PDA

View Full Version : Holes in the the vins

leonardbez
08-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi my discus got small holes in there top vins and some of them got small tears in their top vin why?

jpancal
08-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Do you mean on there fins? They could have fin rot which is caused my bacteria. You could treat with an anitbotic. I have used Marcyn Two in the past with good results.
If you do not want to add medications to the tank you could also try frequent water changes and salt. I have also had success with this.

Eddie
08-26-2010, 02:22 AM
I would actually hold out on treating with antibiotics right off the bat. We need more information. Please use this questionnaire so we can all get a better idea of what is going on. Also, pictures are worth a thousand words.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=38545

leonardbez
08-26-2010, 09:43 AM
The holes are small round ones and just on the fins . From time to time i can see that there are tears in the fins allso. I treated the fish with metro and set temp to 34 ,did every 2nd day water change.Its 2 weeks now and no chang.The holes are still there not bigger or smaller.
Its not all the fish just 3 to 4 of 15 fish got the holes

Eddie
08-26-2010, 09:08 PM
The holes are small round ones and just on the fins . From time to time i can see that there are tears in the fins allso. I treated the fish with metro and set temp to 34 ,did every 2nd day water change.Its 2 weeks now and no chang.The holes are still there not bigger or smaller.
Its not all the fish just 3 to 4 of 15 fish got the holes

Metro will not do anything for fin damage or deterioration. Bringing up the temp would also not be a good move if the fish has a bacteria infection.