PDA

View Full Version : film on water surface,.. harmful???

maxpain
09-07-2010, 02:01 PM
hello. i was looking through the 10,000 threads(ok, maybe only a few dozen pages) but i did not see anything about the film on the surface of the water. if there is a thread on this subject, can someone please send me the link. thanks.

note: not being lazy, i could be on this site for hours but truthfully, my wife would kill me and i have a stupid lawn to mow.

here's my question....

1) what is the film that is on the surface of my tank water?
2) is it harmful? if it is, how can i get rid of it?

it's probably common fish keeping knowledge but i don't know it.

here's some specs of my set up just in case it may be relevant to my question.

90 gallon community planted with gravel substrate.
6 juvies(2"-3"), and about 10 small fishies
405 canister & hob filter.
108 watts for lighting.

WC's,....well, i know i could be doing more frequent wc's but i have to go mow that stupid lawn.
i strive to do two 60 % wc/week. to be honest it's been once a week for about a month now. i'm making a promise to do more frequent wc's.

Note: discus looks healthy. they are active and eats mostly everything. i have one picky eater out of 6. i know, i know, i know, they could and would and be happier and healthier with more frequent wc's!!! doing what i can guys.

so,... about the film!!! thanks in advance for reading this!!!

Jennie
09-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Hmmm still need specs/perameters
when's the last time u cleaned filters
have u added any chems and if so what?
What are you feeding
when's the last time u wiped down tank
any new decorations

lots of questions

DiscusLoverJeff
09-07-2010, 02:12 PM
It is probably a protein buildup on the water. You probably need a protein skimmer to get rid of it. I would also recommend more surface movement, possibly a power head.

It should be fine after that. You may not be getting the proper water flow in the tank.

sion
09-07-2010, 02:13 PM
to clear it up quickly .do a surface skim ,simply drain the water from the top of the tank ,with a small cup or something ..fwiw

maxpain
09-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Hmmm still need specs/perameters
when's the last time u cleaned filters
have u added any chems and if so what?
What are you feeding
when's the last time u wiped down tank
any new decorations

lots of questions

i alternate cleaning the filters with each water change.
i did not add any chemicals
i feed them: al's fdbw, ken's beefheart & hbh discus flakes, ON reef flakes, and frozen bloodworms.
i wipe down all glass surfaces with every water change
no new decorations

i've thought about adding a powerhead, but i thought it would be to much current in the tank. i will take your advice and try it out.

i could clear it up quickly and drain it with a cup but it might just reaccure.

my second question again?
-is this harmful or is it just asthetically unpleasant?

DiscusLoverJeff
09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
If it is indeed just protein buildup, it should not be harmful to the fish unless it is neglected. If you are worried about too much water movement, you could always add a couple airstones in the corners that will also breakup surface water a bit.

maxpain
09-07-2010, 03:23 PM
i like the airstone idea better. i will do that. i thought the Hob filter would've done the job of breaking up the surface water. i guess not.

thanks for the response everyone.

danny2013
09-07-2010, 04:13 PM
I get it all the time. Is it that cloudy floating looking substance that coats your aquarium's surface? If it is dont be worried because I have had it on and off for weeks at a time and it never hurt my fish. Hope that helps, Dan

nc0gnet0
09-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Oils from the fish food.......no biggee...but more water changes can't hurt :)

jimg
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I had this when I first set up my 90 planted. I believe it is a form of protein or type of bacterial bloom, don't remember, just remember it wasn't oil. I just guided it with a powerhead to the overflow i have. eventually it went away.Only happened to a planted tank, never any others.

Jhhnn
09-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Whether it's oil or protein, it's easy enough to take care of during water changes. I hold the end of the siphon hose just below the surface to form a vortex, send the stuff down the drain. I get some air in the hose that way, but after a little practice, it doesn't break the siphon... The stuff seems to accumulate in the corners away from a rising stream of bubbles. I never even try for 100% removal, I just keep it under control so most of the water surface is open from it...

maxpain
09-08-2010, 12:54 AM
the comments from everyone has been very insightful, thanks. yes, more frequent wc's will have to be worked in. the fall is fast approaching and i'm so glad i will not have to cut the grass as often but... the stupid leaves. it never ends. lol.
as long as i know that it will not hurt the fish then i am fine with the film.

tcyiu
09-08-2010, 01:11 AM
I have this in spades when I feed beefheart. Could be oils or could be proteins (I didn't think that protein films form easily in freshwater...?)

Nonetheless, I would definitely try to remove it. The main reason is that it presents a barrier to gaseous exchange. I wouldn't obsess over it. It's not toxic or anything.

Tim

Palue
09-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Hello, I have this too the odd time. All I do is move my outflow from my canister like you have up a bit so its blowing more at the top of the water rather than fully under the water. Mine clears up in a few min after doing that. More surface movement is all that is required.

Discus master
09-10-2010, 02:34 PM
hello. i was looking through the 10,000 threads(ok, maybe only a few dozen pages) but i did not see anything about the film on the surface of the water. if there is a thread on this subject, can someone please send me the link. thanks.

note: not being lazy, i could be on this site for hours but truthfully, my wife would kill me and i have a stupid lawn to mow.

here's my question....

1) what is the film that is on the surface of my tank water?
2) is it harmful? if it is, how can i get rid of it?

it's probably common fish keeping knowledge but i don't know it.

here's some specs of my set up just in case it may be relevant to my question.

90 gallon community planted with gravel substrate.
6 juvies(2"-3"), and about 10 small fishies
405 canister & hob filter.
108 watts for lighting.

WC's,....well, i know i could be doing more frequent wc's but i have to go mow that stupid lawn.
i strive to do two 60 % wc/week. to be honest it's been once a week for about a month now. i'm making a promise to do more frequent wc's.

Note: discus looks healthy. they are active and eats mostly everything. i have one picky eater out of 6. i know, i know, i know, they could and would and be happier and healthier with more frequent wc's!!! doing what i can guys.

so,... about the film!!! thanks in advance for reading this!!!

Honestly and this is just from what I have read and not actually experinced, but you probably need more surface agitation, more oxygen try like an air stone or something like that, small power head was sugested that would work as well.

lpiasente
09-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Oils from the fish food.......no biggee...but more water changes can't hurt :)

+1

scottishbloke
09-14-2010, 12:21 AM
I had this same problem from feeding lots of beefheart...bought a surface skimmer online for about $8 plus shipping, and after attaching it to a small powerhead it cleared up the film in less than 5 minutes. I use the skimmer all the time now, works wonderfully if you clean it regularly. The model I have is the inexpensive one (Eheim make a more expensive self-adjusting model) that must be adjusted manually to the water level in the tank, but it is very easy indeed, takes me all of 10 seconds to adjust it.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&siId=3811931&catParentID=48471&scId=48471&ctl_nbr=3684&utm_source=Froogle&utm_campaign=FroogleUSA+Datafeed&utm_medium=Comparison+Shopping&CAWELAID=388705120

HTH,

Colin

maxpain
09-14-2010, 12:33 PM
thanks everyone. with all the great advice, i finally got it under control.

Laborator
02-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Is your tank close to the kitchen with an open top Sometimes when your frying something or cooking, airborne particles can travel and settle on top.

maxpain
02-14-2011, 08:31 PM
no, it's no where near the kitchen. it has a glass canopy.