PDA

View Full Version : discus tank

OverStocked
08-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Ok i have never had a FW tank but i do have a year old 31g reef tank thats way overstocked and hard to maintain anyways want a heavy planted discus tank 3discus 2anglefish 10 neon tetras 3glass cats and 5 cherry shrimp and a lot of snails.

Tank:
light :
substrate :
filter:
power heads:

Plant's:
temp :
anything i should know:

thanks Brandon

OverStocked
08-27-2010, 04:50 PM
bump

Keith Perkins
08-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Sorry, I guess I don't understand what your question or comment is. :confused:

RudeDogg1
08-27-2010, 05:36 PM
im with u it makes no sence lol

dsmturbo23
08-27-2010, 06:05 PM
i believe he is asking what are all your suggestions for parameters and equipment. Basically what should he use and what should his resting tank specs be.

Skip
08-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Brandon..
if you are new and want to start with Discus.. then start out basic for now, until you get the hang of the First before you get started with plants or anything else..

Basic needs..
Tank
Sponge filter
Thermometer
tank hood/light
Tank Heater..
PRIME
go with Barebottom for now.. thats what i should have started with.. but i torn down my tank and made BB.. but i wanted some plants to.. SO, i have a couple of Moss Balls, 2 Anubis plants *tied to very small pieces of driftwood* and a couple of java ferns these plants are VERY LOW Maintenance..

the most important thing is get use to raising your discus.. water changes, food, OBSERVATION..

i have looked at more extravagant planted tanks.. with substrates.. the secret is C02 tanks, regulators etc.. that was TOO MUCH! i am concerned with Discus first.. no chemicals added to water.. just tap, breeding is another chapter in the book and you are on first page!!

learn from my mistakes!!! DON"T DO TOO MUCH< TOO FAST!! stick to basics!!

if don't want to heed my advice, then good luck with whatever you chose but don't spend too much on discus, cuz you will loss them!!

BUT CYCLE YOUR TANK BEFORE ANYTHING!!

good luck! : )))

halo_demo
08-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Ok i have never had a FW tank but i do have a year old 31g reef tank thats way overstocked and hard to maintain anyways want a heavy planted discus tank 3discus 2anglefish 10 neon tetras 3glass cats and 5 cherry shrimp and a lot of snails.

Tank:
light :
substrate :
filter:
power heads:

Plant's:
temp :
anything i should know:

thanks Brandon

Ok.
So you are new to f.w. AND discus, is that correct? Also, you said your SW tank is way overstocked.. Don't do that. I've learned that while it may be hard to not fill up your tank with all kinds of beautiful fish, you need to restrain, and research.
1. Are the fish you want compatible: I've read from quite a few people on here that Angels and discus are not the best tankmates. Sure some on here have done it with no problems, I would recommend you not risk it.

2. While a heavily planted tank would be nice, I would proably suggest you try experimenting with a planted tank without discus. Like it's been said previously, a heavily planted tank will be alot of work, you will proably need CO2 and the like. I just am worried that the effort of Frequent WC coupled with all the planning and care of a heavily planted tank may be too much until you have some FW experience under your belt.

3. I'm pretty sure most people around here will tell you it's best to Keep Discus in groups of 5 or more due to pecking order and the even spread of aggression. If you keep only 3, you run the risk of one being bullied to death.

4. In my personl experience, Neons do not fare too well in a discus tank. I have Juvies, which may contribute to them becoming midnight snacks, but it's been said that cardnals are better due to the size difference, and the fact that they tend to do better with the Temp.

