PDA

View Full Version : White sand and plants

DiscusBR
09-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone,

I am going back to discus-keeping after a 15-year interruption and I have a question about substrate and plants. I am planning a 65 gallon planted tank with 5 wild discus. A lot of people in this forum prefer to use white pool filter sand instead of gravel and I like how tanks with white sand look. I have also read that while gravel is a dirt collector, dirt stays on top of white sand and it is therefore easier to clean the tank. However, I have also read that sand substrates can lead to “anoxic area formation” :confused:, with anaerobic sulfer eating bacterias that can have potentially deadly chemical effects for the fish. It seems that the best solution to that problem is to use a thinner layer of sand (about 2"). Needless to say, as a beginner I am quite lost with all this information :confused:. I have several questions: is it safe to use pool filter sand? It this type of substrate appropriate for plants? Will plants thrive in this type of substrate? If that is not the case, can I have white sand in some areas of the tank, with no plant, and have another type of substrate (which one is best?) in the areas where I will have plants?

Thanks in advance for your input.

yikesjason
09-05-2010, 02:29 PM
pool filter sand is coarse enough that you don't have to worry too much about anaerobic soil conditions. Especially with plants, as the roots do a lot of prevention.

There are not really any nutrients in sand like that. So heavy root feeders like crypts and swords can have a hard time. Fertilizers added to the water can help with most other plants. There are a few options though.

-Use the sand as a cap on a nutrient rich substrate like mineralized soil.
-Use root tabs to feed the root feeders.
-Use tank planters like these (http://ripariumsupply.com/store-tank-planters.html) from hydrophyte at Riparium Supply buried in the sand.

diveshooter
09-05-2010, 04:42 PM
pool filter sand is coarse enough that you don't have to worry too much about anaerobic soil conditions. Especially with plants, as the roots do a lot of prevention.

There are not really any nutrients in sand like that. So heavy root feeders like crypts and swords can have a hard time. Fertilizers added to the water can help with most other plants. There are a few options though.

-Use the sand as a cap on a nutrient rich substrate like mineralized soil.
-Use root tabs to feed the root feeders.
-Use tank planters like these (http://ripariumsupply.com/store-tank-planters.html) from hydrophyte at Riparium Supply buried in the sand.

+1

wannafish
09-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Hello,

I have used pool sand for a little over a year now,
and I think it works just fine. The anaerobic pockets are
not abundant and if you stir up the sand every once in
a while it loosens the pocket. I have root plants and I have
noticed with some root tabs the root system gets going
really well. If you get any snails they break up the sand.
It takes a little while for the root plants to establish.

zamboniMan
09-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I use the pool filter sand as a top layer. After you get the hang of it it's very easy to clean.

This what I usually do:

1) Pack the sides of the tank up to 4" with wet pool filter sand.

2) Add 1/4" presoaked peat moss.

3) Add 1/2" presoaked organic miracle grow

4) Add 1/2" moist diatomacious earth

5) Add 1" to 1 1/2" wet pool filter sand

Next, just add plants and water and your good to go. The extra sand on the sides will fall and level out when you add water. I usually add water over a piece of slate so that I don't make a mess with clouding the water with sand.

cfi on the fly
09-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Been using straight pool filter sand for almost 2 years now and I have never even had a hint of trouble.

DiscusBR
09-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Thank you all for your responses. You have clarified all my doubts and I have decided to use white pool filter sand in my tank. To simplify, I will have a low-tech tank, with a few plants in driftwood and in tank planters (no C02). As usual, this site has been very helpful.

h2osanity
09-08-2010, 07:55 PM
When in doubt, Malaysian Trumpet snails will keep the substrate turned over with no anaerobic areas. MTS themselves can become an issue if you over feed so be careful about adding them.

samuelkl
09-18-2010, 10:32 PM
adding to others, mts definitely help, having some bigger corys or loaches help maintain an acceptable mts population. my 2'' + haradschultzi cories seem to like smaller mts as snacks in between meals. i also have white sand (mine is the more expensive caribsea supernaturnal version) in a 2'' layer, with big amazon sword plants which i use seachem flourish tabs to root feed. not using co2. been going very well thus far
hth