PDA

View Full Version : Fish not eating and acting weird

ctzeh
08-23-2010, 06:44 AM
Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

I have this one discus in my comms tank that stopped eating one week ago (except for a few frozen brine shrimps). Initially, it had clamped fins and was scratching against the sponge etc. often. Suspecting that it was flukes, i added some anti-slime, velvet and white spots meds which indicated that it treats flukes as well. A couple of days ago, i saw the fish passing out yellow feces. Now, after 4 days on the med, its fins are no longer clamped but it is still not eating and tends to face at an angle to the water surface at times. Also, it seems like he has no energy at all.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, )

Not eating and floats around at an angle of 45 degrees to the water surface.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Blue coloured med for anti-slime, velvet and white-spots.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

40 gallon BB tank, with 7 other discus. Tank is 6 months old. Last discus was added 2 weeks ago with quarantine for 2 weeks.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

100 % WC twice a week.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _86____

- ph __7.0___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _15___

- municipal water __yes__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

One discus added two weeks ago with two weeks of prior quarantined.

boxters
08-23-2010, 06:52 AM
Poo turning yellow is not a good sign.it is caused by intestinal bacteria or parasites which infect the intestines. The best treatment in this case would be metro. Can I suggest slowing down on the water changes for a while. Check ammonia and nitrite and if zero do not do a water change. I would also cover the tank with a sheet and only leave one side open.this will make the fish relax. Also add an airstone.

ctzeh
08-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Poo turning yellow is not a good sign.it is caused by intestinal bacteria or parasites which infect the intestines. The best treatment in this case would be metro. Can I suggest slowing down on the water changes for a while. Check ammonia and nitrite and if zero do not do a water change. I would also cover the tank with a sheet and only leave one side open.this will make the fish relax. Also add an airstone.

Hi Boxters, thanks for the quick reply. I have only seen the fish pass out yellow feces once. Since that time till now, about two days later, i have not seen anymore yellow or white feces in the tank. Just now, i saw it pecking at some food, not sure if it was really gill flukes in the first place since it has also stopped rubbing against objects. Now the only problem is that it is not eating much.

Eddie
08-23-2010, 07:59 AM
At this point I wouldn't treat, just keep things nice and cozy (clean water, slightly warmer temps 86F) and let the fish get his diet back. His immunities will get stronger as he starts to feed.

All the best,

Eddie

ctzeh
08-23-2010, 08:53 AM
At this point I wouldn't treat, just keep things nice and cozy (clean water, slightly warmer temps 86F) and let the fish get his diet back. His immunities will get stronger as he starts to feed.

All the best,

Eddie

Thanks Eddie, this fish is still moving around well. Would you recommend adding more salt into the aquarium? I am currently adding 4 tablespoons into my 40 gallon tank after 100% WC.

Eddie
08-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks Eddie, this fish is still moving around well. Would you recommend adding more salt into the aquarium? I am currently adding 4 tablespoons into my 40 gallon tank after 100% WC.

It's entirely up to you on the salt. If the fish has some fin/body damage, salt may help. My suggestion is if he is doing better, keep doing what you are doing? ;)

ctzeh
08-23-2010, 09:52 AM
It's entirely up to you on the salt. If the fish has some fin/body damage, salt may help. My suggestion is if he is doing better, keep doing what you are doing? ;)

Ok thanks. But just in case, i would like to know how does the condition of a fish with flukes develop if left untreated. Just asking so that i can look out for some symptoms in my fish.

Eddie
08-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Ok thanks. But just in case, i would like to know how does the condition of a fish with flukes develop if left untreated. Just asking so that i can look out for some symptoms in my fish.

Generally speaking, flukes are not a killer. They can reach high enough numbers to break a fish down or weaken it enough to allow the fish to succumb to other illnesses. Older fish can live perfectly fine with flukes, if all other conditions (water quality/food) are favorable to the fish.

Something to realize though, is that there SO many bugs in an aquarium and many of the symptoms are exactly the same that you can't tell exactly what is affecting a fish without a microscope. Even then, there may be multiple things bothering a fish. A good first action is to rule out water. Make sure your water is PRESTINE, no traceable ammonia/nitrites. Also, gases (tiny air bubbles) in some source water can make fish display fluke like symptoms.

Eddie

ctzeh
08-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Generally speaking, flukes are not a killer. They can reach high enough numbers to break a fish down or weaken it enough to allow the fish to succumb to other illnesses. Older fish can live perfectly fine with flukes, if all other conditions (water quality/food) are favorable to the fish.

Something to realize though, is that there SO many bugs in an aquarium and many of the symptoms are exactly the same that you can't tell exactly what is affecting a fish without a microscope. Even then, there may be multiple things bothering a fish. A good first action is to rule out water. Make sure your water is PRESTINE, no traceable ammonia/nitrites. Also, gases (tiny air bubbles) in some source water can make fish display fluke like symptoms.

Eddie

Hi Eddie thanks for your kind advices. Now i am thinking that this fish could be stressed due to it being at the bottom of the pecking order. It is the second smallest fish in the tank but i observed that a couple of other fishes are picking on it. Today, i came back from work and saw that its dorsal fins were torn, probably due to other fishes attacking it. Will the bullying come to a stop soon or do i have to separate the fishes. Only problem is i do not have a spare tank. Btw, the smallest fish is 2.5 inch and the biggest one is 4 inches.

Eddie
08-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Hi Eddie thanks for your kind advices. Now i am thinking that this fish could be stressed due to it being at the bottom of the pecking order. It is the second smallest fish in the tank but i observed that a couple of other fishes are picking on it. Today, i came back from work and saw that its dorsal fins were torn, probably due to other fishes attacking it. Will the bullying come to a stop soon or do i have to separate the fishes. Only problem is i do not have a spare tank. Btw, the smallest fish is 2.5 inch and the biggest one is 4 inches.

Definitely could be the problem. The problem with removing the lowest in the pecking order is that it will get replaced by the next weak fish in the pecking order. If there is alot of bullying between fish of different sizes and ages, I'd look into keeping the sizes same. Somtimes different sizes can be kept together but it doesn't seem to be working out in your case.

Eddie