PDA

View Full Version : Carophyll Pink / Yellow

tdiscusman
09-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Just wonder what everyone here feel about Carophyll Pink or Yellow. If it's available would you try it?

Thanks
Tony

kaceyo
09-09-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't know anything about C yellow so I can't comment on it.
I would be willing to try C Pink considering that it's just synthetic astaxanthin. While it does have the potential to do more harm than natural astaxanthin due to overdose, that can be easily avoided simply by sticking to it's known safe parameters.

tdiscusman
09-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Thank you Kacey,

I agreed overdose on anything is not good. C. Yellow is for color enhancing yellow discus. Many of the pb based Red/Yellow are basically the same fishes only difference is which color enhancers you use. Here's the instruction I've got for C Pink/Yellow:

Instruction:
Beef Heart/Sea Food Mix: Add 2 grams of Carophyll per 1 kilogram (~2 pounds) of mix. keep the mix refrigerated and feed for 5 days. For best result , avoid adding any other ingredient which contained color enhancing carotenoid in them such as praprika, natural rose, carot, krill, shrimp etc.

Pellets – Mix 2 grams of Carophyll in 20ml of water and spray the solution on 400 grams of pellet food let dry, or dry in oven at 200 degree oF. Feed for 5 days. For best result, make sure pellets do not contain any ingredients contained color enhancing carotenoid such as praprika, natural rose, carot, krill, shrimp etc.

Crickets: Mix 1 gram of Carophyll in 5ml of water, use a syringe and inject into about 5-10 crickets. Feed crickets to fish immediately after injecting with Carophyll solution.

I don't know anything about C yellow so I can't comment on it.
I would be willing to try C Pink considering that it's just synthetic astaxanthin. While it does have the potential to do more harm than natural astaxanthin due to overdose, that can be easily avoided simply by sticking to it's known safe parameters.

kaceyo
09-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Where did you find the directions at? It didn't specify which type of Carophyll
to add that amount to?

tdiscusman
09-09-2010, 07:08 PM
It came with my order. DSM reps told me it's apply to both C. Pink and C. Yellow. Just got the order yesterday. trial testing the C Pink on my manderin passions and red cover right now. Don't have any yellow discus to test the C Yellow yet.

I've also verify the instruction with my pro. breeder friends and they say it's correct. They also say that depending on size > 3.5" they often feed it for 10-15 days instead of 5. They feed this 2 weeks prior to fish being ship out.

Tony

Where did you find the directions at? It didn't specify which type of Carophyll
to add that amount to?

kaceyo
09-09-2010, 08:32 PM
I didn't know they sold it retail to the public. I think it's the key to getting red strains that look like the asian imports.

h2osanity
09-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Is the dosed cricket use for reptiles or discus?

tdiscusman
09-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Is the dosed cricket use for reptiles or discus?

cricket and superworm are use to feed arowana.

Tony

tdiscusman
09-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, I agreed, as I have tried natural rose, praprika, salmon, all of them turn fish orange and color bleeded. They have many other enhancer like cr6, white crane, and some other red enhancer made in Germany (don't know what the name is). However, C Pink is the most popular among the my friends breeders group. They specialize in red/yellow and PB.

I'm not sure if DSM selling to public or not. The DSM guy i was referred to only sell to professional breeders.

Tony

I didn't know they sold it retail to the public. I think it's the key to getting red strains that look like the asian imports.

h2osanity
09-09-2010, 10:18 PM
There are many reptile breeders here that use dosed crickets for colour etc...I just wondered if the discus would eat them as well, they'd have to be pretty sizable or the crickets crushed up well. Thanks for clarifying.

tdiscusman
09-09-2010, 10:54 PM
I doubt that Discus will eat crickets, they might. Discus like to feed at mid water or at the bottom. Crickets would float and probably too crunchy for their liking.

Tony

There are many reptile breeders here that use dosed crickets for colour etc...I just wondered if the discus would eat them as well, they'd have to be pretty sizable or the crickets crushed up well. Thanks for clarifying.

h2osanity
09-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Uh huh, that's what I thought, :D the whole injecting crickets thing is not relevant for discus :D

tdiscusman
09-10-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm looking for someone to help me test the C Yellow. If you have yellow discus or juvie discus that have PB in them (have not been color feed) and wanted to enhance their color or wanted them to become yellow please PM me. I'll send you some free sample.

Thanks
Tony

tirthabratapanja
07-09-2012, 05:08 AM
Hi I am a hobbyist come rearer and wholesaler of discus from India. I collect lots of discus from Indian breeders. but never use any kind of Carophyll before. but to enhace good coloring I wish to use carofill yellow in some of my pegion and carophil red to another batch. but here in India only CR6 available as Red color enhancer and CR8 as Yellow Color enhancer. I have heared that those products contain carofills. Can I use those?? In what ratio I should use those to enhance good color????

I have heared that those product damage the breeding capacity of discus is it true????

Can I use that in my future breeding stock????

When i will stop feed carofill to my discus color automatically faded???? Or it never go????

tirthabratapanja
07-09-2012, 05:18 AM
Is CR6 / CR8 safe for discus?? It not effect to their health?? Male fertilize well after using CR??

bornlooser
07-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Since we are in the subject also like to know the difference between Astaxanthin and Canthaxanthin.....which enhances the color red more ?

Borderdog
07-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I prefer my fish all natural. Especially if they are going to lose the enhanced coloring after I buy them, or if their health is otherwise effected.