PDA

View Full Version : What is the first thing to do when you notice one fish is not eating?

ctzeh
09-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Hi guys, i have one piece in my tank of 8 that stopped eating today. He is the biggest piece of all. The rest are all still eating fine. What should i do first? I am thinking of doing a 100% WC. Do you all think that it is a good idea or should i start with internal bacteria medicine straightaway?

Ivan_Lin
09-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Heater

Jennie
09-04-2010, 07:29 AM
heater?? ctech, is he refusing all foods?? hiding??I assume your parameters are all good but would still be good if you filled out the questionnaire.

ctzeh
09-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

One discus stopped eating for the past 24 hours of so. Slight clamping of fins and tends to stay at one spot. However, he is still moving his side fins and seems to be breathing slightly harder then the rest. Would not even take frozen brine shrimp. The other 7 in tank are still eating well. The discus that stopped eating is the biggest one so i guessed we could rule out the pecking order.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, )

I noticed that the appetite of that piece has been getting poorer over the past week.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None at all except for regular 100% WC every 3 days.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

40 gallon BB tank, with 7 other discus. Tank is 6 months old. Last discus was added 4 weeks ago with quarantine for 2 weeks.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

100 % WC twice a week.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _86____

- ph __7.0___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _15___

- municipal water __yes__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

One discus added four weeks ago with two weeks of prior quarantined.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

ctzeh
09-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Heater

Hi Ivan, i have a heater but could you explain why a heater could solve the problem?

jimg
09-04-2010, 09:27 AM
cut back on water change to 30% every day if you can. 100% is too much in one shot IMO

Jennie
09-04-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm thinking 7 discus in 40 gallon tank is too many. wonder if it is stress related.

Eddie
09-05-2010, 07:12 AM
How old are the fish? Yes, 7 in a 40 gallon is pretty tight. You did not mention your water, do you age it or use straight tap? What foods do you feed?

ctzeh
09-05-2010, 07:47 AM
How old are the fish? Yes, 7 in a 40 gallon is pretty tight. You did not mention your water, do you age it or use straight tap? What foods do you feed?

Hi Eddie, great to have you around. My fish are all about 8 months old and between 3 to 4 inches. Btw, i am far away in Singapore not in the US as the flag on my profile shows. I do not age my water just as many discus keepers over here don't. Currently, my discus are on a diet of pellets, flakes and FBS. I do not feed BH or BW.

Today, that particular piece seems very edgy, looks to be flapping its fins quickly and tends to move close to the surface at times. For your info, i have added in 2 tbsp of Epsom salt into the tank. Is there anything i should lok out for?

Eddie
09-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Yeah, definitely need to up the water changes. 7 discus at that age eat plenty and you can feed plenty but you need to keep everything super clean. I keep my tanks at 10 gallons per fish and perform 100% daily water changes and thats still not enough IMO. I'd prefer to do 2 each 100% daily but thats just me. :D

Ivan_Lin
09-05-2010, 11:29 PM
HI czteh, the main explanation is that discus would want to eat more in hot temperatures rather than cold. Also heater kills internal parasites inside the discus how? Because of the heat parasites can not tolerate it. Also don't forget when you are using a heater make sure that during water changes do not change more than 30 percent because it can lead to a temperature shocks which can cause stress and cause sickness. What I do is that 30 percent on morning 20 percent on evening. Thanks!

ctzeh
09-06-2010, 03:00 AM
HI czteh, the main explanation is that discus would want to eat more in hot temperatures rather than cold. Also heater kills internal parasites inside the discus how? Because of the heat parasites can not tolerate it. Also don't forget when you are using a heater make sure that during water changes do not change more than 30 percent because it can lead to a temperature shocks which can cause stress and cause sickness. What I do is that 30 percent on morning 20 percent on evening. Thanks!

Thanks Ivan for the info and help. Today, that piece seems to be getting worse. Now, it is just hanging at the bottom near the sponge filter and breathing slightly heavier. What should i do now? The rest of the discus still seem rather unaffected.

Eddie
09-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Thanks Ivan for the info and help. Today, that piece seems to be getting worse. Now, it is just hanging at the bottom near the sponge filter and breathing slightly heavier. What should i do now? The rest of the discus still seem rather unaffected.

Remove it, put it in a QT tank for now.

ctzeh
09-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Remove it, put it in a QT tank for now.

Hi Eddie, i noticed that it also has slime peeling off the bottom fins. What does this mean?

Eddie
09-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Hi Eddie, i noticed that it also has slime peeling off the bottom fins. What does this mean?

