PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone experienced reading water reports...

Jennie
08-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Can anyone experienced reading water reports, understand this one and tell me if there is something that may cause problems with young discus?
the report is halfway down the page.
http://www.fcgov.com/water/pdf/dwqr.pdf?20090630

Keith Perkins
08-26-2010, 12:14 AM
I have a little experience looking over a guys shoulder at work and checking my own cities reports when getting back into discus and when the spawning began. Someone better I'm sure will come along, but to me the figures look very standard for a municipal water system, including not being very comprehensive. Not surprisingly I guess, I don't see anything in the report that would explain your recent losses, sorry.

Jennie
08-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Thanks Kevin. That's all I could find online. I have suffered only one casualty this time, so I feel I'm getting over a hurdle. Hope there aren't anymore.:)

Keith Perkins
08-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Kevin? Well I guess I've been called worse. ;)

Jennie
08-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Oops! I was up at three, I wasn't wearing glasses , I didn't have my pot of coffee yet! Lol, sorry Keith!
Kevin? Well I guess I've been called worse. ;)

sion
08-26-2010, 04:30 PM
your chart looks good ,ammonia towers, and uv light take of most or any impurities..flouride is retalitivly harmless .just keep running your ro and trust what cant really hurt you is ok for your fry ..best of luck si

Jennie
08-26-2010, 04:56 PM
I don't run ro. These are 8 week babies and my second batch. My first batch lasted less than a day. This batch THANKFULLY is doing good. Al solved my PH problem for me by noting that My aged water has buffers in it(low PH swings)
There is snow here almost all year at higher elevations, so we have allot of runoff from that, however this water is full of bacteria. They warn people not to drink it. Whatever I'm doing right this time is working. I've never had little ones like this and my usual methods never bothered the older ones, so i was def. at a loss.

Keith Perkins
08-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Hopefully what Al corrected was the source of your prior problem, as I'm sure no one wants to see you go through that again. I can somehow picture the person on the other end of the phone with you when you discovered it, and it's not a pretty sight. Hoping to hear nothing but good things out of Colorado on your new juvies from here on out.

Jennie
08-26-2010, 06:13 PM
They are doing good. I was afraid to wake up this morning.

Keith Perkins
08-26-2010, 06:15 PM
LOL. Please tell me you didn't have another nightmare.

Jennie
08-26-2010, 06:17 PM
LOL no, but I was up at 3. worry worry.
LOL. Please tell me you didn't have another nightmare.

Keith Perkins
08-26-2010, 06:32 PM
I much prefer discus keepers that worry about their discus than those who don't. :) Hope you sleep better tonight.

Jennie
08-26-2010, 06:34 PM
What is that discus in your avatar? Or is there a black light on it?

Keith Perkins
08-26-2010, 06:44 PM
You obviously don't know my total lack of photographic skills, there's definitely no special lighting or black lights involved there. Just probably several photographic errors that resulted in a cool picture of my favorite discus, a blue diamond. He's an awesome daddy, IMHO. :D

Jennie
08-26-2010, 06:52 PM
:D I thought it was a BD with a blacklight overhead. Well whatever u did, it looks cool.

Jhhnn
08-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Ft Collins compares theirs to bottled water here, with a more complete analysis-

http://www.fcgov.com/water/pdf/dw-bottled.pdf

Looks like good water to me. Whatever went wrong with the first batch of youngsters likely didn't have anything to do with Ft Collins water quality.

Nice to see that your new batch is doing well...

Jennie
08-26-2010, 08:24 PM
My low ph may be culpret. I did the drop and plop method, if that's what you call it the first time. This time I did drip method and success!