PDA

View Full Version : once a week starve?

csarkar001
09-06-2010, 11:16 AM
what is the thinking behind some of you who skip feedings one day a week?

Jennie
09-06-2010, 11:24 AM
answering with another Q. What is the purpose?:confused:

Skip
09-06-2010, 11:35 AM
i have never done that.. then again.. i haven't been gone for a weekend.. i would rather have my fish not eat for day.. then have my brother DUMP an in Container of food!!!

seriously.. imho.. ..actually i don't know.. but after the one day fast.. they sure would want to eat!!! : ))) :bandana:

Jennie
09-06-2010, 11:38 AM
W, Im not sure he's referring to being gone for a day or two. I feel there is a purpose behind the question. For yourself though you can get automatic feeder, not worry about your bro overfeeding or them going hungry

csarkar001
09-06-2010, 11:56 AM
no, i am not talking about being away from home.

some discus keepers intentionally do not feed one day a week. i'm trying to figure out what the logic is behind this. maybe it helps clean out the discus' internal system.

Skip
09-06-2010, 11:58 AM
W, Im not sure he's referring to being gone for a day or two. I feel there is a purpose behind the question. For yourself though you can get automatic feeder, not worry about your bro overfeeding or them going hungry

DL65.. you don't know my brother!!! LOL

but i think the orginal question. was that some people don't feed for one day.. i haven't really seen that yet... but thats not to say.. its not in here.. LOL>>

i should look into one of them fancy gadgets.. great.!! another reason not to get up from chair and do house work!! :antlers:

vera
09-06-2010, 12:35 PM
How big /old are they?
with adults there is no problem a day a week without food , +it will help filtration to rest

pcsb23
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
what is the thinking behind some of you who skip feedings one day a week?I tend to miss one day a week with sub adult and adult discus. Have done for some years now. Reasoning behind it is simple, gives the fish time to empty it's gut and "rest". It also ensures they feed avidly. Now I know many will say theirs feed avidly anyway and that's good. Most people tend to feed discus too much, so a days rest for adults will never, ever harm them.

Ed13
09-06-2010, 12:57 PM
I tend to miss one day a week with sub adult and adult discus. Have done for some years now. Reasoning behind it is simple, gives the fish time to empty it's gut and "rest". It also ensures they feed avidly. Now I know many will say theirs feed avidly anyway and that's good. Most people tend to feed discus too much, so a days rest for adults will never, ever harm them.
^This^ It's a rest and purge thing! It's kinda hard to for the organs to process all that high protein food if you are powerfeeding.

I don't like it for young growing fish and when I do it's not a scheduled weekly thing. More like once every two weeks or once a month thing, let's just say it's not really planned;)

Jennie
09-06-2010, 01:35 PM
hmm, that's good to know

csarkar001
09-06-2010, 10:50 PM
these answers are pretty much what i figured.

would love to see a side by side controlled experiment on this with half the juvies fed 7 days a week and the other half fed 6 and then see what the two groups look like in 18 months time ... probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Eddie
09-07-2010, 01:10 AM
these answers are pretty much what i figured.

would love to see a side by side controlled experiment on this with half the juvies fed 7 days a week and the other half fed 6 and then see what the two groups look like in 18 months time ... probably just wishful thinking on my part.

I don't give my fish days off, not willingly anyways. Never had any issues