PDA

View Full Version : What To Expect?

ref0716
08-22-2010, 04:46 PM
I moved some fish around on a temporary basis, and a male Marlboro Red seems to have taken a shine to a female Red Spotted. Both fish are 2 year old Asian imports, and neither fish has bred before. I know very little about varieties in Discus, so I would appreciate it if anyone on this great Forum could enlighten me as to what could be expected from this cross. If it is not advisable, please say so and I will separate this pair. Thanks.
Richard

Owl
08-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi Richard, personally I would leave them together, then if the female lays eggs you have a chance to see if the male is fertile. Obviously a successful spawning isn't a 100% certainty as other factors come into the equation, but all being well you could have a nice spawn.

ref0716
08-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks, Owl from England. So you do not have any reservations as to how the fry may look? I have only bred same variety to same variety. What would be a descriptive name for this offspring, if the spawn is successful?
Thanks again.
Richard from New York, USA

DerekFF
08-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Hard to say, im not expert i just know that the PB genes from the marlboro will dominate. Not sure how much pepper the fry would have, kinda depends on how much pepper the parent has too.

ref0716
08-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Parent had heavy pepper as a juvie, but little as an adult. Best regards.
Richard

DerekFF
08-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Lets see some pics!!!

Owl
08-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks, Owl from England. So you do not have any reservations as to how the fry may look? I have only bred same variety to same variety. What would be a descriptive name for this offspring, if the spawn is successful?
Thanks again.
Richard from New York, USA

Hi Richard, you never know your luck when cross breeding discus, you might even end up with a mutation that would be the envy of all.
As for a descriptive name .... you could name them whatever takes your fancy.

regards from Merrie Olde England !
Brian

Eddie
08-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Its hard to say what you'll get without knowing the parents bloodlines. IMO, I would keep them apart and breed the Marlboro (pigeon type) with another pigeon type. The spotted with another spotted, snake or golden.

Eddie

roclement
08-23-2010, 08:51 AM
I would let them breed just to find out if they are both viable and who is a male and female but the babies most likely will be very peppered, than again there is nothing more fun than to see your fish breed in your home tank so the fun part can be very much worth it!!!

Rodrigo

mmorris
08-23-2010, 11:03 AM
I think it's a good idea to find out who's male and who's female and if they are fertile, but I expect the fry will be heavily peppered. I, personally, wouldn't sell fish that were heavily peppered and so I have stayed away from breeding pb-based fish (although if the pair I got from Ashay spawn, I will be keen to see what develops). It seems a shame to have to cull for size, deformities AND pepper. When you pair a pb with a non-pb, you are likely going to get even more pepper. Can you stand to raise up a batch for a few weeks and then cull most of the fry if need be? If so, you might be pleasantly surprised.