PDA

View Full Version : Plant Suggestion

Blue Ram
09-06-2010, 11:42 PM
In the next week or so I am going to redo my 90 gal discus (8 adult discus) tank that has been set up for a couple of years. I'm removing the gravel and a very large piece of driftwood that takes up 1/3 of the tank. I plan on creating a terrace in the back portion of the tank using mostly dark fluorite (not black) substrate. I'm considering using a piece of plexiglass to shape and hold the fluorite where I want and then in front of the plexiglass using some rocks to break up the line where the substrate will change to white pool filter sand. I'm hoping with this, I can keep the two substrates more or less separate. I'll use the fluorite to plant some plants although I prefer to keep the tank quite open as the discus are well accustomed to being out in the open. I'll have some small pieces of driftwood in the tank for hiding spots for the bottom dwelling fish.
Since the tank is open top, I thought I would try a plant that would grow out of the tank or something that doesn't need to be planted. Do not want anything too big. Have a 4' double T5HO light - no C02.
Looking for some suggestions and/or comments on what I'm considering.

Jennie
09-06-2010, 11:47 PM
http://www.aquariumplantsandsupplies.com/index.php

site describes what each plant requires or doesn't require.

They also ship nice stuff

jduboscarf
09-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Did a lot of research myself for low light & no co2 so I went with nana, nana petite, crypt, java moss & fern, & sag. I do use Excel every other day and have seen growth. Flourite for bedding.