As Far as tank setup goes.. It is a general rule to have 10g per discus, so if you get the recommended 5, that would be at least a 5og tank. When selecting discus, if you have tyour heart set on substrate and planted, it is best to get adults, since they are a little more forgiving. It's hard work making sure every spot in a planted tank is clean and free from waste (uneaten food, poo, etc) I'm sure you already know you will need to cycle the tank BEFORE you get the discus. As far as filtration goes.. I believe that is a matter of opinion. You have so amny choices.. HoB, canister, Sponge.. that is really up to you. Personally, I have an aquaclear and a Emperor 400 on my tank and they work great. You want to also have a good heater, and it is recommended to have a backup on hand just in case. Heaters are all a matter of preference as well, just be sure it has enough juice to heat your tank size. You also need an accurate thermometer.. I have had problems with heating, so trust me when I say if you don't do it right it can be a headache. A heater control is a plus, but not absolutely nessacary. If you want planted, keep simple plants.. Java fern, amazon swords, pennywort is real tough as well.. I use pool filter sand as a substrate, just be sure to clean whatever substrate you get thuroughly.. if not, you could have a cloudy mess.
I've rambled on enough though.. Just think about what you want to do, research and don't rush in. I'm sure if you do that, We'll be seeing some beautiful tank shots from you in the future.:D Good luck!!

OverStocked
08-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Ok.
So you are new to f.w. AND discus, is that correct? Also, you said your SW tank is way overstocked.. Don't do that. I've learned that while it may be hard to not fill up your tank with all kinds of beautiful fish, you need to restrain, and research.
1. Are the fish you want compatible: I've read from quite a few people on here that Angels and discus are not the best tankmates. Sure some on here have done it with no problems, I would recommend you not risk it.

2. While a heavily planted tank would be nice, I would proably suggest you try experimenting with a planted tank without discus. Like it's been said previously, a heavily planted tank will be alot of work, you will proably need CO2 and the like. I just am worried that the effort of Frequent WC coupled with all the planning and care of a heavily planted tank may be too much until you have some FW experience under your belt.

3. I'm pretty sure most people around here will tell you it's best to Keep Discus in groups of 5 or more due to pecking order and the even spread of aggression. If you keep only 3, you run the risk of one being bullied to death.

4. In my personl experience, Neons do not fare too well in a discus tank. I have Juvies, which may contribute to them becoming midnight snacks, but it's been said that cardnals are better due to the size difference, and the fact that they tend to do better with the Temp.

As Far as tank setup goes.. It is a general rule to have 10g per discus, so if you get the recommended 5, that would be at least a 5og tank. When selecting discus, if you have tyour heart set on substrate and planted, it is best to get adults, since they are a little more forgiving. It's hard work making sure every spot in a planted tank is clean and free from waste (uneaten food, poo, etc) I'm sure you already know you will need to cycle the tank BEFORE you get the discus. As far as filtration goes.. I believe that is a matter of opinion. You have so amny choices.. HoB, canister, Sponge.. that is really up to you. Personally, I have an aquaclear and a Emperor 400 on my tank and they work great. You want to also have a good heater, and it is recommended to have a backup on hand just in case. Heaters are all a matter of preference as well, just be sure it has enough juice to heat your tank size. You also need an accurate thermometer.. I have had problems with heating, so trust me when I say if you don't do it right it can be a headache. A heater control is a plus, but not absolutely nessacary. If you want planted, keep simple plants.. Java fern, amazon swords, pennywort is real tough as well.. I use pool filter sand as a substrate, just be sure to clean whatever substrate you get thuroughly.. if not, you could have a cloudy mess.
I've rambled on enough though.. Just think about what you want to do, research and don't rush in. I'm sure if you do that, We'll be seeing some beautiful tank shots from you in the future.:D Good luck!!

I want to do plants and the other fish first and let it run for 2-mounts be for adding the discus. I have to do 10g water changes weekly on my reeftank and i don't think i would have a problem doing 5g's weekly of fresh R/O water.

I want a really bright white sand and really wide not tall plants do you know any sands and plants that would be good in a discus tank ?

I got a 29g doing nothing with 4x24T5 lighting would this tank be ok ?

jball1125
08-27-2010, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=OverStocked;676362]I want to do plants and the other fish first and let it run for 2-mounts be for adding the discus. I have to do 10g water changes weekly on my reeftank and i don't think i would have a problem doing 5g's weekly of fresh R/O water.

