PDA

View Full Version : Moving tank with CO2 system

mkv
08-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I have little experience with planted tanks and CO2 systems and I recently were asked to help move a planted fish tank with this kind of system. The CO2 tank is a pressurized system with the sight glass and valves. I'm planing to keep most of the water for the move and because is goint to be set up at a school in an open area we will not be using the CO2 tank. My questions are:

Does the change needs to be gradual or can I just stop using the CO2

What do I need to look for for the upcoming weeks after the system is no longer using the CO2 tank.

Any special steps to consider for the move.

Thank for your time and help.

Marco

AirCapital
08-27-2010, 11:53 AM
i would gardually lessen the cos pressure each day for a few days if they are pumping enough co2 to lower the ph more than a half a point or more.

after you get it moved and set back up without the co2 you may have to address the lighting, the light may have been great with co2 but now that the plants wont be growing as fast you may need less light, if the light is to strong you may end up with an algea issue. and it can happen fast if the light are around 4+ watts a gallon. you may not have to take that much of the old water with being that it is a planted tank and the probaly havent messed with the substrate do much there will be plenty of good bacteria to start 2 tanks back up from scratch incuding the plants that will have good bio on them as well. try and leave the substrate un didurbed as much as possible, and drain the tank with the plants in it and see if it is to heavy to safely move, if its to heavy and you think its to much stress then you willl of cource want to start removing substrate.
if this si not a heavly planted show tank and the plants are non thriving I would go ahead nd break it down to just a tank and move it

mkv
08-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks, I wanted to make sure the fish didn't get poisoned by the CO2 going out of range or stress by a PH change. The substrate is not too deep and the tank is only a 55 gal so we should be able to handle it..... They are using standard strips so we shoud be fine....
Thanks again.

ExReefer
08-27-2010, 12:53 PM
My CO2 injection turns on and off everyday. No problems with the fish or plants. I only run it when the lights are on.