PDA

View Full Version : what is minimum water change??

Ruffy
08-31-2010, 12:12 AM
Hi all,

I know this gonna make me sound like a noob, but i am lol.I just got a 125g and was wondering what is the required amount of water that needs to be changed with 14....2-3'' discus in there. I would like to know approx. how much water, how often, and any other advice would be appreciated. :o

Eddie
08-31-2010, 09:28 AM
This depends, there would be a large variety of answers. And trust me, its not a first time question so you have nothing to worry about. First, is it just the discus? Is the filter cycled? Whats your gH?

Ruffy
08-31-2010, 04:14 PM
This depends, there would be a large variety of answers. And trust me, its not a first time question so you have nothing to worry about.

First, is it just the discus?
14 discus and 3 endlers

Is the filter cycled?
yes, 110 aquaclear hang on, and a fluval405

Whats your gH?
not sure need a test kit, any recommendations?

Chad Hughes
08-31-2010, 04:53 PM
How often CAN you change water? I swear I have a point here, so bear with me. :)

Tank maintenance revolves around a lot of factors. First and foremost you need to identify what you are capable of doing. If you have no issues with going through a lot of water and have the time to do it, you could do as much as 100% + a day. Since you are changing so much water, you can feed4 to 10 times throughout the day. Your water quality will be excellent!

Now, if you have a job, family responsibilities and have a water bill to take in to consideration, then you may want to scale things back. Feeding has a direct relationship to water quality. Here are a few scenarios:

Three days a week: 30 to 50% water change, feed three times a day. Do not overfeed at feeding time.

Two days a week: 50% + water change, feed three times a day. Do not overfeed at feeding time.

Once a week: 80 to 100% water change, feed three time a day. Do not overfeed at feeding time.

These are just a few examples of ways you can keep your water quality in great condition. I have used al of them at some point in my discus hobby and they all work. Take notice that each maintenance regime equals about the same amount of water consumed within a weeks time. :) Most discus enthusiasts will encourage frequent large water changes. That's not a bad thing.... but is it practical? Sometimes not.

A few more things to take in to consideration:

Is your tap water stable? (do you need to age, heat and aerate your water?)

If your tap is unstable, how large of an aging container can you provide? If you can only process 50 gallons of water at one time, a once a week water change is not your best option. Twice weekly or three times weekly is better.

What type of food do you feed? High quality foods go a long way! Feed less with excellent foods. You'll get great growth with less mess.

Over filter. Double filter your tank.

See how it's a package deal? One variable affects the next.

Hope that helps some!

Altum Nut
08-31-2010, 04:59 PM
First, is it just the discus?
14 discus and 3 endlers

Is the filter cycled?
yes, 110 aquaclear hang on, and a fluval405

Whats your gH?
not sure need a test kit, any recommendations?

Hi John,

As Eddie mentioned....how long have you cycled you tank before fish went in?
Size of fish in a tank so large may have issues with growing to their full potential provided you give at least 3 50% w/c per week.
Get yourself a test kit....you want to now your water parameters with keeping Discus.
Is your tank bare bottom?
Forgot to mention....your not a noob.

...Ralph

Eddie
08-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Get yourself a test kit....you want to now your water parameters with keeping Discus.

...Ralph

Ditto, finding out all the parameters of your water is very important.

Yboat
08-31-2010, 05:45 PM
I have a 125 with 9 ~5 inch fish, I do a 60 gallon wc every 3 days.

Ruffy
09-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Hi John,

As Eddie mentioned....how long have you cycled you tank before fish went in?
Size of fish in a tank so large may have issues with growing to their full potential provided you give at least 3 50% w/c per week.
Forgot to mention....your not a noob.

...Ralph

how long have you cycled you tank before fish went in?
I cycled the water for a week straight from tap, added about 10g out of my 40g for bacteria purposes(pretty sure disease free), added 2 discus, then added 5(1wk later), then 7 more that i had in my 40g......all new fish quarantined 1wk....if that matters any.

oh and yes it is bare bottom

Ruffy
09-01-2010, 02:25 AM
BTW I do have a job + family, i feed flakes in the morning around 9am...then the wife feeds around 3pm more assorted flakes like beefheart, ON prime reef, spirulina+garlic flakes, i tell her to vary it each day, and around 10pm i come home and its either live blackworms or frozen hikari bloodworms or frozen beefheart.

I also been keeping track and trying to water change every 3 days 20%....so for a month now they been staying alive for me...sometimes 3 or 4 of them get dark....therefore the topic.

also I would like to know what test kits should i be getting...cuz i googled test kits for aquariums and there are over 10 different things that you can test water for...so just wondering which is necessary....THANKS ALL IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP!!!

Ruffy
09-01-2010, 02:34 AM
How often CAN you change water? I swear I have a point here, so bear with me. :)

Tank maintenance revolves around a lot of factors. First and foremost you need to identify what you are capable of doing. If you have no issues with going through a lot of water and have the time to do it, you could do as much as 100% + a day. Since you are changing so much water, you can feed4 to 10 times throughout the day. Your water quality will be excellent!

