PDA

View Full Version : How to put a price tag on discus

cosmodude12
08-25-2010, 11:44 PM
How do you put a tag price on discus when you sell them?

William Palumbo
08-26-2010, 12:11 AM
A rule of thumb, up to a certain degree, is around $10 an inch, up to a certain size. Large adults or breeders are more. It depends on the strain, how rare it may be, or how much in demand it's in. It's up to the breeder/broker to figure out what is a fair/profitable price...Bill

Keith Perkins
08-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Or you can just figure out how much money you have invested in them, take all the hours you've put into them and multiply that by the minimum wage, total everything up, divide by the number of fish you have,and then divide by 5, and you should be right there. :D Before the economy tanked, $10 an inch was a pretty standard rule of thumb for juvies.

William Palumbo
08-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Or you can just figure out how much money you have invested in them, take all the hours you've put into them and multiply that by the minimum wage, total everything up, divide by the number of fish you have,and then divide by 5, and you should be right there. :D Before the economy tanked, $10 an inch was a pretty standard rule of thumb for juvies.

LOL...That's about right Keith. I usually lose money when I sell a Discus that I put all that time, food, electric, and waterchanges in. And they still want it for less!...Bill

mmorris
08-26-2010, 08:51 AM
There are a lot of other factors that may go into it. If the breeder isn't shipping, he has a more limited market and may sell them for less than 'the rule'. If he wants to sell them quickly, he may sell for less. If the fish are lfs quality or heavily peppered, he may sell for less. Raising a batch of fry is expensive, and so is shipping from the shipper's side: cardboard box, styro, heat packs, liner, bags, bag buddies, oxygen, paypal's cut :(, gasoline... "And they still want it for less!..."

Jennie
08-26-2010, 08:54 AM
WAIT! I never question price ever if it's good stock. But that's just me.
P.S. Martha, Don't forget the replacement cost of being too nice, lol.

mmorris
08-26-2010, 09:00 AM
P.S. Martha, Don't forget the replacement cost of being too nice, lol.

Keith Perkins
08-26-2010, 02:27 PM
There are a lot of other factors that may go into it. If the breeder isn't shipping, he has a more limited market and may sell them for less than 'the rule'. If he wants to sell them quickly, he may sell for less. If the fish are lfs quality or heavily peppered, he may sell for less. Raising a batch of fry is expensive, and so is shipping from the shipper's side: cardboard box, styro, heat packs, liner, bags, bag buddies, oxygen, paypal's cut :(, gasoline... "And they still want it for less!..."

Nice list Martha.

MGKelly
12-25-2012, 08:42 PM
So what price can you expect to get from a LFS for 1-1.5 inch fry. I understand there's a great deal that comes into play with the biggest being your reputation and the health of the fry.
Once the LFS knows the fish are healthy, what is an fair price?

Eddie
12-25-2012, 10:08 PM
So what price can you expect to get from a LFS for 1-1.5 inch fry. I understand there's a great deal that comes into play with the biggest being your reputation and the health of the fry.
Once the LFS knows the fish are healthy, what is an fair price?

Fry from a LFS, I'd pay $5-10 bucks TOPS. You are pretty much bringing the world of disease with the fry. I'd avoid buying from the LFS at all costs. Thats my thoughts. Too many bad experiences with LFS fish.

chipmunk636
12-25-2012, 10:35 PM
I agree ! They are usually selling them 30-60$ at mine !

Buying discus in lfs is like buying a sandwish at the gas station , they carry them , but its not their strenth .

MGKelly
12-25-2012, 10:42 PM
my question was directed at selling to a LFS not buying from! sorry if that wasn't clear.

Eddie
12-25-2012, 10:42 PM
I agree ! They are usually selling them 30-60$ at mine !

Buying discus in lfs is like buying a sandwish at the gas station , they carry them , but its not their strenth .

$30-$60! Thats INSANE! You can get outstanding quality juveniles from any sponsor for that price. Throwing money in the trash with the LFS.

chipmunk636
12-25-2012, 10:48 PM
$30-$60! Thats INSANE! You can get outstanding quality juveniles from any sponsor for that price. Throwing money in the trash with the LFS.

Its usually 69.99$ ! I don't ever brought discus in fls , only an independant seller at her home who import them , my next will probably be from SD here , if he don't get good quality.

