PDA

View Full Version : White fuzzy (spiderwebby) stuf on my discus

discusgirl
08-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Does anyone have an idea what white fuzzy or spiderwebby stuff hanging off my fish would be? I have been researching and can only find "velvet"? Has anyone ever heard such velvet on fish? What is it, how dangerous is it? Most importantly, how do I get rid of it?
A friend is watching my fish while I am at training, I've had her raise the tank to 90, she's done 10% water changes every day for the last 3 days. Fish also looks constipated, as there has not been much poo, he's not eating much. I have a fuzzy picture she sent me, and have asked her for a clearer one.

Thanks in advance!

Eddie
08-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Looks like the fish is losing slime but hard to tell from the pictures. High temps will make it worse. I'd look into something that can treat fungus, maybe meth blue.

Eddie

boxters
08-23-2010, 06:42 AM
IMO this is bacterial. I would treat with pp. Add salt to the tank at a rate of 1 tbs per 20 litres.

discusgirl
08-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Boxter,

What do you mean by pp?

She is going to add some salt today and lower the temp, I was thinking an abrasion was on the fish. So, the slime issue might be the one.

Thanks for the info!:)

Eddie
08-23-2010, 07:43 AM
PP is Potassium Permanganate

discusgirl
08-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks,

She killed them both. I'd had them since eggs aver 6 years ago. She didn't know how to read the temp guage and boiled them. I am absolutely sick about it. I took such care in transporting them from Philly to near Jacksonville, FL, 3 years ago. :angel:

Jennie
08-23-2010, 06:25 PM
OMG. I was worried she wouldn't dose them right. So sorry.:(

discusgirl
08-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks DiscusLover65,

They were the funniest pair, very attentive. We'd play through the glass, it amazed people who'd visit.

Here's a picture of my girl that was boiled along with Jack, the sick fish.

Jennie
08-23-2010, 09:16 PM
It's really hard to rely on people who don't know how to care for discus.
Your fish was beautiful.:(

shawnhu
08-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi Discusgirl, sorry for your loss. I too lost a favorite Discus of mine due to the same disease you have there, velvet of some sort. I treated with PP and salt dips.

boxters
08-26-2010, 06:21 AM
I disagree that it is velvet disease. If these are Asian discus it was more likely bacteria causing your fish to produce excess slime. The best known treatment is gentamycin sulphate powder

Owl
08-26-2010, 07:02 AM
I am in agreement with Boxters regarding the fish not having velvet. The fish was producing excess slime which sloughs off giving the appearance of spider web substance. When a discus starts shedding excess slime it is a sure sign that it is sick.

Eddie
08-26-2010, 07:52 AM
If these are Asian discus it was more likely bacteria causing your fish to produce excess slime.

What do you mean by this statement exactly?