PDA

View Full Version : need advice on new controller that went wacky

Jennie
09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
I bought a controller less than a month ago and this morning I wake up and the tank water is very warm. Fish are alive and well but water temp read 92 degrees controller reads 146 degrees, yeah, scary. I have no idea what happened but glad I'm up at 330 a. m. anyway I unplug the heaters and controller, open up the canopy's and let the water cool down. I tried resetting the controller to no avail. I emailed jehmco, where I purchased this controller(to of the line supposedly) they emailed back and they give me possible scenarios and fixits but nothing worked. I even put the temperature scensor in a glass of cold water and the temp still read 146??? unplugged it for awhile to reset and still no. I push the up/down arrows and get an E1 reading. that's toast, right? Before I leave for work the water cooled down enough to where I plugged one heater back in to maintain 84 all day. Called jehmco and told them what was going on, so now sending the unit back to jehmco for repair or replacement. I'm really worried about getting this same repaired unit back. I was wondering if it would do any good to insist that I receive a new one and not a repaired one. what are your thoughts. :confused:

jimg
09-07-2010, 08:24 PM
I use Ranco have never had any problems with them......shhhhhh!
I think that's what jehmco sells. John at Jehmco is excellent to deal with.
I would definitely not recommend any aquamedic controllers .

Jennie
09-07-2010, 08:30 PM
it's the etci-1r model. what is your opinion on this model? should I refuse the repair and ask for upgrade? here is site of controllers he sells.
http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

jimg
09-07-2010, 08:42 PM
That looks like the ranco I have. trust John

Jennie
09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
ok, it's the repairing it that scares me.

jimg
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
He won't send you a replacement new one?

Jennie
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
yes less than a month old. Should I insist on new one?

He won't send you a replacement new one? did you just get it from him?

jimg
09-07-2010, 08:53 PM
It's up to you, I have dealt with them for a few years now and really like them so I wouldn't give him a hard time.

Jennie
09-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I've no intent to give him hard time, I just am nervous using faulty controller.
If I had bought a year ago then yes, repair but just a few weeks old. $77 for repaired unit less than 3 weeks in use is tough to swallow.

here is an inquiry to David Rose thread I made on the 18th

08-18-2010, 07:47 AM #19
DiscusLover65
Registered Member

Re: Jehmco Titanium Heater w/Controller
Hmmm very interesting david as that was the heater I was going to order.
As for the rest of replies it was my understanding that the glass heaters worked better???
So I purchased 2 250 watt jagers with a seperate controller at the advice of jehmco for the 125 gallon.
hope I don't have problems with these items.

jimg
09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
I hear ya' It is easy for me to say I wouldn't give a hard time but I remember when I came home to a cold tank when my aquamedic was off, I was on the phone asap! and not nice. and they never would even repair it!
I would just call john and tell him how you feel. I don't think they repair them anyway, all computer type chips. i think they just put a whole new board in or see that you are correct and send you a new one anyway.

Jennie
09-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Thanx, I will send him letter along with the unit. He's nice guy and got back to me right away. I have no probs with him. :)

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-07-2010, 09:32 PM
E1 means the board is gone. It'll be a flat out replacement. There is no fixing these controllers typically. A Ranco/Process Tech controller is definitely good quality, but even the best will have faulty boards once in a while since they are mass produced. It should definitely be under warranty from the manufacturer given the time frame. It's unfortunate that it happened, but it does happen.

-Ryan

Jennie
09-07-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm glad no fish were lost! thanx for reply

David Rose
09-08-2010, 10:56 AM
John will take care of you with getting you a replacement, but I would stick to what other Simply users have used and tested previously for your benefit.

Jennie
09-08-2010, 11:16 AM
thanx David. apparently it is the ranco model:)

Jhhnn
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Get the calibration right on your Jager heaters, use them w/o a controller while John sorts out the failed unit. It happens- a small % of all electronic devices fail early in their life. His reputation is rock solid- I'm confident he'll take care of you. Repaired or replaced, it doesn't really matter, so long as it works and the warranty remains in effect.