PDA

View Full Version : SLIME OR WHITE ALGAE FROM WOOD HELP!!!

flyer1988
08-24-2010, 10:46 PM
I have just setup my planted aquarium and am using this wood called mopani or something like that which I bought at petco. I left it outside soaking for 2 days inorder to let some of that leaching go out of the wood in addition I boiled both pieces of wood for about an hour or a little bit over. Now 3 days later it seems to be growing some sort of slime coating around it or algae which i dout its algae since it looks more like a ugly slime. Im really worried about this the tank is cycling at the moment and have no fishes or algae eaters around simply just wood and plants and substrate. please help guys i have provided pictures so that you may witness this ugly stuff going on what should i do, should I remove the wood or scrub this stuff out. Im currently providing 8hrs of light and have done nothing else but to just filter the water. HELP PLEASE.... thank you.

by the way the wood piece towards the right seems to be the most heavily infested.

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq250/flyer1988/DSC01955.jpg
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq250/flyer1988/DSC01951.jpg

guys if the image wont post please let me know, since im new to posting pictures. please let me know how you all post pictures or how i could do that cause apparently i cant fit a 85.0kb file in the attachment. thank you all.

Sharkbait
08-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Don't worry man...

Most wood will have that white 'algae' when it's first place into a tank. It goes away over time. Just water changes will get rid of it.

Cheers

DerekFF
08-25-2010, 02:22 AM
Its normal, almost everyone who uses wood asks this question i think lol. A bushynose pleco will eat that for dessert and then some. No biggie

Jennie
08-25-2010, 05:54 AM
my 4 little botia loaches clean it up like mad and they don't attach to discus

stavro
08-25-2010, 06:46 AM
I cleaned up the white algea with 5 prawns amano!!!
THE BEST for this job!!!

flyer1988
08-25-2010, 05:24 PM
so basicly some algae eaters will fix the problem rite? and water changes will also help. is so I will buy some algae eaters tomorrow besides I was planning on getting about 3 or so for the tank and since tomorrow I dont have to go to college I will dedicate that time to doing a huge water change maybe 50% or 75%.

Jennie
08-25-2010, 05:34 PM
botias are not algae eaters really.Just garbage cans IMO. You have to be careful with those Algae eaters, as they can attach to your discus. and obviously the prawns aren't algae eaters either.
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/loaches/Loach.htm

so basicly some algae eaters will fix the problem rite? and water changes will also help. is so I will buy some algae eaters tomorrow besides I was planning on getting about 3 or so for the tank and since tomorrow I dont have to go to college I will dedicate that time to doing a huge water change maybe 50% or 75%.

fishorama
08-25-2010, 08:25 PM
I took my wood out & rinsed the slime off 1 time, it never came back.

flyer1988
08-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi guys just wanted to let you all know that I was able to rinse it off and place it back inside the tank seems to be doin good so far I also did a 40% water change. In addition I would like to ask if someone knows if im growing my moss rite can it be placed on the wood just like the way I have it? will it work its way to cover all the wood or do I have to keep on helping it out by placing fishing line around it?

zamboniMan
08-27-2010, 01:28 AM
The moss should eventually cover it. Although it may come detached very easily so its best to just go through every few weeks and tie it down.

Good luck!
Josh