PDA

View Full Version : What is the perfect breeding tank?

DiscusLoverJeff
09-08-2010, 08:33 PM
As the title says, what makes for the perfect breeding tank? Size? Filtration? Painted sides?

I have a 30 gallon tank with the sides painted blue and a bare bottom non painted.

I also have 2 20 gallon tall tanks, that I want to use but only if they are not too small. So lets hear your choices please.

I must say CozyKeith has some nice 29 gallon tall tanks that look perfect.

ref0716
09-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I prefer 29 gallon, but 30 would be my next choice. I suppose a 20 high (but not long) would suffice, but seems a tad small especially if parents are large. I paint or cover three sides, and bare bottom with only a sponge filter going slowly to minimize current. Everybody does it differently, but this works for me. Good luck.
Richard

kent1963
09-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I personally prefer the 40 breeders I think the extra width relaxes the fish. I like the painted bottoms and cover the backs but leave the sides open.

Eddie
09-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I'd use them all if you have the pairs for it. If I had 1 pair to deal with, then the 30 would be my choice.

Sponge filter, cover the sides if you dont want to paint them but I paint mine.

AirCapital
09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I like 65breeders, alot of room and if for some reason you need to split the fish up there is plenty of space for each fish

ockyra215
09-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Well back in the day I started with 30 longs but I went to 29s as I like the foot print better and I had painted all the sides except the front also painted the bottom. sponge filter and a HOB filter. this worked for me back then and I hope it will work for me again:D

Keith Perkins
09-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I suppose it won't be a major shock if I vote for 29s. Jeff knows all this all ready, but just for the record I don't like paint. Mine all sit on formica counter top, so I don't worry about the bottoms. I cut frosted florescent light panels to cover the backs of my tanks, and pieces of the same to cover the sides as I see fit. My tanks sit tight side by side so I can just slide the pieces in an out as I want the pairs to see each other. Want to create a little protection instinct, pull a panel. Create privacy, slide one in. I do cover the ends at the ends of the row to help avoid spooking them as folks walk past.

Jeff, you owe me a PM on how the beefheart we made is working out for you.

laborelch
07-07-2011, 07:47 PM
i know this thread is a bit old, but one quick question: how do you cover up the black frame that shows through the bottom for albino breeding? Just silicone it over with white silicone or use krylon fusion inside the tank? Got two 29g breeders and will paint the sides/bottom white from the outside, but it will still be showing the black frame inside...?

Keith Perkins
07-07-2011, 08:59 PM
I'd go with with white GE Silicone I. It's what many here use for resealing tanks, contains no anti-fungus crap and performs really well.

Skip
07-07-2011, 09:04 PM
i don't think the black makes a difference unless its your personal taste

Keith Perkins
07-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Skip - I have had certain batches of fry that a portion or the fry seemed to constantly go to a dark corner, so I could see where covering it with white might help. Shining a light into the front of the tank from near the top causing a dark looking spot behind the parents though might be more effective.

Melissa
07-08-2011, 05:49 AM
I figure if the fry are dumb enough to hang around with the black frame and starve instead of finding it's parents, natural selection dude. LOL I've never had a big problem with new free swimmers being too strongly attracted to the black frame on my breeder tank though.... :) :)

As for size, I've even used a 15 gallon :) no joke. AND I kept 50-60 fry in it until they were 1 1/2- 2"..... I am not joking. The fry turned out pretty nice too. No matter the size of the tank, the most important thing about breeding is water changes and maintenance. Tank wipe downs are mandatory... You've got to keep the fry healthy and keep any gunk from building up in the corners or on the bottom.

Elite Aquaria
07-08-2011, 07:51 AM
I use 20 gallon tall. My BK pair is 6.5-7" and I have about 120 fry in the tank with no issues. I do change my water on that tank 2xs per day and approx 75-80%. If I had room I may have gone with the 29 like others have mentioned.

laborelch
07-08-2011, 08:03 PM
thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Don't think I'll silicone the bottom - the tank that had an issue with fry sticking to the corner was a 30g with black silicone all the way up the glass. The new 29g's only have the black frame on the bottom and clear silicone on the sides.

Keith Perkins
07-08-2011, 08:42 PM
If you really want to know how to do the light trick, call Dan (Elite Aquaria). He's the one who told me about it.

nc0gnet0
07-09-2011, 12:10 AM
The ideal breeding tank is acryllic.

Rick