PDA

View Full Version : Vacations

Aquaben19
09-06-2010, 08:35 PM
So I go out of town from Friday night to Monday afternoon for the holiday weekend. Had a great time camping with the family, couldn't ask for anything more. I walk through the door, tired from a long drive home, and something doesn't feel right to me. I look in my main upstairs 55 gal, home to my favorite stendkers, and find a disaster.

Every single fish has white film over thier eye, fins a tad frayed, super dark and hanging out in the back.... some have scratches and scales missing. I just sat in front of my tank for a good half hour just thinking to myself... "why does it always happen when you leave town?"

Sidenote.. no one took care of my tanks as I was trying to avoid problems such as this... such irony..

Anyway.. I dont see any outward signs of disease. So.. I did a WC, turned out the lights... and I'll do the same thing in the morning... lets hope for the best.

vera
09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Ouch , that hurts , hope they recover soon
TC

Eddie
09-06-2010, 08:40 PM
So I go out of town from Friday night to Monday afternoon for the holiday weekend. Had a great time camping with the family, couldn't ask for anything more. I walk through the door, tired from a long drive home, and something doesn't feel right to me. I look in my main upstairs 55 gal, home to my favorite stendkers, and find a disaster.

Every single fish has white film over thier eye, fins a tad frayed, super dark and hanging out in the back.... some have scratches and scales missing. I just sat in front of my tank for a good half hour just thinking to myself... "why does it always happen when you leave town?"

Sidenote.. no one took care of my tanks as I was trying to avoid problems such as this... such irony..

Anyway.. I dont see any outward signs of disease. So.. I did a WC, turned out the lights... and I'll do the same thing in the morning... lets hope for the best.

Hey Ben, sorry to hear buddy. Hopefully the water changes get them back on track. If they dont improve, you'll most like have to follow up with an antibiotic to supress bacteria. Keep us posted

Eddie

Jennie
09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm curious as to what could cause this in just 3 days??

Eddie
09-06-2010, 09:39 PM

First thought, PH crash maybe.

Ben, what's your water like, kH and PH wise? Do you use tap or RO?

Aquaben19
09-06-2010, 09:42 PM

Me too! IMO, I have a strange feeling it was a system crash. I keep a pH of about 6.2 in that tank but the water is not very soft so I thought it was quite stable.... I don't keep test kits at my house so I kept some of the siphoned water to test up my LFS tomorrow.

We shall see... but I think alot of fresh water will be really good.

Aquaben19
09-06-2010, 09:43 PM
First thought, PH crash maybe.

Ben, what's your water like, kH and PH wise? Do you use tap or RO?

Aged tap that has been run through a britta water filter.

Eddie
09-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Me too! IMO, I have a strange feeling it was a system crash. I keep a pH of about 6.2 in that tank but the water is not very soft so I thought it was quite stable.... I don't keep test kits at my house so I kept some of the siphoned water to test up my LFS tomorrow.

We shall see... but I think alot of fresh water will be really good.

If your ph is 6.2, your KH may be low. And then you add the normal nitrification process, this reduces kH of the water. I believe it was a ph crash that caused the problem. Just my theory.

Aquaben19
09-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Yes. It was a pH crash.

My only question is, will thier eyes get better? I had no deaths, luckily. No disease breakout from weakened immune systems. All are eating well. Some just have a white film on thier eyes, almost like a blister we would get from a sunburn. Will they go away or are these guys eyes done for?

Eddie
09-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Yes. It was a pH crash.

My only question is, will thier eyes get better? I had no deaths, luckily. No disease breakout from weakened immune systems. All are eating well. Some just have a white film on thier eyes, almost like a blister we would get from a sunburn. Will they go away or are these guys eyes done for?

They should heal, just takes a long time for eyes to recover.