PDA

View Full Version : Quater size fry and breathing

Sivasama
09-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Hey everyone. I am raising my first batch of 8 fry and I have kept them all alive up to the point of quarter size at about 6 weeks. I have seen some heavy, fast breathing with the fry. I had a bit of ammonia creep up on me as I ended up having 1.0 ammonia. This was due to my RO tap mix being tainted. I don't know what happened but I had a change in my tap water with ammonia hitting 8 PPM. I caught it but not before the fish got exposed to 1.0PPM ammonia for a few days. Color of the fry was darker durning this time. I also have had flashing and heavy or quick breathing. I tried treating them with Prazi Pro and it works as long as it is in the tank. I have to do daily water changes so I dose and the next day I change out water. I know Prazi works quickly so it should do it's thing and the breathing shouldn't return for a while....but it does. I have seen 1 fish using only 1 gill from time to time. After treatment it uses both. Since Prazi will take care of flukes for a while, I wonder if it isn't gill flukes might this be Bacterial? If it is Bacterial how should this be treated on fry???? Ammonia problem is solved. My water is as follows.

7.4 PH
TDS around 75
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
No test for nitrate
KH 3

Daily 75% water changes and wipes. 90% RO water to 10% Tap and treated with Prime to convert ammonia to Free Ammonia.

Maybe the fish breath heavy when they are young. They seem to lay low around the sponge when I look at them from a distance....when I walk up they are up and down looking for me to feed them, so I can't tell if they just start breathing hard when I come near since they think they will be fed?

Any other thoughts or advice would be great. I have put a lot of work into these fry to see what they would turn out like and I don't want to lose them now. I guess many of you know how much work this is and know the first time frustration of it all.

Thanks

Travis

Eddie
09-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Hey there Travis, might try a handful of salt. Add back any removed with water changes. If it bacterial, then antibiotics would be required but generally treating fry with antibiotics isn't a good practice. Its definitely a last ditch effort and I would not use any in your case. Go with the salt and skip the PraziPro.

Keep us updated

Eddie

Sivasama
09-05-2010, 09:28 AM
How much salt would you use in this case? I thought about salt but I'm new to raising fry. I'm moving them to a 55 today as well.

Travis

Eddie
09-05-2010, 09:31 AM
How much salt would you use in this case? I thought about salt but I'm new to raising fry. I'm moving them to a 55 today as well.

Travis

3/4 cup.

Sivasama
09-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Wow Eddie, I watched as the salt dissolved and the fish breathing started to slow. Instant relief. What does the salt do to the gills to make this even possible? That's some good stuff for the price. I will have to start using salt more often for my fish. Looks like they could really benefit from it.

Thanks again

Travis

Jennie
09-05-2010, 06:51 PM
salt relieves stress, effective against nitrite poisoning,effective against some parasites, etc... but would not use it as an ongoing treatment.

Eddie
09-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Wow Eddie, I watched as the salt dissolved and the fish breathing started to slow. Instant relief. What does the salt do to the gills to make this even possible? That's some good stuff for the price. I will have to start using salt more often for my fish. Looks like they could really benefit from it.

Thanks again

Travis

As DL mentioned, it does many things. It can also help with bacterial gill disease and also helps with regular gill function. ;)

Eddie
09-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey there Travis, how are these pups doing? Still doing better?

Take care,

Eddie

Sivasama
09-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey Eddie,
It seemed like they were getting better but in the last couple of days I have seen 2 using only 1 gill and breathing rapidly. Salt isn't helping now. Not sure what to do. They are about 2 months old now. Any other ideas?
They all eat like little pigs and continue to look great and grow.

Travis

Eddie
09-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Hey Eddie,
It seemed like they were getting better but in the last couple of days I have seen 2 using only 1 gill and breathing rapidly. Salt isn't helping now. Not sure what to do. They are about 2 months old now. Any other ideas?
They all eat like little pigs and continue to look great and grow.

Travis

PM sent