Unless you meant 50g's. you are not even close to the right amount of water changes discus need to thrive. In a heavily planted tank with adult discus and small bio load I would say the minimum amount of water that should be changed is 50% weekly, again the more the better your discus will feel.

OverStocked
08-27-2010, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=OverStocked;676362]I want to do plants and the other fish first and let it run for 2-mounts be for adding the discus. I have to do 10g water changes weekly on my reeftank and i don't think i would have a problem doing 5g's weekly of fresh R/O water.

Unless you meant 50g's. you are not even close to the right amount of water changes discus need to thrive. In a heavily planted tank with adult discus and small bio load I would say the minimum amount of water that should be changed is 50% weekly, again the more the better your discus will feel.

Thats not a problem but do you mean 50% at once or 25/25 at a time ?

jball1125
08-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Discus are ideally kept in groups of 6 or more. Each discus needs ten gallons of water, therefore, the minimum size tank that should be used is 60g. 75g would be better for 6 or 7 adults.

jball1125
08-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Thats not a problem but do you mean 50% at once or 25/25 at a time ?[/QUOTE]

The more at once the better. A lot of people change 100% of the water and thats on a barebottom tank and on a daily basis. This is primarily done when growing juveniles but there are some people that practice it with their adults as well. I like to change 80% every 5 days on my 75 gallon with 6 adult discus.

OverStocked
08-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Thats not a problem but do you mean 50% at once or 25/25 at a time ?

The more at once the better. A lot of people change 100% of the water and thats on a barebottom tank and on a daily basis. This is primarily done when growing juveniles but there are some people that practice it with their adults as well. I like to change 80% every 5 days on my 75 gallon with 6 adult discus.[/QUOTE]

If i did a 80% WC on my SW tank it would kill ever thing.

Jennie
08-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I change about 70 % every other day on my 125, Once a week I wipe down all the glass and at this time I change 90% of the water. I use 2 large sponge filters only and clean them every 14 days. When my new additions arrive I will clean them every week. When I had my 55 I changed 25-30 gallons a day. I don't know about anyone else but I notice a change in my discus on day 2 as not being as active till after I do a water change. For sand I use pool filter sand. If you can't find it at home depot you can get it at a spa dealer. the temp for my tank is set at 85. hope this helps.

Skip
08-27-2010, 10:53 PM
DL65.. i think its funny when i do my WC and i am pouring the water in (its a 30 g so i do an g @ a time..).. they like to swim in the current from the water poured in.. its the funniest thing.. its like they want to surf.. !! : ))

halo_demo
08-27-2010, 10:57 PM
I want to do plants and the other fish first and let it run for 2-mounts be for adding the discus. I have to do 10g water changes weekly on my reeftank and i don't think i would have a problem doing 5g's weekly of fresh R/O water.

I want a really bright white sand and really wide not tall plants do you know any sands and plants that would be good in a discus tank ?

I got a 29g doing nothing with 4x24T5 lighting would this tank be ok ?

You could try Craib Sea Super Naturals Substrate in Moonlight. That is pretty white IMO. Java Fern has a really broad leaf.. maybe some coffeefolia.. You just need plants that can tolerate higher temps.. I would recommend getting hardier plants as well, since you are new to planted tanks. It'd be best if you were to use a larger tank.. Like I said earlier, I would say 5 discus at minimum in order to spread out the pecking/aggression. Use the 10g per fish rule.. though bigger wouldn't be a bad thing. As it is stated by jball, adults would be ideal, as you can get away with a bit less WC. You will still have to do about a 50% or so WC at the very least 2 times a week, though more would be Ideal. With my tank having substrate and Juvies in it.. I do 75-80%WC every other day.. sometimes more if my classload allows it. As for the setup of the tank before the discus that's great..just realize that with other fish introduced into the tank, you will need to QT your discus before you introduce them. This is VITAL to ensure you do not put your new discus at risk of catching anything since their immune system will be lowered from the stress of relocating. If possible, I would cycle without fish, then add discus, then buy a small tank for QT of new additions

OverStocked
08-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Can I have 3 of in a 29g ?

