PDA

View Full Version : Problem eating?

MGKelly
08-29-2010, 07:02 PM
i have a couple Discus that try to peck at the food but are unable to pull or suck the food it into their mouths. It doesn't matter what i feed them be it BH, FBW or FDBW. it looks like they are "stretching their mouths or lips" but unable to inhale the food.

i had one fish exhibiting this problem and now have two.

ANY IDEAS ???????

thnx, Joe

Eddie
08-29-2010, 07:41 PM
i have a couple Discus that try to peck at the food but are unable to pull or suck the food it into their mouths. It doesn't matter what i feed them be it BH, FBW or FDBW. it looks like they are "stretching their mouths or lips" but unable to inhale the food.

ANY IDEAS ???????

thnx, Joe

So they are just mouthing food and not actually consuming it. Have you tried a flake food at all?

MGKelly
08-29-2010, 08:14 PM
So they are just mouthing food and not actually consuming it. Have you tried a flake food at all?

Eddie, Yes i have auto feeders with ken's flake also, it doesn't look like they are mouthing the food. It looks like they are extending their lips, but are unable to inhale / suck in the food.
They are hungry as they keep trying and occasionally the food does get sucked in. Looks more like a physical problem of them not being able to suck the food into their mouths.

thnx, Joe

jimg
08-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Is there any white feces? many times with internal flagellates they will go after food but rarely eat it

Eddie
08-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Eddie, Yes i have auto feeders with ken's flake also, it doesn't look like they are mouthing the food. It looks like they are extending their lips, but are unable to inhale / suck in the food.
They are hungry as they keep trying and occasionally the food does get sucked in. Looks more like a physical problem of them not being able to suck the food into their mouths.

thnx, Joe

Never seen fish attempt to eat and not able to at least get the food into their mouths. Either they will attempt to eat and not, or mouth the food and spit it out. What you are saying doesn't make sense. Can you get a video of it?

aalbina
08-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Eddie,

I actually have a very weak fish that exhibits the same behavior that Joe describes. I unfortunately, and inadvertantly, poissoned him with heavy metal (iron) - one recovered and one really didn't. He seems to see the food, hovers over it (tail up) - then flares the gills to suck in water and presumably food, but the strength of the water movement isn't enough to pick the food up off the bare bottom and get into his mouth in about 80% of the attempts. He usually trys several times. Sometimes a healthy fish will take a pull at a pellet or a worm on the bottom and miss it because they were too far away or off center on the food if something distracts them. Usually they take another really quick pull and get it. This guy, and it sounds like Joe's too, will be on target but just seems to lack the ability to create a strong enough suction to lift the food off the bottom into his mouth. If it weren't for his diligence - he wouldn't eat at all. Flake food helps since it's so easy to move but he often spits that back out.

I know what Joe is talking about - but with my fish it's because he's been so severely damaged by the heavy metal poisoning that he's just incredibly weak. I will likely have to euthanize him before too long to prevent him from dying a slow death.

I'm sure that's not the issue with Joe's fish - but I thought I'd try and help describe what I think he's seeing. Certainly not a heavy metal issue for him - but the end result of my heavy metal issue is a weak fish that can't effectively pull food off the bare bottom.

Adam

Eddie
08-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for info Adam. I haven't seen fish display that sort of issue before. How did you pinpoint the problem down to heavy metals?

Take care,

Eddie

aalbina
08-30-2010, 10:41 PM
With much help, patience, and calm from Al. Really a process of elimination - unfortunately too little too late for this little guy.

Adam

Eddie
08-30-2010, 11:36 PM
With much help, patience, and calm from Al. Really a process of elimination - unfortunately too little too late for this little guy.

Adam

Sorry to hear, but good info!

Take care,

Eddie

Ruffy
09-01-2010, 02:53 AM

Adam

everyone on here helps all the time i love SD.:p sorry for the lost

Ruffy
09-01-2010, 02:58 AM

ANY IDEAS ???????

thnx, Joe

I had a lil prob with 1 of my discus similar to this, i didn't know what to do really, I quarantined it and tried to feed it live blackworms cuz they seem to love it alot....it didn't eat either for about 3 or 4 days and i just kept trying and what do ya know it finally tasted a worm and that was the end of that hunger strike....good luck with yours.