PDA

View Full Version : Stringy White Poop... still

zekni
09-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Started out with 27 juvies and down to 12 after a bout of gill flukes and bacterial infection/fin rot after my boyfriend lovingly introduced a lfs discus to my juvie tank for my birthday ( :o ). Still treating with trichlofloron (sp? the bottle isn't in front of me) as directed on the label for four weeks. Into week three currently. Also just finished an 8 day course of metro.
Fish all look great at this point, no trace of baterial infections, they're all swimming with both pectoral fins again (and straight up and down mind you.. shwew!), color is great and they're eating ravenously.
However... they still have stringy white poop.

I don't want to continue medicating if I don't have to... suggestions?

Eddie
09-06-2010, 03:17 AM
I'd probably give them a break off the meds for a while and just feed them well. Is there any way you can find someone with a microscope to take a look at the feces?

zekni
09-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I'd probably give them a break off the meds for a while and just feed them well. Is there any way you can find someone with a microscope to take a look at the feces?

I might. I teach a bellydance class tonight and one of my students is always at her college lab growing viruses and splicing dna and whatnot. I would assume she would have access to a microscope.
What would she be looking for? Something moving in the feces? And would I collect some and refrigerate it?

Thanks

Eddie
09-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I might. I teach a bellydance class tonight and one of my students is always at her college lab growing viruses and splicing dna and whatnot. I would assume she would have access to a microscope.
What would she be looking for? Something moving in the feces? And would I collect some and refrigerate it?

Thanks

Yes, you would need to take a sample of the feces, as fresh as possible. :o

LizStreithorst
09-07-2010, 07:09 PM
It would be better if she could come to your house with a scope and you collect a poo that has not yet touched the bottom of the tank. Tell her that she should be looking for flagellets. It's important to count the number of flagella.

Do you know who the supplier of the LFS Discus is?

Eddie
09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
It would be better if she could come to your house with a scope and you collect a poo that has not yet touched the bottom of the tank. Tell her that she should be looking for flagellets. It's important to count the number of flagella.

Do you know who the supplier of the LFS Discus is?

I'd also recommend looking for capillaria eggs.

LizStreithorst
09-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Sorry Eddie, that goes without saying. Worms can be a problem but flagellets can be a much bigger problem. They aren't always heximita.

All the fish were fine until shortly after your beloved introduced the new one, right?

Eddie
09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Sorry Eddie, that goes without saying. Worms can be a problem but flagellets can be a much bigger problem. They aren't always heximita.

All the fish were fine until shortly after your beloved introduced the new one, right?

True, if the OP went with an 8 day metro treatment and still getting the stringy feces, it's just a precaution to also check for cap eggs. Could also be bacterial but if we are looking at the poop, might as well go for the gold. :D

LizStreithorst
09-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I doubt that it's bacterial. They're eating well so I suppose it could be worms. You know, Eddie, there are worse flagellets for fish than Spiro. She's lost a lot of fish since the intrduction of this new one.

Eddie
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
I doubt that it's bacterial. They're eating well so I suppose it could be worms. You know, Eddie, there are worse flagellets for fish than Spiro. She's lost a lot of fish since the intrduction of this new one.

Oh definitely could be another form of flagellates. Its just the whole eating well thing and still having stringy poo that makes me think worms, but thats just me. :o

LizStreithorst
09-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Worms would be a blessing. They are SO easily treated for. The scope will tell.

Eddie
09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Worms would be a blessing. They are SO easily treated for. The scope will tell.

I agree, seems like flagellates are the harder of the 2 to deal with. I prefer to not deal with either of them. :D