PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

SunCity
08-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Ok, last night I lost three of my new juvi discus (I say new, I've had them for about two weeks.) I don't know what's happening but I''m determined not to lose the rest of them. I noticed the three that are gone now had been hanging around on top of the tank the day that they died, from what I saw online someone said that it might be chlorine poisoning from the tap water? (I added some extra water conditioner as soon as I saw that and still lost the third guy) Other than them all hanging out on the top I didn't notice anything strange. I'd just done a water change and fed them as usual and assumed they were up top getting the food. They were all gorgeous little guy and I don't want my remaining four to end like that. If anyone knows what could be going on please, please help. :(

Jennie
08-29-2010, 08:36 AM
what are your parameters. What type of chlorine remover are you using. Do you also have chloramines in your water? Temp?

SunCity
08-29-2010, 08:43 AM
I can't test the parameters right now as I'm at work, but the tank was cycled way before any of these guys went in. The temperature I know is a little low (we keep the tank in the basement and it's hard to keep the temperature up past 80), but up until yesterday everyone had been doing fine. As far as I know there are no chloramines (sp?) in the water, though I suppose it is possible the water company has added some...

Jennie
08-29-2010, 08:50 AM
what conditioner are u using? Need to get that temp up also. Airstones???

SunCity
08-29-2010, 08:52 AM
The only thing we had on hand last night was a bottle of I think it's TetraFin, water conditioner that we use for the Betta fish we keep.

SunCity
08-29-2010, 08:53 AM
We purchased another heater and are still waiting for it to get here (eBay.) and we have two massive airstones running as we speak. (One that has been in there since before the fish have and one new one.)

Jennie
08-29-2010, 08:59 AM
The bottle would say removes chlorine and chloramines. you may have both in your water, so call your water company to find out. Use PRIME as it removes both. adding aquarium salt can help reduce stress.

SunCity
08-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Update: The remaining four that we have are currently hiding in the back corner of the tank were the last one to die actually died. They were out swimming about when I went down there this morning to check on them, they just went back there when the lights came on.

SunCity
08-29-2010, 09:01 AM
How much aquarium salt would you recommend? (I have a 120 gallon tank)

Jennie
08-29-2010, 09:14 AM
1TBS per 10 gallons. you still need to check your parameters and post them here to get any real help. till then, any real advice is stalled.

SunCity
08-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Will add some salt as soon as i get home and test the water and let you know what I find.

boxters
08-29-2010, 09:35 AM
What other fish are in this tank? Where the discus from different shops?

Eddie
08-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Always start with the questionnaire.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=38545

SunCity
08-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Update: I tested the water, all levels are normal (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Chlorine, Cloramine) Everyone seems to be doing much better (I added the aquarium salt just in case. As for the other fish in the tank: theres (now) four discus (two from one store, the other five were from a different store, the three that died were from the second group), 2 Ruby Rams, 18 Cardinal Tetras, 1 Angelfish (about this size of a nickel), 4 Cory Cats, and 4 Bristlenose Plecos.
I think what happened was our heater stopped working the other night and the temperture dropped almost 6 degrees and I think the three we lost were just to young to handle the stress.

Eddie
08-29-2010, 09:38 PM
6 degrees is minute, unless these are fry, it shouldn't have killed them.

boxters
08-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Sounds like cross contamination to me. If they are dark sitting in a corner piled one on top of the other and shedding slime, this is a classic case of discus flue. You best bet would be to treat with gentamycin sulphate