PDA

View Full Version : Producing White Faeces

bob70
09-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I have a big Blue. Age around 7 years. For the last few days its apetite is less. Today i have seen it is producing very thin white faeces. Fins are partially cramped. Staying at the back of the tank. Eating only prawn & tetra bits.Please HELP.

boxters
09-09-2010, 09:59 PM
ill keep it simple for you. This is caused by intestinal parasites and very common with discus. You need to treat with metronidazole emediately because once they stop eating all together they die

bob70
09-09-2010, 10:35 PM
How make him eat metronidazol? Shall i dilute it in water?

AirCapital
09-09-2010, 10:51 PM
How make him eat metronidazol? Shall i dilute it in water?

you should treat the water with metro raise the temp to 89-92 degrees and soak bloodworms in metro dilluted with water for a few hrs or overnite and see if he will eat if he is still eating some what that will help, metro works best imo threw the gut

boxters
09-10-2010, 12:07 AM
They need to be in a separate tank. If using metro tablets 250 mg per tab treat 1 tab per 40 litres and treat for 5 days. Soak food in some too. It must be dissolved in hot water

Eddie
09-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Feeding metro and also performing a bath is not advised. It can kill the fishes kidney's. I recommend one or the other with oral being the better of the 2.

Eddie

bob70
09-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Will garlic paste be of any help?

Eddie
09-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Will garlic paste be of any help?

No

bob70
09-14-2010, 06:42 AM
I did 100% water change. Add Prodac Aquasana, Now the fish is taking tetra Bits & Live warms but spitting out. I think the gill covers are littel swelled.What shall I do? please help.

Eddie
09-14-2010, 06:55 AM
I did 100% water change. Add Prodac Aquasana, Now the fish is taking tetra Bits & Live warms but spitting out. I think the gill covers are littel swelled.What shall I do? please help.

Why do you think the gills are swelled? Can you get a picture or video? How long did you treat with metro, what method and what amount?

bob70
09-14-2010, 08:19 AM
I geve it prawn. Eat but having problem in swallowing. I gave it prawn mixed woth metro taken twice after that stopped eating. now again started eating but not bloowrorms (FD), Tbits or live worms only prawn. What shall I do? What is the normal lifespan of Discus? I have heard 7 years. I want it to live as long as i live. I the next post I will send pict.

Eddie
09-14-2010, 08:22 AM
I geve it prawn. Eat but having problem in swallowing. I gave it prawn mixed woth metro taken twice after that stopped eating. now again started eating but not bloowrorms (FD), Tbits or live worms only prawn. What shall I do? What is the normal lifespan of Discus? I have heard 7 years. I want it to live as long as i live. I the next post I will send pict.

Prawns, how are they prepared?

Lifespan can range from 5-10 years, some more.

bob70
09-14-2010, 08:35 AM
So my one is old enough. Prawns are washed in plain water severel times, shell removed, entestine removed washed again. Kept deep fridge. For feeding taken out and thawed for 15 mins, choped, washed, fed by hand. Doing this for severel years. Beef is prohabited.

Eddie
09-14-2010, 08:41 AM
So my one is old enough. Prawns are washed in plain water severel times, shell removed, entestine removed washed again. Kept deep fridge. For feeding taken out and thawed for 15 mins, choped, washed, fed by hand. Doing this for severel years. Beef is prohabited.

Why not try making a mix or something, finely processed prawns, ocean fish, garlic and vitamins.

bob70
09-14-2010, 09:00 AM
In INDIA binder is not very available. So finely chopped prawn and fish will create amess in the water. Garlic is abandon, Once in a week i soke prawn pices in garlic paste for 1/2 hr and fed. I give the tetra bits (Only available fish food) once daily. By BD now is not staying at back, Fins are all open, as soon as sees me starts playing. But can not swallow enough food.

Eddie
09-14-2010, 09:12 AM
In INDIA binder is not very available. So finely chopped prawn and fish will create amess in the water. Garlic is abandon, Once in a week i soke prawn pices in garlic paste for 1/2 hr and fed. I give the tetra bits (Only available fish food) once daily. By BD now is not staying at back, Fins are all open, as soon as sees me starts playing. But can not swallow enough food.

No need for a binder, the shrimp or prawns will bind everything.

bob70
09-14-2010, 08:46 PM
When you mention metro is it the one made for aqua use or the human version?

Eddie
09-14-2010, 08:52 PM
When you mention metro is it the one made for aqua use or the human version?

Metro is metro, some people sometimes use metro for humans to treat their fish. Here in the US, we can get laboratory grade powdered metro which is much more soluble.

Eddie

jimg
09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
No need for a binder, the shrimp or prawns will bind everything.

I use calves liver and shrimp in my bh They make a lot more mess in the water unless I use agar powder. I've done it using more shrimp and I see much better holding with agar. Makes it easier cutting into small 1/8" pieces too.

bob70
09-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Here vet shops never heard that metro ever made for aquarium use. My tank has 60gal water, today i changed 10gals add fresh and 6unit 400mg smashed metro. Let's see?

uberdave
09-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Just a bit off topic, anyone know a site that you can order Metronidazole for cheap? LFS sells it for $10 per 5 grams in Canada.

bob70
09-15-2010, 07:13 AM
You are lucky uberdave. I am in INDIA.

Eddie
09-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Just a bit off topic, anyone know a site that you can order Metronidazole for cheap? LFS sells it for $10 per 5 grams in Canada.

Check with Dan at Elite Aquaria, Jehmco or 4fishstuff.com

Eddie
09-15-2010, 08:53 AM
I use calves liver and shrimp in my bh They make a lot more mess in the water unless I use agar powder. I've done it using more shrimp and I see much better holding with agar. Makes it easier cutting into small 1/8" pieces too.

Yeah Jim, never ever used any additional binders, no need.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/RSG/Thanksgiving/th_RSGEating.jpg (http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/RSG/Thanksgiving/?action=view&current=RSGEating.mp4)

bob70
09-20-2010, 09:28 PM
I have treated them with metro for 3 days. Now the things are mostly ok. faeces not yet checked. Shall i continue metro treatment any more?

Eddie
09-20-2010, 10:37 PM
I have treated them with metro for 3 days. Now the things are mostly ok. faeces not yet checked. Shall i continue metro treatment any more?

Its up to you but I'd be done. Just keep the temp warm, about 86-88F and feed favorite foods.

Eddie

bob70
09-23-2010, 09:06 AM
The Blue taking prawn pices but still taking very long time to swallow it. For the others it is very quick They are all less than one year. I was thinking since they are jaw grinder with the age do they loose the efficiency of jaw muscle?