PDA

View Full Version : Discus diet

duckyser
09-01-2010, 04:19 PM
My discus currently seems to only eat bloodworms and maybe brine shrimp if i were to feed both of these could the discus survive, or would more variety be needed? He doesnt seem to even notice any other food i put in the tank

snowflake311
09-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Feeding a variety is best. It keeps them healthy. You could try adding some vitamines to the worms. Vita-chem is great stuff. If they are feeding well just stop worms for a day or 2 and only feed flakes or somthing they should take it. Then again some discus are very picky so they might not.

joshua 74
09-01-2010, 09:25 PM
my blue diamond was like that so i fed them nothing but discus diet and beef heard for a week in the end the hunger took over and he 8 it now i can feed him whatever. i like to have brine shrimp bloodworm real beef hear wich i buy and cut myself and discus diet in a blender add pies lil garlic powder fish vitamins and then blend it all up till it turns into bite size pieces for my discus then re freeze them. its amazing the change iv seen i also sell this to my mait who has Oscars once a week he feeds them this they love it 2 but me both feed our Oscars cheese balls but that’s another story. im abi fan of macking your own food.

Eddie
09-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah, BW and BS do not make a well rounded diet. A fishes immunity/health is largely dependent on its diet. There are essential minerals and vitamins in most processed fish foods like pellets, flakes and crumbles. These are not added because they need fillers, they are added because the fish requires them. Add a flake, pellet or decent mix to your feeding regimen and your fish will be much more healthy.

Eddie

danjadragonfly
09-02-2010, 09:30 AM
well, yes Eddie, therefore I started my discus on different Beef heart mixes (recipes from different breeders and books), 2 years ago and do not feed BW or BS anymore.
Till....................:o one day a breeder told me about mussels.
I can not recall him mentioning that it is only a treat. And what for a treat it is. my discus do not want anything else anymore.
They even avoid my so delicious beef heart mix. only my juvies are eating the beefheart still and my adults just do not touch it. It is very difficult to get beaf heart and I still arranged it.
I am really worried that my discus do not get enough nutrition with the mussels only diet.
what can I do to attract them to beef heart again?:confused:
and please do not tell me garlic I already tried it ;)

Eddie
09-02-2010, 09:35 AM
well, yes Eddie, therefore I started my discus on different Beef heart mixes (recipes from different breeders and books), 2 years ago and do not feed BW or BS anymore.
Till....................:o one day a breeder told me about mussels.
I can not recall him mentioning that it is only a treat. And what for a treat it is. my discus do not want anything else anymore.
They even avoid my so delicious beef heart mix. only my juvies are eating the beefheart still and my adults just do not touch it. It is very difficult to get beaf heart and I still arranged it.
I am really worried that my discus do not get enough nutrition with the mussels only diet.
what can I do to attract them to beef heart again?:confused:
and please do not tell me garlic I already tried it ;)

If they are adults, you can fast them. Stop feeding them for several days, week, week and a half, however long it takes them to eat beefheart again.

danjadragonfly
09-02-2010, 09:49 AM
OK Eddie I will try Thanks so much