PDA

View Full Version : Any Unix /diehard Linux users here ?

brewmaster15
08-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi all,
Not sure if we have any here , but are there any Unix users here or maybe some diehard linux users... I've a small question....I'm trying to figure out how to type a "|" aka as a PIPE mark for use in shell pipelines... It's a vertical hash mark used in unix and Linux commands... Its driving me crazy trying to figure out how to type the dang thing....i've been copying and pasting it....but theres got to be another way....I can't believe its not easily found on the web , but I looked. Thought I'd ask first here before prostrating myself on a unix/linux forum:D

So if any one knows how to type it, help a guy out here.:) Thanks

example of its use.. "dmes|grep-i hz"

Thanks again.

-al

pinkandrews
08-25-2010, 08:56 AM
What keyboard are you using?

I am on a mac and the pipe is right above the return with the slash \ |

ahh grep, music to my ear :)

brewmaster15
08-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Ibm Think pads... and you just helped me big time... Its not a "|" on the key..but on mine its looks like a weird Colon.... just tried and sure enough it makes the right mark... |
same as spot as yours (right above the return with the slash \ |)

Thanks so much!!!!

-al

DiscusOnly
08-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Al

The double vertical line in the standard qwerty keyboard is the "pipe" that is used in unix and C

For future reference, here is a link to computer keys and terms.

http://www.computerhope.com/keys.htm

brewmaster15
08-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Al

The double vertical line in the standard qwerty keyboard is the "pipe" that is used in unix and C

For future reference, here is a link to computer keys and terms.

http://www.computerhope.com/keys.htm

Thanks Van for the info and Link..:) Guess I have the standard querty keyboard!:)

-al

ps... I wish I had found this link...

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/p/pipe.htm

When I was searching earlier this am! Thanks again Van,

2wheelsx2
08-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Haha...that's funny. I had that problem for the longest time when I started using PC's from Unix 20 years ago, but now I do it so often (but using Unix less and less now) that I couldn't even figure out why you couldn't find it. :D

CanadaPleco
08-26-2010, 12:03 AM
It's right on a Mac keyboard because it's based on Linux now :). Sure makes commands easier.

Wish I could help you tho but I have not used a non Mac keyboard in about 8-10 years now.

brewmaster15
08-26-2010, 10:47 AM
I used to use Macs in my lab for image analysis.. For doing Hi-res Graphics...theres nothing better IMO....

I used to think that Macs were Better than PCs like most Mac Users....but then I started playing with Linux operating systems and I've come to the opinion that it wasn't the PC that was the problem ...It was the operating system... take Microsoft off a Pc...run Linux on the PC... and the results are amazing. I still think Macs Rock for graphics.... but linux on a PC ,for me levels the playing field for macs and Pcs....Just my opinion.

-al

DiscusOnly
08-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Mac are great..but I still hate it because it was one if not the most expensive personal computer I spent on and got less than a few months of use.

I went from using PS2 in high school until I went to college where they forces everyone to buy a computer but a freaking Mac. As a CS student, we did all of our programming in Unix so the Mac became paper weight. I still have my Mac SE/30 sitting in the office. I swear that I will convert it to a fish tank with the available kits one day.

brewmaster15
08-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Mac are great..but I still hate it because it was one if not the most expensive personal computer I spent on and got less than a few months of use.

I went from using PS2 in high school until I went to college where they forces everyone to buy a computer but a freaking Mac. As a CS student, we did all of our programming in Unix so the Mac became paper weight. I still have my Mac SE/30 sitting in the office. I swear that I will convert it to a fish tank with the available kits one day.
Lol Van...I've seen those before.:).... Hey the three R's at their best!
-al