stand, clean the floor
Hold door for husband & friend
Set up new stand, level if needed, plug in power strips
Add new tank, wipe down with vinegar or maybe bleach, rinse, dechlor, rinse
Fill tank, hope it doesn't leak...
Add heaters, filters
Add fish

So how's this sound, what am I forgetting? I THINK it won't take more than 2 hours but I'll leave the 55g upstairs, not in the middle of everything, in case of some unforeseen delays I could just refill & replace everything fairly fast. I don't have to age my water, just tap & Prime.

I will need to think about a new filter or 2 but they're cycled for the fish load so that shouldn't matter right now. Eventually I'd like a few plants at least on driftwood.

Jennie
08-20-2010, 01:30 PM
congrads Fishorama! Just did this all last weekend myself! It's allot of pita work but worth it in end.

So tomorrow I'm finally getting a new tank, a 120g 5ft x 1.5 x 24 tall. It will replace a 55g BB with 8 ~5+ inch discus. Same place as the old tank

So here's my plan: Tank water into 2 buckets (I may have a fish tub, I'll look) net fish to buckets, cover
Filters (HOBs) to countertop, no cleaning
Move old tank & stand, clean the floor
Hold door for husband & friend
Set up new stand, level if needed, plug in power strips
Add new tank, wipe down with vinegar or maybe bleach, rinse, dechlor, rinse
Fill tank, hope it doesn't leak...
Add heaters, filters
Add fish

So how's this sound, what am I forgetting? I THINK it won't take more than 2 hours but I'll leave the 55g upstairs, not in the middle of everything, in case of some unforeseen delays I could just refill & replace everything fairly fast. I don't have to age my water, just tap & Prime.

I will need to think about a new filter or 2 but they're cycled for the fish load so that shouldn't matter right now. Eventually I'd like a few plants at least on driftwood.

fishorama
08-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks, I'm excited. I think the hard parts were finding a tank close by & getting the truck with a strong helper, my husband just called at noon with the thumbs up. I'm hoping my fish will be ok in buckets for a while...kinda nervous too.

Jennie
08-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I saved 35 % of the water from old tank and transferred it back into new tank with the discus and new water. keep the bucket covered.
Thanks, I'm excited. I think the hard parts were finding a tank close by & getting the truck with a strong helper, my husband just called at noon with the thumbs up. I'm hoping my fish will be ok in buckets for a while...kinda nervous too.

ashaysathe
08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Great stuff. One is the suggestion already made retain some old water from old tank to new tank but if filters are reused the purpose is kind of diminished but it helps to reduce the amount of water u have to heat.
Second thing is, if I clean tank with bleach, I usually let the tank sit for 4-5 hrs without water in it to allow the bleach to evaporate. This may be too much but I do it to be safe.

Sivasama
08-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah old tank water is just old dirty tank water. You have no benefit from it. Just keep water on your filter if it has media in it. Keep your bacteria alive. I should say tank water not just any water. Good luck with the move. Take your time.

.Travis

fishorama
08-20-2010, 05:32 PM
I use bleach on used tanks but usually only vinegar on new, this is a new tank. I figure it may be dusty but no "fish germs" to kill, I hope I'm not being stupid...but with bleach I'd want to wait to make sure the Prime truly worked.

As for heat, I mix hot & cold tap to the tank temp. I also figure it's hot enough, ~82F, in my house so the fish may cool a tiny bit from 86F but not too cold.

Gah, I just had an awful thought, what if the filters don't fit?!?! Could I make a hole in the sponges & stick an airstone in each 1? Kind of a DIY spongefilter to keep at least some bacteria alive... Or dremmel off some of the inner rim, I had to do that once before...

This is why I need a backup plan with the old 55g able to be set up again even if it's in the way for a while. Darn small house.

fishorama
08-21-2010, 03:21 AM
:cry: I woke up in the night with second thoughts about the stand. It's NOT open along the back, there are holes at either end. This will be a PITA for cords but a canister filter will be incredibly hard with hoses. Darn it all to heck!!

I'm glad I realized it BEFORE I bought it but I'm very bummed out :waaa:

Jennie
08-21-2010, 06:19 AM
mine is also enclosed in the back but bought it used and someone already opened up some holes. you could have hubby jigsaw a section out in the back too. i don't use canister filters just sponges.

:cry: I woke up in the night with second thoughts about the stand. It's NOT open along the back, there are holes at either end. This will be a PITA for cords but a canister filter will be incredibly hard with hoses. Darn it all to heck!!

I'm glad I realized it BEFORE I bought it but I'm very bummed out :waaa:

fishorama
08-21-2010, 09:33 AM
I did think of that but since it's only particle board type "wood" I don't think I'd feel safe. Is your's particle board?

BUT my husband just talked to his truck owning/woodworking friend & he said he'd be willing to build a stand!! I'm back to nervous/excited!! It would mean having the empty tank in my living room until he's done & the fish'll have to wait a while longer but OMG!

Jennie
08-21-2010, 10:02 AM
the back is a particle board of some type, thin, not solid wood. It's actually not nescessary to have it there at all but since I don't use canisters I just left it. My stand was custom made also. It ways more than the tank, lol, it was HEAVY.
I did think of that but since it's only particle board type "wood" I don't think I'd feel safe. Is your's particle board?

BUT my husband just talked to his truck owning/woodworking friend & he said he'd be willing to build a stand!! I'm back to nervous/excited!! It would mean having the empty tank in my living room until he's done & the fish'll have to wait a while longer but OMG!

Jennie
08-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I guess if it was me I would pop the back off altogether if I was using canisters.
they are only tacked in with tack nails or staples

fishorama
08-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Well he's coming over to help get the tank, I''ll have him check it out. Good to know, thanks for your encouragement.

I don't know if I'll use canisters or not but I'd like the option/convenience. Once it's in place there won't be room for "do overs".

Jennie
08-21-2010, 10:21 AM
It depends too, on how long it will take to build the stand?? Me, I'm not patient! LOL

Well he's coming over to help get the tank, I''ll have him check it out. Good to know, thanks for your encouragement.

I don't know if I'll use canisters or not but I'd like the option/convenience. Once it's in place there won't be room for "do overs".

fishorama
08-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I was indoctrinated in "gratification postponement" as a child, LOL.

Jennie
08-21-2010, 11:59 AM
LMAO!

I was indoctrinated in "gratification postponement" as a child, LOL.

fishorama
08-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Well I'm now the proud owner of a 120g tank! Hope I can still see the tv around the empty tank, lol. I had my 40g long there for quite a while last year but this tank seems huge!
The stand was MDF not particle board but not good for use by water either. So I'll be having a custom made stand (eventually). But this will give me time to get better equipment & not be rushed, the art of patience.