Trier20
12-25-2012, 11:02 PM
At mine they go for about 70-80 for a 3 in. Anything under 2in is 35 each

Keith Perkins
12-25-2012, 11:55 PM
my question was directed at selling to a LFS not buying from! sorry if that wasn't clear.

I thought your question was pretty clear actually, too much speed reading going on. In this area LFS won't buy anything smaller than 2 inches and their rates are about $5 an inch, or $10 for a 2 inch fish.

MGKelly
12-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Thank you CozyKeith!

I thought your question was pretty clear actually, too much speed reading going on. In this area LFS won't buy anything smaller than 2 inches and their rates are about $5 an inch, or $10 for a 2 inch fish.

Skip
12-26-2012, 12:11 AM
at most.. half of what they would sell if for.. and probably only give you store credit.. and not cash..

Eddie
12-26-2012, 12:20 AM

Oops, my bad...totally missed that. I gotta tone down the speed reading. LOL

MGKelly
12-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Thanks,

at most.. half of what they would sell if for.. and probably only give you store credit.. and not cash..

Trier20
12-26-2012, 01:03 AM

When I talked to my LFS about selling fry to them they said they would pay me in cash only. Didn't want to give me store credit for some reason, seemed weird to me but I wasn't complaining lol

darcy
12-26-2012, 07:57 AM
When I was breeding I never sold to my LFS here. They didn't have enough understanding of discus to keep them healthy or they just didn't care. To be honest,because they thought they were a store they knew more then everyone else. Everytime they had Discus they were in HORRIBLE shape and I didn't want all my hard work or my babies to suffer!! I sold mine in larger City's and too other Hobbyist's.
Usually store credit or even trades. To this day I won't even darken the LFS door here,I ship all my stuff in now,they don't get a single penny of my cash!!

John_Nicholson
12-26-2012, 08:48 AM
My personal view is any breeder that is selling fry for less than $10 per inch is doing a disservice to the rest of us. At that price we really are not making any money. It has been the "standard" around here for a long. long time. If anything it needs to increase.

-john

nc0gnet0
12-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Typical markup of an LFS is 3x what they pay for the fish. See what they have in stock and what they are selling for (keeping size into consideration) and use that as your guidline. I have gotten more than 10 per inch and less than that. It all depends on how many you want to unload and how fast. If you have 3" fish and you want $30.00, then the LFS probably will only take a couple, and that doesn't do you much good if you have 100+.

Rick

nc0gnet0
12-26-2012, 09:08 AM
My personal view is any breeder that is selling fry for less than $10 per inch is doing a disservice to the rest of us. At that price we really are not making any money. It has been the "standard" around here for a long. long time. If anything it needs to increase.

-john

95% (if not more) of the discus sold at the LFS under 3" will be dead in a few months anyways, regardless of what they paid or were sold for.

nc0gnet0
12-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Your better off selling on craiglist unless you only have a few to sell. Offer a discount when they buy 5 or more, this will encourage them to get them in a group which will aid them in being succesfull. You will also build up some repeat business and help expand the hobby in the process.

Rick

DonMD
12-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Fry from a LFS, I'd pay $5-10 bucks TOPS. You are pretty much bringing the world of disease with the fry. I'd avoid buying from the LFS at all costs. Thats my thoughts. Too many bad experiences with LFS fish.

+++++1, from personal experience!

DonMD
12-26-2012, 09:33 AM
+++++1, from personal experience!

Yep, I'm guilty of "speed reading" too, sorry!

Eddie
12-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Yep, I'm guilty of "speed reading" too, sorry!

LMAO...I think its my old age.

Tazalanche
12-26-2012, 05:47 PM
...and here I was waiting for someone to suggest putting the price on the tank instead of putting a tag on the fish. :noway: :jester:

a volar
12-26-2012, 06:29 PM
...and here I was waiting for someone to suggest putting the price on the tank instead of putting a tag on the fish. :noway: :jester:

I though about it, but I restrain myself :)

Rod
12-26-2012, 07:19 PM
I though about it, but I restrain myself :)

So body piercing tips for fish probably not good either??

Skip
12-26-2012, 08:04 PM

staples?

Tazalanche
12-27-2012, 10:45 AM
staples?There it is!
LOL!

Just make sure they are stainless steel so they don't rust. ;)