PDA

View Full Version : question about introduce new fish to my tank

eddie238
08-28-2010, 04:00 AM
Hi all
I am new to the hobby, I set up my new tank and get the water nitrogen cycled, now I have 4 neon tetra in 55 gallon tank.
My question is: my tap water`s ph is 7.6,and my tank water`s ph is 8.2, if I buy the fish from the sponsor of this forum or any body how would I introduce them to the new tank without having ph burn or even death?

Thanks for any reply

Eddie
08-28-2010, 06:14 AM
This depends on where you get them, if they are local pickup, then drip method is good. If they are shipped, I'd float the bags to get them the right temp and then just drop the fish in the tank. Your PH is higher than the PH will be in the bag. Rapid PH drops can burn the fish but PH increase are not as harsh on them.

Eddie

mmorris
08-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Sounds to me like you need to age your water. You don't want that sort of a ph spike every time you do a wc. Let the water gas off first before adding it to the fish tank.

MrYin
08-28-2010, 04:56 PM
what do you suggest for that? im new and i need lots of knowledge

mmorris
08-28-2010, 06:03 PM
You need a food-safe barrel or tank with the capacity you need for a wc. Add an airline and a heater, and let the water sit until your ph has gone as high as it is going to go. It might only take a couple of hours.

Skip
08-28-2010, 07:13 PM
eddie.. do you mean.. that you net the fish.. then drop them in.. or do you mean pour the fish and water from bag into tank?

i haven't bought fish that were shipped YET.. but when i do.. i want to be clear on how to transfer them into tank..

Eddie
08-28-2010, 08:51 PM
eddie.. do you mean.. that you net the fish.. then drop them in.. or do you mean pour the fish and water from bag into tank?

i haven't bought fish that were shipped YET.. but when i do.. i want to be clear on how to transfer them into tank..

I dont pour the bag water into the tank. I'll use a net or sometimes my hand.

Eddie

secuono
08-28-2010, 10:08 PM
You never pour water from an unknown source or from another tank.
Are you new to Discus or to fish in general?

diveshooter
08-29-2010, 02:58 AM
Take some time and read through the Sticky's on this site. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained and you'll find out which members will give you helpful, positive advise. Good luck with your new endeavor!

eddie238
08-30-2010, 01:11 AM
thank you eddie, I`m gonna order fish online and will be shipped.It`s good to know that the higher ph won`t hurt the fish.

Eddie
08-30-2010, 01:31 AM
thank you eddie, I`m gonna order fish online and will be shipped.It`s good to know that the higher ph won`t hurt the fish.

Yup, should be fine but I'd also ask the seller what they recommend. Also best to follow the procedures given by the source. ;)

Eddie