Skip
08-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Can I have 3 of in a 29g ?

is that the tank you want to keep them in as a permanent or are you planning on growing them out and then put them in larger tank>?

it makes a difference..

jball1125
08-27-2010, 11:05 PM
If you rally want to use a 29 then you could house a pair and that would assure that there are no aggression issues. I have seen it done before and it looks really nice.

halo_demo
08-27-2010, 11:13 PM
I agree.. I believe that with 3 discus, there is a great risk for uneven distribution of the aggression, which may lead to the death of one.

Jennie
08-27-2010, 11:26 PM
I think it's the clean water they like:)

DL65.. i think its funny when i do my WC and i am pouring the water in (its a 30 g so i do an g @ a time..).. they like to swim in the current from the water poured in.. its the funniest thing.. its like they want to surf.. !! : ))

OverStocked
08-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Could i have 2 then of a different kind.

Skip
08-27-2010, 11:39 PM
i think you just need to get a bigger tank and not mess around.. get 6 juvies (2-2.5 in) grow them out in your 29..then get a 55 plus in a couple of months... i am growing out 5 in my 30 g and then i am moving up to a 125 g in the near future when i can afford the additional discus from one of the sponsors.. ; )

jball1125
08-27-2010, 11:51 PM
I think two discus can live happily ever after in a 29 gallon. As long as they are a confirmed pair.

OverStocked
08-28-2010, 12:41 AM
OK im going to get 2

Could i still have the other fish ? I want them but i don't really care if i can't

also i have no plans on upgrading the tank.

halo_demo
08-28-2010, 12:57 AM
The angels are a no go.. the CRS might become little snacks, so I'd either get alot and good hiding for them, or just forget them.. use cardnal tetras instead of neons.. I'm not sure about the glass cats.

OverStocked
08-28-2010, 01:02 AM
The angels are a no go.. the CRS might become little snacks, so I'd either get alot and good hiding for them, or just forget them.. use cardnal tetras instead of neons.. I'm not sure about the glass cats.

I don't like cardinal tetras also the LFS i some times go to has vary big neons and i don't mind having to take the angles back if i had to.

halo_demo
08-28-2010, 01:12 AM
You could try the neons. Worst case scenario, they may be tasty treats for your discus, just try and get the biggest healthiest ones you can find..remember you need to QT the discus if you are going to be adding them to a tank with other fish already in it.

Keith Perkins
08-28-2010, 09:24 AM
I've done glass cats with discus in the past with no problems at all. Since the cats tend to stay at the top of the tank, the discus never seemed to even notice them.

MrYin
08-28-2010, 05:14 PM
im new to discus as well so i have a question that may help ovrstk and i.....on the wc, i have a cichlid tank that i do weekly changes in and i use a python to suck the substrate and also to add water back. after adding the tap water i put in chemicals to remove the chlorine. is this the proper way to do wc on a discus tank?

DavidZ
08-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Is a bare tank a must for 2" discus?

Eddie
08-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Is a bare tank a must for 2" discus?

Not really, if you can maintain cleanliness of water/tank, you can do fine. I don't recommend substrate bottom for new discus keepers, actually I never recommend it. LOL

exv152
08-29-2010, 11:22 PM
im new to discus as well so i have a question that may help ovrstk and i.....on the wc, i have a cichlid tank that i do weekly changes in and i use a python to suck the substrate and also to add water back. after adding the tap water i put in chemicals to remove the chlorine. is this the proper way to do wc on a discus tank?

You want to treat the water separately so that it becomes aged. Treat the water for both chlorine and chloramine, as well as air out the water, some even heat the water to match the temp in the tank, before adding to the tank at least 24 hours later. Discus are not like other tropical aquarium fish.