Now, if you have a job, family responsibilities and have a water bill to take in to consideration, then you may want to scale things back. Feeding has a direct relationship to water quality. Here are a few scenarios:

Three days a week: 30 to 50% water change, feed three times a day. Do not overfeed at feeding time.

Two days a week: 50% + water change, feed three times a day. Do not overfeed at feeding time.

Once a week: 80 to 100% water change, feed three time a day. Do not overfeed at feeding time.

These are just a few examples of ways you can keep your water quality in great condition. I have used al of them at some point in my discus hobby and they all work. Take notice that each maintenance regime equals about the same amount of water consumed within a weeks time. :) Most discus enthusiasts will encourage frequent large water changes. That's not a bad thing.... but is it practical? Sometimes not.

A few more things to take in to consideration:

Is your tap water stable? (do you need to age, heat and aerate your water?)

If your tap is unstable, how large of an aging container can you provide? If you can only process 50 gallons of water at one time, a once a week water change is not your best option. Twice weekly or three times weekly is better.

What type of food do you feed? High quality foods go a long way! Feed less with excellent foods. You'll get great growth with less mess.

Over filter. Double filter your tank.

See how it's a package deal? One variable affects the next.

Hope that helps some!

glad i been doing somewhat like these options ..... thanks Chad.:thumbsup:

Altum Nut
09-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Here is an example of a test kit that will suit your needs.

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp18120/si1317863/cl0/aquariumpharmaceuticalsfreshwatermastertestkit

You suspected that adding 10g was disease free but without testing your not sure.
Your filters would not have established benificial batereria after only one week with just 10g from your other running tank.
In addition, your fish should quarantine for at least 3 weeks.

...Ralph

Ruffy
09-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Here is an example of a test kit that will suit your needs.

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp18120/si1317863/cl0/aquariumpharmaceuticalsfreshwatermastertestkit

You suspected that adding 10g was disease free but without testing your not sure.
Your filters would not have established benificial batereria after only one week with just 10g from your other running tank.
In addition, your fish should quarantine for at least 3 weeks.

...Ralph

I asked Mr. Palumbo (breeder in my area) he gave me some great info about our water here in chicago...all u need is PRIME when water changing no aging water.....and thanks Ralph im gonna get a testing kit asap.

Ruffy
09-01-2010, 12:41 PM
I was browsing for water test kits and found this to be a decent package.

http://www.buy.com/prod/aquarium-pharmaceuticals-freshwater-master-test-kits-freshwater-master/q/listingid/100301118/loc/67447/204569926.html[/URL]

copy/paste i dunno how to make it a link sorry

Altum Nut
09-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I was browsing for water test kits and found this to be a decent package.

http://www.buy.com/prod/aquarium-pharmaceuticals-freshwater-master-test-kits-freshwater-master/q/listingid/100301118/loc/67447/204569926.html[/URL]

copy/paste i dunno how to make it a link sorry

Sorry....I tried and cannot open up anything.
Just go back to the site that were on...then look at your address bar right click copy on it and right click paste on here.
I think i got that right. before you submitt reply, click preview post...if it's blue in color your good to go.

...Ralph

Ruffy
09-03-2010, 01:39 AM
sorry all this was the right address...

http://www.buy.com/prod/aquarium-pharmaceuticals-freshwater-master-test-kits-freshwater-master/q/listingid/100301118/loc/67447/204569926.html

William Palumbo
09-03-2010, 01:55 AM
Hey Ruffy...You can buy that test kit, along with your PRIME or SAFE, from IGO-PRO(David Rose) a sponsor on here. Support our sponsors when you can...Bill

Ruffy
09-06-2010, 11:47 PM
will do

waj8
09-07-2010, 09:49 AM
In a cycled tank, water changes are a function of how much you feed the tank so there is no specific answer to your question. I do sufficient water changes to keep Nitrates under 10 ppm. Others may prefer more pristine water than that. 10 ppm is just what I think I can live with.

In an uncycled tank water changes will be off the chain because ammonia is so much more toxic than nitrate. You have to keep ammonia at undetectable levels.

Eddie
09-09-2010, 03:09 AM
In all my time keeping discus, I have yet to measure nitrates. :D

waj8
09-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Unfortunately, Nitrates that low just won't work in a planted tank. So far I have only tried adult Discus in my tank. I don't think I will ever try to grow out Discus in there. Do you think young Discus would become stunted at 5 to 10 ppm Nitrate?

mjs020294
09-12-2010, 09:48 PM
I test all the tanks and exhibits at a large aquarium and we hardly ever test for nitrates.

As for water changes for discus you can get away with fairly limited changes. The head biologist at the aquarium has a Discus tank in his office and it gets a 20% change weekly. The exhibit tank gets 30-40% changes weekly. Both tanks have good filtration and below 75% load on the tank.