PDA

View Full Version : discus white on it

victor_r
09-05-2010, 06:26 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

have small 2 inch red turquois with a white streakes on both sides of it overnight

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

i pulled him from my show tank and got him into a 20gal tank now he turned darkbut not anymore eats and swims fine once and awile breathsalmost like frairing real heavy for a bit then stops also pulls fis fin to his body for a bit then swims it again otherwise none of the rest

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

none

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55 gal new filter fluvul 305 added last night did have a hang on back filter total 6 discus 2 to 4 inch all juvies with tthe sick one two blue rams 1.5 and 2 inch did notice i think they are breeding keep chassing the discus to one side of tank 1 bushy nose pleco 4 inch one common pleco 5.inch need to get rid of him and 12 zebra snails

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

15 gal of water twice a week tap water tank running for 7months flora max subtrate lots of plants and drift wood
6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____82 degrees f

- ph _____ 7.2

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0

- well water ____no

- municipal water ____is this tap water

hardness GH ppm 100

alkalinity KH ppm 140

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
6 zebra snails 15 days ago

am a begginer ive had the discus for 3 montths now so dont know alot about them also first time ive posted here i got to get a pic im getting a better camera to do that any info would be great

Eddie
09-05-2010, 07:46 PM
If you are only doing 15 gallon waterchanges, twice weekly, your nitrates will be much higher than 0. I'd also recommend you upping the amount/frequency to keep things in check. I know snails can also be disease carriers too so its like skipping quarantine. Definitely watch the other fish. For the 1 sick one that you moved, can you get a video or photo?

victor_r
09-06-2010, 07:24 PM
pictures im not the best photographer i cant get a clear picture of my red turq with the white but the white are like lines going different directions from center of bodu to tail and since he has ben in this tank it wont eat or even mave from the filter

the second photo i have started to notice two others in the tank this one with a sunken belly and holding one fin and i noticed its tail splitting the other one i dont have a picture of looks about the same all three of these little one are about 2 inches the other three in the tank look and act fine but they have doubled there size these two are also hidding alot

also i should mention my two rams are really keeping all my discus two one end of the tank

Eddie
09-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Personally, the little guy in the first picture just looks scared, fins are not clamped and can't see any obvious skin defects. It sounds to me that your rams are stressing the group. They are probably tearing up the tail fin on the pigeon blood and other fish. I'd recommend putting all the discus in either the main tank or QT tank and isolating the rams from the discus to reduce stress.

Eddie

victor_r
09-06-2010, 07:49 PM
also i was just reading about bh and thats one of the things i feed and it said it couses foul water how do i know if my water if foul it is clear dont smell andeverything reads ok is 15 gal twice a week ok for water changes i should aslo say i have a 55 gal but its only holding arould 40 gal with the 3d background and subtrate and driftwood could this be making them unhappy

victor_r
09-06-2010, 07:51 PM
also had a question is a uv filter woth investing do they really help in preventing problems

Eddie
09-06-2010, 07:52 PM
also i was just reading about bh and thats one of the things i feed and it said it couses foul water how do i know if my water if foul it is clear dont smell andeverything reads ok is 15 gal twice a week ok for water changes i should aslo say i have a 55 gal but its only holding arould 40 gal with the 3d background and subtrate and driftwood could this be making them unhappy

BH is definitely not the cleanest food and most of the store bought/processed stuff is really messy. Its not a food I would suggest you using, given your current routine. Might look into some cleaner type foods. Also, what type of filter do you use and do you use a prefilter at all?

victor_r
09-06-2010, 08:12 PM
a fluval 305 canister filter goes threw foam then fluval clear max then peat granules then biomax ceramic rings also boing to list the things i add to my tank for chemicals is amquel plus , nutrafin cycle, and seachem florish, aslo was looking into the instant amazon but dont really know why i want to add something when this is working for my now just thought you might have some info on the insteant amazon i have a home made beef heart that i made they seem to love it and are waiting for it at the top of the tank everyday at the same times lol got them trained

jimg
09-06-2010, 08:19 PM
also had a question is a uv filter woth investing do they really help in preventing problems

do not waste your money! they're fine for some algae control but in an aquarium if you have that much algae to need one you have other issues

victor_r
09-06-2010, 08:29 PM
nope no alae yet well nothing thats taking over my tank

Eddie
09-06-2010, 08:36 PM
a fluval 305 canister filter goes threw foam then fluval clear max then peat granules then biomax ceramic rings also boing to list the things i add to my tank for chemicals is amquel plus , nutrafin cycle, and seachem florish, aslo was looking into the instant amazon but dont really know why i want to add something when this is working for my now just thought you might have some info on the insteant amazon i have a home made beef heart that i made they seem to love it and are waiting for it at the top of the tank everyday at the same times lol got them trained

Do you use a prefilter on the inlet? Also, the Instant Amazon is not a bad product but the frequent water changes kind of just flushes it down the drain. I feel it would be a waste for now but maybe something to look into once the fish are adults and water changes are less frequent.

