PDA

View Full Version : Discus swimming by itself?

DiscusFreak123
08-31-2010, 07:28 AM
So exactly one week ago I got five discus from Hans that are 2.5" and four of them are always together, but the fifth one isn't near them that often. Like I'll come and look at them, and it'll be alone, just kinda floating around, not really moving. Is like that "pecking order" thing?

I'm also scared, because I've had them for a week and they won't even eat while I'm watching them, I have to walk out of the room then spy on them from behind a door. I've been feeding them a combination of freeze-dried bloodworms and sinking discus pellets, could that be the problem? I'm ordering a beef heart mix and Hikari frozen bloodworms for delivery on Friday, do you think that they'll eat that while I'm there?

Third thing, I keep freaking out that there's something wrong with them, like they're stunted somehow, so here's some pictures for you to see.

Jennie
08-31-2010, 07:31 AM
I don't know why you would feel they are stunted? Do you have a local fish shop you can go by some frozen bloodworms at?? brine? what is the temp of the water?

Eddie
08-31-2010, 07:36 AM
What size tank, how much light and what type of filtration? Also, is the tank in an area with alot of vibration or commotion?

DiscusFreak123
08-31-2010, 07:37 AM
Well, my lfs sells freeze-dried, but are the frozen ones better? Because the closest place that I know of that sells frozen is about 45 min away.

The temp is 84F

But is it okay that it's by itself?

DiscusFreak123
08-31-2010, 07:39 AM
What size tank, how much light and what type of filtration? Also, is the tank in an area with alot of vibration or commotion?

It's a 60 gallon with two Hydro Sponge IVs an AquaClear 40 and a very small airstone

Jennie
08-31-2010, 07:53 AM
I suggested that food as mine like the frz better than the dried and getting them to eat is important. Although the freeze dried blackworms are very nutritional. I take it your parameters are all good? Do you see anyone picking on this one discus?

Eddie
08-31-2010, 08:01 AM
It's a 60 gallon with two Hydro Sponge IVs an AquaClear 40 and a very small airstone

How much light, watts per gallon? And is it in an area where there is alot of movement?

DiscusFreak123
08-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I suggested that food as mine like the frz better than the dried and getting them to eat is important. Although the freeze dried blackworms are very nutritional. I take it your parameters are all good? Do you see anyone picking on this one discus?

All my parameters are good. I don't see them picking on the one discus, but from the looks of it, it is the smallest fish. I also fed them some more freeze dried and they started to eat it, although it wasn't while I was near the tank :mad: , but this was also the first time they were eating them off the surface of the water, I usually have to soak the worms in a cup of tankwater for about 15 min and then pour them in so the sink a little.

@Eddie, I don't know how many watts it is, I just got it as a kit from Petsmart.

Jennie
08-31-2010, 11:06 AM
was the little one eating??

peterhql
08-31-2010, 12:07 PM

+1
more than anything my fish will freak out with vibration from heavy walking or stomping or running. They'll get used to you eventually being around the tank but if you or someone around you goes (stomp stomp stomp) they will flip out, especially when they are young.

For me when they were younger, even going up the stairs and down stairs too quickly startled them. Thankfully, my adults have gotten used to the commotion mostly. I wish I had put some kind of insulation underneith the tank stand when I started.