PDA

View Full Version : Prime

1eyedtuna
08-31-2010, 07:50 PM
How much prime should be added per gallon?

Jennie
08-31-2010, 07:56 PM
you cant really overdose with prime but 1 capful per 50 gallons. so if you have a 29 gallon then a tad more than half a cap....

Melissa
08-31-2010, 09:57 PM
1 cap is equal to 5 ml's.
so if 5 ml's treats 50 gallons... then it's 1ml/10 gallons if you've got something that can measure 1 ml.
I use a baby medicine dropper.

There's approx. 20 drops/ 1 ml... (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_drops_are_in_one_milliliter)
if 1 ml treats 10 gallons... then 20 drops treats 10 gallons. Thats 2 drops per gallon. (roughly)

Pretty sure my math is correct :p Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm not sure if it is 'impossible' to overdose with prime.... the bottle says in emergency situations it's safe to pretty much double the dose.

HTH!

Eddie
08-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Its fine, in a nitrite emergency, you can use 5 X the amount.

An easier way to resolve this whole issue is to use SAFE instead of Prime and you'll save tons of money. ;)

Melissa
08-31-2010, 10:11 PM
I think once i finish off my bottle of Prime i'll be switching to something else. I've been hearing so much about this "SAFE" stuff :p We'll see.

For now, the dosage i was talking about above for the Prime is what I go by and have for a long time. Locally I have a high amount of Chloramine in my tap water and at that dosage of Prime (2 drops/gal) I've never had an issue.

utiliy
09-03-2010, 07:36 AM
i been using prime since like day 1! got a small canister of safe-at 1st i was scared to use it-but when the prime is gone-ill be buying safe.
hope im not out of line-but a sponsor here, david rose sells it, its where i got mine off of-he can expect future sells my way.
money savings like eddie stated-i can see it!
dont let the odor fade u away from it...its not all that bad, the odor is gone in minutes!

goodoo
09-03-2010, 10:32 AM
you can overdose . And it will kill fish. although were talking about a fair amount in order to overdose.

Jhhnn
09-03-2010, 10:53 PM
1 cap is equal to 5 ml's.
so if 5 ml's treats 50 gallons... then it's 1ml/10 gallons if you've got something that can measure 1 ml.
I use a baby medicine dropper.

There's approx. 20 drops/ 1 ml... (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_drops_are_in_one_milliliter)
if 1 ml treats 10 gallons... then 20 drops treats 10 gallons. Thats 2 drops per gallon. (roughly)

Pretty sure my math is correct :p Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm not sure if it is 'impossible' to overdose with prime.... the bottle says in emergency situations it's safe to pretty much double the dose.

HTH!

Your math is correct, afaict.

This is a really great site for conversions of all kinds-

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

To find a conversion for drops, I had to look in the cooking conversions section.

It's a really handy bookmark- I use it for all kinds of stuff...

According to the bottle, 50ml of prime will neutralize 3ppm chloramines in 50gals of water. few water providers use that much chloramine. Denver water, my provider, says on their website that their max is 2.1 ppm, so I've reduced the dose by 1/3 with no ill effects. The legal max is 4ppm. Most providers have websites, and they'll usually answer questions whose answers aren't on their site.

Using 1 capful/ 50gals is definitely a safe dose under almost all circumstances. Armed with more knowledge, many hobbyists can safely adjust the dose downward to conserve funding... 2L bottles last 50% longer for me...