Could be parasite, bacterial or PH burn. Can you get a picture of the fish? Are there other symptoms like clamped fins, erratic swimming, flashing?

Eddie

ctzeh
09-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Could be parasite, bacterial or PH burn. Can you get a picture of the fish? Are there other symptoms like clamped fins, erratic swimming, flashing?

Eddie

Hi Eddie, here's the fish. He's the red panda. He keeps hanging out at that part of the tank facing slightly upwards. There is some slime peeling from the bottom fins though it cannot be seen in this picture. You mentioned ph burn, if it really is, how do i treat it? Also, why does it not affect the other fishes?

Eddie
09-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Hi Eddie, here's the fish. He's the red panda. He keeps hanging out at that part of the tank facing slightly upwards. There is some slime peeling from the bottom fins though it cannot be seen in this picture. You mentioned ph burn, if it really is, how do i treat it? Also, why does it not affect the other fishes?

PH burn was just a thought, no way to treat it. It would be something that healed over time. I can't tell anything from the picture, just seems like the fish is chillin towards the top. Fins look erect, might just be some bullying fish. Is there some reason why the tank isn't filled all the way with water?

ctzeh
09-06-2010, 07:50 AM
PH burn was just a thought, no way to treat it. It would be something that healed over time. I can't tell anything from the picture, just seems like the fish is chillin towards the top. Fins look erect, might just be some bullying fish. Is there some reason why the tank isn't filled all the way with water?

Hi Eddie, I don't suspect it to be bullying cos it is the biggest piece. The tank is not filled to the top as i want to cut down on the water when i do 100% WC. I intend to fill it full in the near future.

Eddie
09-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Hi Eddie, I don't suspect it to be bullying cos it is the biggest piece. The tank is not filled to the top as i want to cut down on the water when i do 100% WC. I intend to fill it full in the near future.

Water changes are one thing you can't cut back on unless you have an advanced system. You are 2 times over stocked for that tank and it's vital to keep the fish in pristine water. Poor water conditions are one culprit for bacteria infections.

ctzeh
09-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Water changes are one thing you can't cut back on unless you have an advanced system. You are 2 times over stocked for that tank and it's vital to keep the fish in pristine water. Poor water conditions are one culprit for bacteria infections.

Ok Eddie, i will get them a bigger tank this coming November. In the meanwhile, i will try to step up the water changes. Also, is there anything that can really perk up the appetites of the fishes?

nc0gnet0
09-06-2010, 10:26 AM
You can increase your tank size by filling it. If you need to cut down on water consumption, you also need to cut down on the amount of fish you have......there is a direct correlation.

Eddie
09-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Ok Eddie, i will get them a bigger tank this coming November. In the meanwhile, i will try to step up the water changes. Also, is there anything that can really perk up the appetites of the fishes?

Yup, clean water. ;)

ctzeh
09-07-2010, 05:36 AM
Yup, clean water. ;)

That piece is still not eating today. Hope that it will pull through.

Eddie
09-07-2010, 05:45 AM
That piece is still not eating today. Hope that it will pull through.

Have to give them time, up the water quality. Seen some fish go months without food. Definitely not something that people want but the fish can survive if its healthy. Improve the living conditions and go from there.

danjadragonfly
09-07-2010, 06:30 AM
with so many fish in such a small tank it is easily possible that he feels threatened by other fish. Did you observe what the pecking order is? Maybe he is on the end of the chain and just intimidated by all the other fish at feeding.

What are you feeding by the way?

ctzeh
09-07-2010, 08:11 AM
with so many fish in such a small tank it is easily possible that he feels threatened by other fish. Did you observe what the pecking order is? Maybe he is on the end of the chain and just intimidated by all the other fish at feeding.

What are you feeding by the way?

He is the biggest piece in the tank and previously (a week ago) had possibly the second best appetite in the group. After each feeding can see his round belly. In terms of pecking order, he should be 2 or 3. I suspect he could be suffering from some parasite attack which totally put him off. I have been changing the water everyday to give him the best conditions. Do not want to add meds yet as the other fishes are still very healthy.

Btw, i heard that adding ketapang leaves into a tank can be good for discus. Is that true? Also, do you guys think i should try ON prime reef flakes? It's really expensive over here in Singapore. I am currently feeding pellets, flakes and FBS.

Eddie
09-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Ketapang leaves won't do much for a fish that has stopped eating. It would assist in healing minor exterior damage. Prime Reef is good but if its expensive there in Sing, I'd use foods that don't break the bank. Might try to make your own food from heart or seafood, very easy and cheap in the long run.

Eddie