PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Beach Pebbles

chaoslite
08-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Can anyone tell me if it is all right to use Mexican Beach Pebbles in an aquarium?

Mishka

Keith Perkins
08-21-2010, 03:50 PM
If you disinfect them first either by boiling or putting them in a bleach solution, I don't know why not.

tcyiu
08-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Can anyone tell me if it is all right to use Mexican Beach Pebbles in an aquarium?

Mishka

The only concern I would have is the inadvertent introduction of bits of coralline rock into your tank along with the pebbles. The calcium carbonate content could change your water chemistry.

You can always wet the pebbles with vinegar to see if there is any bubbling. If yes, don't use. If no bubbling/frothing, should be OK after disinfecting and soaking away the salt.

Tim

DerekFF
08-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Are we talking as a whole substrate or just some pebbles?

chaoslite
08-22-2010, 03:57 PM
The only concern I would have is the inadvertent introduction of bits of coralline rock into your tank along with the pebbles. The calcium carbonate content could change your water chemistry.

You can always wet the pebbles with vinegar to see if there is any bubbling. If yes, don't use. If no bubbling/frothing, should be OK after disinfecting and soaking away the salt.

Tim

Thanks for the advice Tim. I will definitely do that test.

Are we talking as a whole substrate or just some pebbles?

I want to try and build a retaining wall in the tank that I will set plants behind. I am looking for some flat stack-able stones that are all right for the tank.

Mishka

DerekFF
08-22-2010, 04:06 PM
OIC, i dont think some rocks for a little wall will throw off your water chem. You can do the test it with vinegar i guess....not sure really what Calcium carb will do to your water. Maybe raise the PH a bit? But with frequent WC's it really wont matter, especially since youre not looking at using a huge amount.