PDA

View Full Version : Petrified discus

Discus_Dan
09-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Has anyone ever experiencied discus being really scared due to the tank lighting?

The reason I ask is because my juvie discus have always been very relaxed, agressive eating, and always happy to see me... until one day whenever I went to the tank they would be petrified and dart around but still very healthy looking.

I tried numerous things including more frequent water changes, changing the layout of the tank etc but nothing worked. I then noticed that in the morning when the tank lights were off (natural daylight) they were much more relaxed and would eat out of my hand again. So I removed one of the two lights and they become less stressed, so then I removed the reflector from the one remaining light to reduce the lighting further and they are MUCH better. The tank now has a nice dim natural looking light to it. Anybody else experienced anything similar? Dan.

Eddie
09-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Yes, I have also had discus do the same. They'll eventually get used to it. I had a group that took a LONG time to get used to normal tank lights, like months and months. Overall, I prefer them under regular/minimal lighting anyways. ;)

Discus_Dan
09-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Well that is very reassuring to hear. I thought I had some weird discus on my hands. I can appreciate it must take ages because I have been trying for a month or two already!. I have to agree they do look nice under subdued lighting although they are still a bit jumpy. Will they eventualy just calm down?. Thanks.

Eddie
09-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Well that is very reassuring to hear. I thought I had some weird discus on my hands. I can appreciate it must take ages because I have been trying for a month or two already!. I have to agree they do look nice under subdued lighting although they are still a bit jumpy. Will they eventualy just calm down?. Thanks.

They should, but just ensure the tank isn't in an area where there is alot of traffic/movement. Vibrations tend to make them jumpy.

Eddie

Discus_Dan
09-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Ok thanks for your advice ;)

vera
09-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Yes, I have also had discus do the same. They'll eventually get used to it. I had a group that took a LONG time to get used to normal tank lights, like months and months. Overall, I prefer them under regular/minimal lighting anyways. ;)

+1 , eventually mine relaxed and were eating from hand