PDA

View Full Version : moved pair to community tank

utiliy
08-23-2010, 07:02 AM
after the last 3-4 spawns have turned into -0- fry, i put the pair into a community tank....just how long u leave them in there before u put them back into there breeding tank?
the last batches turned into free swimmers and then attached-but could never really tell which one was the fry eater...

Eddie
08-23-2010, 07:53 AM
My females have always been the egg/fry eaters. The only time my males eat eggs though, is when I remove the female too early...go figure. So sensitive them males. :D Guess they don't want to be single dads.

mmorris
08-23-2010, 10:56 AM
after the last 3-4 spawns have turned into -0- fry, i put the pair into a community tank....just how long u leave them in there before u put them back into there breeding tank?
the last batches turned into free swimmers and then attached-but could never really tell which one was the fry eater...

Are you hoping that by putting them into the community tank for a while they will stop being fry-eaters? Normally the female is the fry or egg -eater. If you wanted to raise fry, then I would have suggested you remove the female. The male is usually perfectly happy to raise the fry on his own.

utiliy
08-25-2010, 09:30 AM
well-i was hoping when adding them to the community tank-it would help them with the wigglers-like they used to be.
the pair laid eggs the other day in the community tank and are chasing everything away-ill see what happens to them and maybe in a month ill put the pair in there breeding tank.
just when is the right time to remove the female?

mmorris
08-25-2010, 09:46 AM
At any point between when she has laid the eggs and when she (or he!) tends to eat them.

utiliy
08-26-2010, 08:25 AM
well-got a few wigglers in the community tank..about 5-6 the way it looks. alot of dead egg-but there still there. the bristlenose didnt even have a feast yet.
ill leave them in there another week or so, and turn them back to there breeder tank.

Discus-n00b
08-26-2010, 07:48 PM
My females have always been the egg/fry eaters. The only time my males eat eggs though, is when I remove the female too early...go figure. So sensitive them males. :D Guess they don't want to be single dads.

Send me your males ;) All of mine tend to be egg eaters it seems.

Eddie
08-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Send me your males ;) All of mine tend to be egg eaters it seems.

LOL, the boys eat the eggs but the males don't.

utiliy
08-31-2010, 10:08 AM
the red pair laid again in the community tank...bigger spawn.
is it possible to move the cone to an empty breeder tank with the male-providing the water perimeters are the same?

Keith Perkins
08-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Yes. The male may get spooked by the move and eat the eggs, but you can try. I'd use an ice cream pail or something you can submerse in the tank and put the cone in it, keeping the eggs wet or preferably under water the whole time. Move the pail to the new tank and set the cone back up and transfer the male fish. I'm not sure which one you should move first, perhaps others will have an opinion. Caging the eggs might increase the chances of success, if you're interested in going that route.

utiliy
09-03-2010, 07:41 AM
i let them ride it out in the community tank-eggs were laid right under a power filter current-so only got about 6 wigglers.
plan on moving them back to there breeder tank in a few days.
this is a bigger spawn than usual-and the mom has been working hard keeping the rest of the discus away from the eggs. dad usually stays near and fans the wigglers....
maybe i can get them to lay another good batch in the breeder tank.

Keith Perkins
09-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Good luck with them.

utiliy
09-06-2010, 08:12 AM
going to move the pair back to there breeding tank today. hopefully they will tend to getting it right once again.

utiliy
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
heres an update...moved them to there breeder tank monday-laid eggs on the glass sometime tues.
wonder why they didnt use the cone?
i never even had time to add ro water.

Keith Perkins
09-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Maybe they were still a little out of sorts over being moved that they decided to spawn on the glass. Obviously they were hornier than they were out of sorts though. Any idea what your TDS level is in that tank, since you said you didn't get RO in it?

utiliy
09-10-2010, 06:04 AM
tds-144. they ate them anyway...i guess they. eggs was there one day, went to work, fiance came home and they were gone.
the other pair lay and raise fry in the 144tds pure tap.
the red pair are used to better water conditions.
i have stated in another thread that the red pair have not raised any since we moved to this house.
im going to start ro w/c today-and hopefully keep it up where they will raise another batch soon.
should of added-when the pair was in the comminuity tank-i painted the back and sides blue.
on a good note the other pair have free swimmers today.
ph out of tap is 7...

utiliy
09-16-2010, 12:17 AM
well-the reds laid again on the glass and not the cone. deciding just when to remove the female....water is in great condition.tds-70 ph around 6.5.
curious is why they laid on the glass once again...

utiliy
09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
after the fry were hatched they moved them to the cone-then it was snack time.
so today they start pecking at the glass where they laid last time-i moved the cone there, and they head to the other end to peck at the glass.
couldnt move the female to another tank becouse water genetics wasnt the same...ph and tds.
ill try harder next time with gradual w/c to move her soon as i can.