Also, also Jim mentioned, UV wouldn't be advantagous IMO.

Eddie

victor_r
09-06-2010, 08:50 PM
no pre filter on the inlet

Eddie
09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
no pre filter on the inlet

Its a life saver! Keeps large particulate (food) out of the canister and keeps your fish happy. ;) Imagine chunks of rotting food in the filter, water continuously be filtered through the rotten food...not a good deal for the fishes.

Eddie

victor_r
09-06-2010, 09:37 PM
ok sounds good got to admit i dont know what they are well i kinda do its basically a sponge on the intake so what one u recamend and how do i maintaine and clean it

Eddie
09-06-2010, 09:44 PM
ok sounds good got to admit i dont know what they are well i kinda do its basically a sponge on the intake so what one u recamend and how do i maintaine and clean it

Filtermax prefilters work fairly well.

http://www.kensfish.com/atipondandprefilters.html

I use another type sold here in Japan thats superfine pore and slips onto the inlet strainer of any canister filter inlet.

You can clean/rinse them daily. ;)

victor_r
09-06-2010, 09:56 PM
sounds good will invest also will do more water change
btw i took the rams out and put my other discus in the main tank they have all ben out more but the one pigion blood just kinda floats in one spot even seems to tilt sideways once and awile

Eddie
09-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Sounds like a good move. Stress is a major trigger of disease in discus, whether internal or external issues.

The Pigeon in the photo looks a bit rough, very sunken stomach and behind on the growth curve. Does it eat? Have you seen it drop feces? How does the feces look?

victor_r
09-06-2010, 10:32 PM
eats only the blood worm but i only drop in blood worm twice a week so it dont seem to eat much when i feed it seems to come to the food and grab it then spit it out i have not seen any feces from it specificallybut have not seen any thing white or stringy at the bottom of the tank the blood worm is store bought san fransisco brand

Eddie
09-07-2010, 12:49 AM
eats only the blood worm but i only drop in blood worm twice a week so it dont seem to eat much when i feed it seems to come to the food and grab it then spit it out i have not seen any feces from it specificallybut have not seen any thing white or stringy at the bottom of the tank the blood worm is store bought san fransisco brand

Yeah, it is in very poor health and would not expect it to last. Bloodworms are a curse IMO, if you get fish that will only eat them and you feed them sparingly, the fish will never be in good health.

victor_r
09-07-2010, 07:55 AM
o thats just great so what can i do for the little guy

Eddie
09-07-2010, 07:58 AM
o thats just great so what can i do for the little guy

Hard to say, he might be on a dead end road. I guess just hope for the best and get your other pups eating plenty of other foods.

victor_r
09-07-2010, 09:00 PM
also have hotice it shakes once and awhile like shivers or something

Eddie
09-07-2010, 09:10 PM
also have hotice it shakes once and awhile like shivers or something

Its pretty stunted so the age of the fish is unknown. If a fish shakes/shivers, it may be trying to breed but it can also be an irritation on the body. Does the fish stay a particular area and peck on objects at all?

victor_r
09-07-2010, 09:15 PM
sorry this is one of the other fish pigion blood and it roams the tank with curiosity its about 3 to 3.5 inshes this is not the stunted one that looks all sick

Eddie
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
sorry this is one of the other fish pigion blood and it roams the tank with curiosity its about 3 to 3.5 inshes this is not the stunted one that looks all sick

Sorry, when you said "it", I thought you were referring to the fish we've been talking about. Difficult to decipher if you are talking about a totally different fish. :o

victor_r
09-07-2010, 09:43 PM
yea sorry i realized that i dont really expect the sick one to make it and just for the future how do not get a stunted fish

Eddie
09-07-2010, 09:48 PM
yea sorry i realized that i dont really expect the sick one to make it and just for the future how do not get a stunted fish

Well, to prevent getting stunted/poor quality fish, you can always check out any of the Simply Sponsors. Also, the Hobbyist Breeder section has some good sources. You can always look at the feedback from others to see who has some quality fish. ;)