PDA

View Full Version : Fry in new tank?

Sivasama
08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
So I moved a small batch of fry today away from the parents. I got them out with ease and had no issues. I was just wondering if the fry will swim around looking for the parents when you move them. They fry are almost 4 weeks old now. Is this normal for them to swim all over the tank looking for them? If so how long should this continue before they resume paying more attention to food?

Travis

jimg
08-21-2010, 08:34 PM
mine usually get to food after few hours to a day. I take them out after about 2-3 weeks or so. I used to take them out after about 10 days and it was still about the same time frames before they forgot about parents.

Sivasama
08-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I was hoping that was the case. They just keep swimming up and down the side of the tank. They know what direction the parents are in...that's what's strange. I have painted ends on the tanks but the tanks are next to each other. It's like they know the parents are next door. Mom keeps going over to the side as if she knows they are on the other side as well. Might have to move the tank in the future.

Thanks

Travis

Jennie
08-21-2010, 11:58 PM
This is probably really out there but maybe they emit some sort of undetectable low frequency sound, like wales or elephants?? interesting. hmmm I wonder if you moved the parents tank to the other side if the juvies would switch sides??

Sivasama
08-22-2010, 10:17 AM
All back to normal this morning. Fry were in a group arounD the sponge filter and came out to eat. I hope everything keeps going well with them. Do fry breath fast a lot of the time? I know they tend to when feeding but so do adults?

Travis